Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Caldicot Radio Control Car Club

Old 23-05-2011

Default Faster ?

Hi Guys,

I try and ask this on the Friday nights, buy it's always so busy, I just don't get the time to ask properly.

How do I go faster?

At the moment I seem to be top B, bottom A. but there is a 1-2 lap gap between me and the top A finisher. I've watched the top A drivers, and I can't see how on earth I can get that extra speed. I know not crashing will help, but normally (I think LOL) I don't need a marshal to many times. The top A finishers are just FAST to watch. They seem to be able to just go round corners at silly speeds.

I want to catch up, but how?

This is a serious question, so some solid help would be good

Many thanks.
Rob, Yellow Cougar.
Old 23-05-2011

It takes time my friend!!!!

If you watch the A - final guys they hardly crash 1 per race tops. also it's about finding the racing line to keep your speed through the bends. 1 crash in caldicot will loose you min of 1/2 lap.

concentrate on not crashing and speed will come.
Old 23-05-2011

Getting rid of a one way diff in 4wd.... that helps alot

On a more serious note, i totally agree with Axeman, and i would add drive slower or put a 10.5 motor in your car.

When we did the all day good friday racing i was driving round trying to get good lines and drive fast and the best i could do was 18 laps due to crashing. I then got so frustrated that i had almost given up and decided to go round at no more than half throttle, magically i drove more consistently, crashed less and jumped striaght from the 18 to a 20 and then to 21 so it is all about not crashing in such a small space as Caldicot.
Old 23-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
I want to catch up, but how?
Well if your running Vintage then cheating & cutting the track gives you an etra edge.... Or if you drive an S2 as well and your names are ' Cris & Bill '.....

Honestly, there's always someone faster than you no matter who you are, and if they are its generally down to practice.

Cars & equipment & set-ups are nice, but basically its...... practice, practice, practice.
Old 23-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

To be honest I think Rob is a pretty crash free driver, last week we swapped places 3 times in the final, down to me crashing and him having a clean run.

If he hadn't mistakenly thought that I was lapping him and gave up position then I doubt I would have overtaken him the last time!

Having said that, I agree with the others that one crash costs you half a lap at least on our track and that slower is often faster.

Having a consistant car helps greatly, having something that switches from under to over steer and back again is something that I'm struggling with at the moment and as a result I seem to be taking the longest way around the track some laps!
And finally (something else that I really should put into practice more) is don't try and make up the time lost by a crash, you are more likely to crash again!
Old 23-05-2011

Thanks guys for your help

I have also been advised to remove the Tekin 6.5 and fit a Speedpassion 8.5

I'm told, this will help with the huge power delivery at all points of throttle

I will try and crash less, SO, if you see a bright yellow car coming, you'll know I'm 'On a mission'

Rob.
Old 23-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You had a 6.5 in that?
Definately motor down - I'm running a 10.5 in my B4 and that's great at club.
Drat, just realised that you'll probably beat me now!
Old 23-05-2011

Beat you, I doubt it Pete