Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > WORM - Weston-Super-Mare

Old 04-04-2013

Default Newbie - Potential Racer Questions

Hi there,
Having given up on 1/10th touring cars and sold my cars I have decided to have a go at what really interests me which is 1/10th scale off road racing, living in Frome WSM is my closest track and you seem like a friendly bunch so I was intending to head down perhaps to the next meet.

However before I do I need to get myself a car, I have a budget of around £250 for a car complete with transmitter, motor and an ESC (the motor has to be brushless) so was looking at either the RTR RC10 B4.1 which looks like exceptional value or perhaps wait out for a second hand Durango, are there any other cars worth considering, whatever I choose needs to be able to fit my Lipo 2s packs that I already have.

I have above focused on a 2wd buggy but for a beginner (off road) would I be better off considering a 4wd buggy or a SCT?

One other question, my lad is very interested in racing too, do you have races for juniors (he is 6)?

Cheers
Old 04-04-2013
Mad Member

Hey Nugg,

If you fancy popping down, we got a race meeting this Sunday if you want to come and have a look? I can more than happily show you over my car you wish and advise you a bit further.

The B4 is still a good car but most of the 2WD cars are mid motored not rear now which I would most people would recommend to you. The Durango is a very good car and they do pop up second hand, I got mine for £120 over a year ago! Other cars I would recommend is the Yokomo B-MAX 2 Mid looks to be going pretty well and the Schumacher Cougar SV2 won our last meeting too so that clearly has the pace.

2WD is the way to go though, it's our most popular class and it will teach you set-up and to drive well. 4WD and Short course we don't get quite so big a turn out but I am sure that will grow in the summer

£130 Car
£50 Hobbywing Xerun 120a ESC on ebay
£30 7.5/8.5 Motor
£30 Ansmann/Flysky 2.4ghz Transmitter and Receiver

There's also a range of skills as the club so your lad will fit in fine, I started when I was 5 and just ran in and crashed with everyone else

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 04-04-2013

Thanks for that, I'll keep scouring the usual places for a car as I don't want to spend too much to start off with, the reason I short listed the Durango or RC10 is because of the spares availability and reputation (I'm struggling to find anyone that stocks the Yoko) and because they take stick and not saddle packs (Losi out as I don't want to replace my lipo's) the Cougar looks good too though.

Out of interest is the RC10 B4.1 competitive at club level?
Old 04-04-2013

MB models is the main shop to get yokomo gear and they do take saddle packs in mid motor config
Old 04-04-2013

Or speak to Rob at http://www.southwestrc.co.uk/ on sunday as he is the trackside shop and very helpfull.
Old 04-04-2013

Cheers, I've already tracked down southwest rc as a potential source for the new car, I've just done a bit more research and mid mount makes a lot of sense and MB Models (thanks for the tip off) do a RTR Brushless Durango for £289 that I didn't know was available and a good price compared with RC10 RTR when you compare the spec, however am I correct in assuming that any mid mount car will require either saddle packs or dumpy rectangular ones and not my expensive stick sized lipo's I've already got?
Old 04-04-2013

The schumacher sv2 with the stick converstion or the durango 210 can use stick lipo,s
Old 04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugg View Post
Cheers, I've already tracked down southwest rc as a potential source for the new car, I've just done a bit more research and mid mount makes a lot of sense and MB Models (thanks for the tip off) do a RTR Brushless Durango for £289 that I didn't know was available and a good price compared with RC10 RTR when you compare the spec, however am I correct in assuming that any mid mount car will require either saddle packs or dumpy rectangular ones and not my expensive stick sized lipo's I've already got?
The Durango is a great car speak to Rob im sure he can do you a deal and the great thing is that they are local which in my opinion is always a great thing to support as we always need a trackside shop
Old 04-04-2013
Mad Member

The Durango RTR car is a good car, you can run it in both mid and rear motor configs too and yes it will take that stick pack you already have.

Old 04-04-2013
Mad Member

DEX210 RTR, £200 one left!

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126123

Old 04-04-2013

hi

I have a Durango dex 210 rolling chassis three shells some spares , wheels and tyres, gear diff as well as the ball diff and some upgrades.
better than a rtr as you can buy a better speedo and motor than that which comes with the rtr, as once you start going quick they may be a bit slow or limited on adjustments

asking price £100,00 as you are another new member to worm

Neale

Old 04-04-2013

Cheers Neale and Dan, not sure what to do now both are great deals what motor and esc would you recommend for the dex rolling chassis? Also what time does racing start on Sunday? I'm doing something in the afternoon but could drop by in the morning
Old 05-04-2013

if you are looking for a buggy to get a taste without spending a lot then I have a mate with a set up he may sell, it is not the newest or most competitive but would get you starred and if you change your mind you have not spent a lot of money.
let me know if you are interested on my mobile

Neale
Old 05-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARB View Post
if you are looking for a buggy to get a taste without spending a lot then I have a mate with a set up he may sell, it is not the newest or most competitive but would get you starred and if you change your mind you have not spent a lot of money.
let me know if you are interested on my mobile

Neale

Cheers Neale I'll give you a call in a bit, I was after something to get me started that I could hand down to my boy at a later date, depending on cost I could be tempted with a cheap jobbie and perhaps the dex you offered that I could get running as and when the electrics become available
Old 05-04-2013

Oh and what time does the racing start on Sunday???
Old 05-04-2013

10 o'clock mate!!
Old 16-04-2013

I'm still interested in joining you racing chaps but things are conspiring against me at the moment, out of interest do you race 2 or 4wd SCT's?
Old 16-04-2013

Both ... and in the same class too !! Really 2wd is the more popular chassis type, and the Durango the most popular of 2wd but I still get a kick out of running my Associated SC10 ... so whatever takes your fancy
Old 16-04-2013

Cool, thanks for the quick reply
Old 16-04-2013

Excellent, just bought myself a brushless 2wd Traxxas Slash