Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 13-08-2010

i think ill be on the big track quite a bit but not as much as my mini-z tracks
Grant told me the lap record was around 18 seconds, just wondered how far off the pace i was whilst doing the vids, ill load it up on my laptop for next time
Old 13-08-2010

We had a couple of cars in the mid 17's on Wednesday night. Don't know what the fastest guy got on Sunday.

- Royal Racing Paint - <clicky>
Old 13-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
Grant told me the lap record was around 18 seconds, just wondered how far off the pace i was whilst doing the vids, ill load it up on my laptop for next time
The fastest lap by a 13.5 tourer is 16.26 i think. Don't know how fast the World GT's were going round, maybe dave can remember.
Old 13-08-2010

I'd check on the website if I could...

However, from memory I was doing mostly 18.1's and Jason about 17.8's

Dave
Old 13-08-2010

Not read this tread for a while, very interesting!!

I am amazed by some of the criticism of a venue that most of you have never seen in the flesh let alone raced at.

IF there is a slight problem with a part of a track be it width or pit lane or whatever, so what? Both the tracks are perfectly smooth oblongs of tarmac. Fixing it is just a matter of a bit of paint!

It's not like the first meetings these tracks are going to see are BRCA nationals, the point of a shakedown meeting (s) is to sort these problems out.

Does anyone think that a multi million pound facility won't be able to make a couple of amendments to a track design that might cost ..... £50 worth of paint?

I don't understand why certain organisers of other clubs seem to want to pour scorn on the facility, it is a genuine opportunity for RC racing to finally be recognised as a legitimate Motorsport with it's "HQ" at Silverstone and backing from people like Porsche.

Trust me, as someone who is more involved than any of you in promoting this sport worldwide this is what we need and it is in all our interests to support it and make it work

Nick Daman
Old 13-08-2010

Hear! Hear!

Points well made Nick!
Old 13-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I think, if people are actually seeing issue's on the circuit just from the pics, people may wonder who has advised them, and why these mistakes are there.... I don't think they are condemning the facilities due to it.
Old 13-08-2010

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baD View Post
"Moto-Arena is also the home of the BRCA and local model car clubs"

Is this true? Officially?
Brca part is incorrect
Old 13-08-2010

Nick I'm not knocking it. Im off next wed and habe been talking to grant.
What does confuse me is (and I have spoke to grant and discussed it). There is a meeting for 10th ic touring cars but the section knew nothing about it till this week.
It's claimed the track was designed by dez. Where he asures me its not. He did some simple sketches. That's it.
Yes they have built a brilliant venue but if they are stating it will be suitable for world class meetings then in my opinion they should consult the sections to ensure its to the correct standard. From day one while building from scratch.
There is concerns for nationals as surly this is where the pay and play kids can see the best in the UK race. If its not suitable. In my opinion they have missed an opportunity .
We will see wed as I'm getting off my arse and looking at it myself.
Old 14-08-2010

Does anyone know if there any events on at the MA over the weekend 21/22nd August other than the MKRCTC racing on 22nd?

When I first looked on the MA website they had Large Scale and all sorts going on. Can't find any reference to it now. Has it all been cancelled?

Thanks for any info.
Old 14-08-2010

I believe there is arrive and drive on the outdoor track....not sure if it's only nitros or electric or both. Although I'd like to think all the electric guys will be racing with us...
Old 16-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
Gone of the days where there were 1/10 off road tracks all over the region, which is a shame. What we need is a good grass track, and if they can offer one then I think it would be good for the sport.

PTRU re a clay track - if you build one then people will attend.
we race on clay here at woodys in lincolnshire. feel free to come down and have a look
Old 16-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagofSkill View Post
We had a couple of cars in the mid 17's on Wednesday night. Don't know what the fastest guy got on Sunday.

16.68 is the fastest lap anyone managed at the first meeting on the 8th.
Old 16-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaran View Post
we race on clay here at woodys in lincolnshire. feel free to come down and have a look
link?
Old 16-08-2010

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51820

PM for info on our new track near ruskington, lincs (every sunday offroad all scales and classes!)
Old 16-08-2010

outdoor track is now painted and looking good, had a go round with our tf-5 box stocker
took a mini-z and a dnano! round the indoor track, its soooooo smooth in there, also drove my 1/12 today with good results but still working on a good setup for the tarmac
Old 22-08-2010

Ok first meeting there today for the public. http://www.mkrctc.org.uk/cms2/index....&catid=55:2010

Reality was very different. I am sure that the issues are teething problems and Grant (the MD of Moto Arena) did apologise but...

Doors didnt open till 8.30 although practice was due at 8. (most drivers therefore arrived at 7.30), 60 drivers waiting outside and spoken to by the MA track manager / BRCA Official like we were irrelevant to him and the meeting wasnt a great start.

Obviously this got the day off to a bad start and I felt sorry for the Milton Keynes committee who were stood outside with us! To me it showed an absolute lack of respect from MA and I'm not sure who the BRCA Official was who barked health and safety at us but maybe in future it is better left to a club official.

His comment that there weren't many smiling faces was correct. there weren't!

On to the racing and MK ran a smooth meeting, keeping to time and respecting when genuine delays meant it was better to delay a heat / final a few moments. I dont think anyone minds when that happens and it shows that the club want every driver to have a good day.

Prizes / Trophies. Ma had committed to prizes which were understoood to be Ferrari and Porsche based. They actually gave an entry ticket to the "grand opening" of MA. As an event promoted as " special race meeting with loads of prizes open to all racers." that is a piss take. At £10 entry for a meet you expect to have trophies for the podium, and prizes if advertised (and a podium!).

As a venue it was superb, the track is good (apparently it is a minimum of 3m at every point) and smooth (watch out for the bump at the end of the straight, caught a few out!). The facilities are clean, the coffee is fresh (£1.50 a cup) and the burgers cooked to order (£5 with chips).

Upstairs the simulators are well worth a go. As the slowest driver in our group I'm not sure they were accurate , but well worth the £8 for the full cars and even better value at £4 for the "half an F1" modules.

So great venue, good facilities, but work on your PR and keep to your word. It may be a communication issue but it needs resolving.
Old 22-08-2010
Mad Member

It was explained that there were some last-minute hitches inside the building that kept us waiting outside, and an apology was given to us all. The guy on the rostrum giving us the mandatory H&S brief was not a BRCA Official. As he pointed out many times, he was an MA employee, and he said that he had also briefed the Club Committee who were now responsible for the running of the meeting. From where I was listening he explained that this briefing was compulsory, and he was raising his voice to ensure he was heard.

I thought the £10 entry fee for a single-venue race was par for the course. I don't remember seeing the prizes advertised, but thought a full year's membership to MKTCRC for final winners, and a raffle, was OK. The whole meeting we well organised, clear timetable and very good results service.

The venue is very well presented, the track is well laid out and sufficiently fast to be challenging. Grip was good and the track markers were stout without being damaging. I had a great day, and will be joining the Club to do it again on Sundays.

Overall, a hit for me, and I am sure for many others. I hope they make it work because as a track venue, it is probably the best indoor venue in the UK.

I wouldn't want anyone to think that there was only one view of this venue and the excellent event that MKTCRC put on, especially when some of the points raised above were clearly explained to me. Many thanks to Ian, Dave and Nick, MKTCRC and Moto Arena - I'll be back!!
Old 22-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond001 View Post
Ok first meeting there today for the public. http://www.mkrctc.org.uk/cms2/index....&catid=55:2010

Reality was very different. I am sure that the issues are teething problems and Grant (the MD of Moto Arena) did apologise but...

Doors didnt open till 8.30 although practice was due at 8. (most drivers therefore arrived at 7.30), 60 drivers waiting outside and spoken to by the MA track manager / BRCA Official like we were irrelevant to him and the meeting wasnt a great start.

Obviously this got the day off to a bad start and I felt sorry for the Milton Keynes committee who were stood outside with us! To me it showed an absolute lack of respect from MA and I'm not sure who the BRCA Official was who barked health and safety at us but maybe in future it is better left to a club official.

His comment that there weren't many smiling faces was correct. there weren't!

On to the racing and MK ran a smooth meeting, keeping to time and respecting when genuine delays meant it was better to delay a heat / final a few moments. I dont think anyone minds when that happens and it shows that the club want every driver to have a good day.

Prizes / Trophies. Ma had committed to prizes which were understoood to be Ferrari and Porsche based. They actually gave an entry ticket to the "grand opening" of MA. As an event promoted as " special race meeting with loads of prizes open to all racers." that is a piss take. At £10 entry for a meet you expect to have trophies for the podium, and prizes if advertised (and a podium!).

As a venue it was superb, the track is good (apparently it is a minimum of 3m at every point) and smooth (watch out for the bump at the end of the straight, caught a few out!). The facilities are clean, the coffee is fresh (£1.50 a cup) and the burgers cooked to order (£5 with chips).

Upstairs the simulators are well worth a go. As the slowest driver in our group I'm not sure they were accurate , but well worth the £8 for the full cars and even better value at £4 for the "half an F1" modules.

So great venue, good facilities, but work on your PR and keep to your word. It may be a communication issue but it needs resolving.
You need to be very carefully in your statement. MA do not have an official working their under the. BRCA.
He is soley working as a MA official.
Old 23-08-2010

Billed as the 'press launch' of the venue and it's facilities. I was the only one there today with a camera and notepad on behalf of any kind of publication.

The facilities are impressive and I now have a good understanding of what the business model is. However, I am still struggling to see how it will be sustainable in the long term given the scale of the venture and how many people I think are going to be visiting.

From what I saw/experienced, today was a well attended Milton Keynes club meeting with a few waifes and strays like me thrown in. The most disappointing thing was that the 1:1 BTCC was taking place 50 yards away, and yet none of the spectators found their way into moto-arena. Why? Because it's on the wrong side of the main gate and the entrance faces away from the main circuit.

They needed some nitro cars on the outdoor track to attract some attention really. There was one, which ran for a short time, but to be honest I could have done a quicker lap with a Tamiya Mini!

From what I saw little had been done in the way of marketing, pomotion and organisation for the launch - perhaps I was foolish to imagine the place full of press reporters and there being demonstrations-a-plenty?

Like I say - great facility, sound business strategy in theory, but disappointing on the marketing side of things. For this reason I fear they might struggle.

What should we do as racers?

Make use of the facilities! Whatever their plan/strategy is in business terms, there is no escaping that it's a top notch indoor racing venue for electric on road. The outdoor 10th buggy track will be OK for club/regional events - same for the outdoor tarmac circuit. For them, racing/competition is about 10% of the story - the rest is corporate events and commercial business, and for this it's a perfect setup.