Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Tiverton Radio Controlled Car Club

Old 29-09-2014

Default Brca battery list

After yesterdays announcement that only brca approved batterys can be used from next year on i have found a list here:

http://http://www.brca.org/sections/...ologation/1142

Interesting and worrying is that although the 4000 and 5300 version the hpi plazma are listed. The 30000 i use is not and i cannot think that the brca only caters for the more professional drivers and not the hobby drivers like me.

Also i do not think that the 3000 version of this line will be any less safe then the bigger capacity versions.

Although i can understand why this is done i am disappointed by the choice the list offers.
Tve
Old 29-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

link correction for approved Batteries and motors: http://www.brca.org/content/homologa...-updates/14218
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 29-09-2014

I dont see the Turnigy 5300 on the list that a lot of us are using although it is ROAR approved

Terry

Last edited by Terry1965; 30-09-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 29-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

ROAR does not equal BRCA
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 29-09-2014

Like i said terry. Its all about the money!!! Tve
Old 29-09-2014

I guess since the batteries have to be submitted to the BRCA for "testing" plus some cash, the companies that do submit their batteries, just choose the ones they think people are most likely to race with, which generally are 4,000+mAh.

I have emailed Hobbyking regarding their batteries, I'm sure many have in the past before so possibly wont get anywhere, but it has been forwarded onto the Product Team. It may push them to do it if more clubs take this stance on non-approved batteries, as I assume battery sales will drop. Obviously we dont know if its just a case that they're never been sent for testing or some other reason why they've failed. I run them without issues & certainly dont see them being anymore unsafe than other (more expensive) brands.
Old 30-09-2014

Oh bugger! All my and my boys batts are turnigy. Just to be clear any motor is still ok? And the li-fe Batt in my tx is ok too?
Old 30-09-2014

Oops..... looks like I have been looking at the archived list. The other list has 17 pages not 10 so a bit more choice. TvE.

PS my 3000 is still not listed :-(
Old 30-09-2014

Is there any restriction on which LiPo you use in your TX or are these considered safe for some reason?

Terry
Old 30-09-2014

Does anyone know what their criteria is for testing and to what standard. It would be interesting to know and ultimately reassure us of the safety of the product.

Its alright I have found it. http://www.brca.org/content/regulations/1398

Last edited by jimmyturnbuckle; 01-10-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2014

Just some clarification for you.

Brca battery rule until now I have remainded quiet on this issue but after talking to Chris last night if you all had LISTENED he was pointing out there might be a potential that they bring in a rule that brca approved batteries have to be used then it would be better to know now if you were thinking of buying new batteries rather then not mentioning it and the BRCA create a rule and people have just purchased new batteries. He was trying to just give people a little heads up just incase or what i call trying to help but again people only LISTENED to what they wanted to hear AGAIN !!

Any questions please feel free to ask as I am also your BRCA club rep for the Southwest.

Martin
Old 01-10-2014

It would be a much better idea to phase it in giving BRCA members a season or two which would enable them to exhaust their existing batteries. Once they are exhausted they can then purchase the batteries on the list.

This would create very little financial impact and reduce the environmental impact of thousands of perfectly good batteries being thrown away.

This would be a much more responsible way of switching over to the new battery ruling,

Maybe as our rep you could put this forward to them Martin.

Last edited by jimmyturnbuckle; 01-10-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2014

If the rule is raised I will ask the question.
Old 01-10-2014

Thanks Martin.

Terry,

The reason they have overlooked TX Lipo's is because there's no performance advantage to gain from overcharging them.

But that raises the question with Lipo safety that I have always believed. There is nothing wrong with any lipo, the problem is the person who is charging it. I thought I had an issue with a lipo as you know but after carrying out tests there was nothing wrong with the battery and Schumacher admitted it was a software problem in the esc that caused the fire.

They only go bang when charged for a performance advantage. If they do go bang when charging normally and there is a fire, then it's a legal issue between you and the retailer or/and the manufacturer.

Hopefully the batteries on the list will reduce such things happening but it wont stop people from charging them incorrectly. I would also imagine the BRCA would also now be held for account if such batteries do fail and claims made would be easier. They would have no cop outs so its not all a bad thing. If it does come into force then it should be done reasonably without being abrupt and expensive.

Last edited by jimmyturnbuckle; 01-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2014

I agree Martin, full Kudos to Chris for making everyone aware that this MAY happen sometime next year. Now moving forward, I and no doubt quite a few other people that will read this want to know is whether this is just a BRCA preferred list or is there a real safety issue?

If there is a safety issue then I guess we can all happily take our dangerous LiPo's back to the model shop for a refund

Cheers, Terry
Old 01-10-2014

The whole argument is not really a valid one, if the BRCA who supply the club's insurance say they have to be on the list then that's what has to happen. People here seem to think that the TRCCC club are doing it and that's juts not the case. You are effectively arguing that I don't need any full size car insurance as I don't plan on crashing it, or having it stolen.

I believe the BRCA AGM is coming up, if you're really against it then as BRCA members that's the place to go and voice your opinion.

Steve
Old 01-10-2014
Mad Member

If they do make it a rule for next year I hope there would be some kind of clause for new people that turn up/join the local club, could be a little daunting turning up an being told they need to spend more money getting new Lipo's
Old 01-10-2014

@Steve. No I think we all know its nothing to do with TRCCC but as we the TRCCC are with the BRCA I guess they will have to do what the BRCA wants. I'm more concerned that there is some safety issue that the BRCA will not share with us. If its just a BRCA preferred list then Im not that bothered.

Terry
Old 01-10-2014

The only compliance by law that deems a battery safe within the EU is the ce marking. So the BRCA must be testing to a higher standard than the regulator.
Old 01-10-2014
Super Moderator

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think from reading the link above and what I personally know about the system) that the only thing that the BRCA "test" is the size of the products.

G