Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 06-08-2012

Default Astro starting setup for DEX210

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a decent starting point for a high grip astro track (Bury Metro) but can only find a base setup for the 410 on the website.

Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2012
Mad Member

I am running 78/24 with a 6.5 Vortex no timing, with Cream under servo weight and his ally front bulkhead,
ride height=22mm
27.5 losi oil in the front with 6 x 1.4 chamfered pistons
32.5 losi oil in the rear with 5 x 1.3 chamfered pistons
Trailing arm on the front
3 deg toe in the rear
o deg toe in the front
2 deg camber all round

The car is awesome just needs a decent driver, have been told that it looks good and stable on the track just a pity that i cannot do it justice!
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 06-08-2012

Arrow

Thanks mate, Is that setup with kit springs? I've had the kit two meetings and am yet to finish a race through a combination of electrical issues, diff problems and poor building (me!)
I've built the car partly following Craig collinsons southport setup but I'm going to completely strip and rebuild the car. From the small time I have spent on the track I've noticed the car really understeers on power with slim yellow staggers. I can't work out whether it's the rear generating too much grip or the front pushing. Off power the car seems very aggressive and pointy so it's tricky to keep consistent lap after lap.

What effect on the car do longer upper turnbuckles make? On the setup I've followed the rear turnbuckle are on the outer hole on the rear hub.

Cheers

Chris
Old 06-08-2012

Raise the height of both the front and rear camber link position. Also soften the front. Both these should give you more on power rotation

MB Models....Team Durango....Telsshells....韦恩是一个无线电遥控赛车上帝,克雷格是同性恋
Old 06-08-2012
Mad Member

Silver front and red rear springs
Forgot to mention i have the cream front tower where you can alter the front inner camber link position also have the carbon rear camber link which gives a lot more possibilities on he inner poition.
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 07-08-2012

Look at David Poulters winter race Ireland set up .
Very high grip astro.
Old 07-08-2012

My set up from Silverstone National has been sent in to TD, and this was the highest grip astro ive ever raced on!

I did use a geared diff, which i personally would only use if the track you race on is 90% high grip. If the track is a mixture then you may prefer the same set up but with the ball diff.

Set up sheet should be online soon.

Craig Collinson
Old 07-08-2012

Thanks for the input lads much appriciated I just have a few more questions if you don't mind?

Firstly, there is an option to build the kit with three different tie in blocks, what advantage does more kick up make and when would it be used?

And secondly, some of the setup's I've read refer to only 10% shock
Rebound on astro tracks, why is this? Do you need less rebound on a higher grip surface?

Oh there's more!

I've seen setup's refer to shock oil at 450 wt or 550 wt, what weight is this in old school 25,30,35wt etc?

Sorry I've been out the game a few years! Ha!

Cheers

Chris
Old 07-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post

I've seen setup's refer to shock oil at 450 wt or 550 wt, what weight is this in old school 25,30,35wt etc?

Sorry I've been out the game a few years! Ha!

Cheers

Chris
Hi Chris

I just recently got back in as well, and this is one of the things that I see causing a lot of confusion. When you see numbers like 550 etc. it is normally in the unit of cst or cps. These are standardised ways of measuring the viscosity of fluids and should be fairly equal between different manufacturers of oil. Wt on the other hand is completely manufacturer specific, so it only tells you the relative difference between oils from the same make. For instance 35 wt AE oil is not the same as 35 wt Losi.

A good reference is the Durango shock oil comparison table, I believe it is stickied in this forum, it gives a good overview of some of the common makes.

Hope this helps

/Greger
Old 08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Thanks for the input lads much appriciated I just have a few more questions if you don't mind?

Firstly, there is an option to build the kit with three different tie in blocks, what advantage does more kick up make and when would it be used?
Not sure what your referring to specifically but if you build the car with the same geometry as the manual suggests then you will have a really good place to start from ... I've barely changed mine other than oils/pistons and springs and the car is awesome everywhere
Old 08-08-2012

Chris,

Red front spring, 1.2 mm kit pistons 40wt oil. 30deg castor and 5mm trail
Green rear spring, 1.3mm kit pistons 20wt oil 0deg anti squat 3 deg toe in
Losi short lipo full forward
Both ends shocks outer hole on wishbone, middle on tower.
25g under servo.

You have to dremel the wishbones to get proper droop with the. 0deg anti squat block.
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchris View Post
I am running 78/24 with a 6.5 Vortex no timing, with Cream under servo weight and his ally front bulkhead,
ride height=22mm
27.5 losi oil in the front with 6 x 1.4 chamfered pistons
32.5 losi oil in the rear with 5 x 1.3 chamfered pistons
Trailing arm on the front
3 deg toe in the rear
o deg toe in the front
2 deg camber all round

The car is awesome just needs a decent driver, have been told that it looks good and stable on the track just a pity that i cannot do it justice!
why lower oil on front then back ?? what does do for the car handling?
Old 11-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
why lower oil on front then back ?? what does do for the car handling?
Chris likes a soft front end which sort of goes against what most others run. Also when comparing oils you have to note what pistons are being used as well.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 11-09-2012

what Chris gain using this setup?
Old 11-09-2012
Mad Member

I am not sure but what I do know is his front end drops flat on the floow after breaking into a corner. I run the red spring up front with 4 x 1.2mm hole pistons and 30wt Losi oil and on the rear I run with a green or black spring (stock blue if wet) and 5 x 1.3 hole piston and 27.5wt Losi oil.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 11-09-2012

Shorty Lipo for more options on weight distribuition :-)

www.ModelCarParties.co.uk - Radio Controlled Car Racing Events - Kids Parties, Fetes, Exhibitions etc

www.ElliottsDrivingSchool.co.uk - driving lessons, trailer training, young driving experience (14+). Areas covered include - Huntingdon, Cambridge, Peterborough, Bedford and surrounding towns / villages.