Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

View Poll Results: What would you buy?
Kyosho MP9 TKI2 16 42.11%
Losi Eight EU 2.0 18 47.37%
Hong Nor X3S 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-12-2011

I went from a Losi EU to a Kyosho, and wouldn't go back. For me, the Kyosho is much easier to drive. With the EU I was forced to be really smooth, and drive carefully not to make mistakes, whereas with the Kyosho, I have the confidence to try and push.

The other big + as you mention is Tommy. Super helpful and knowledgeable

The Kysosho also seems super strong. I bought a second hand MP9 - not TKI2, and it is still in very good shape.

On the engine front, I did a little nitro in the 80s, and bought my son a TMaxx for Christmas when he was 3 (who was it for really ) so am not an expert, but the modern engines seem to hold a tune really well. I bought a second hand NovaRossi R21, which is a cheap engine anyway, and it has run flawlessly. Tommy is also Mr Engine Guru, and is always willing to help with tuning. He also offers a running in service, if you would prefer him to do it, which is free if you buy an engine from him.

I've found all the buggy guys to be very friendly, and happy to answer questions and to help. I was at Herts (in the snow) yesterday, and had no one to pit for me, but a couple of folks helped me out

For me, the biggest problem is that the smell and noise is addictive
Old 19-12-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
the cluch springs are the weak bit and the kit ones are usualy not strong enough,i cant remember the name of the clutch i alwasy fitted RWM or somthing,its an adjustable one,fit and forget for the year,clutch bearings can last as long as you look after them,never buy second hand?if Tommy Chung offered you a second hand setup you would be silly not to take that offer,if some goon on ebay said iv got a hardly used £300 engine then your wise not to,the trouble with nitro,iv found the only way to learn is do it yourself,always ask,but try to do it your self,

RMV are the cluches and they are very good.
Any help from Tommy is always a great offer.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 19-12-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
The more I read the more scared I get Clutches, Clutch bearings, Pinch, And running in the big R can make or brake a engine. What are second hand cars like? Obviously it depends from who you buy but I mean do they wear out quick or if I wanted to try should I go down that route? I can afford to buy new but having never done it before if I don't like it I've less to lose. possibly?
I bought second hand Mugen MBX-6 with loads of spares but I really didn't need to use any other than bearings in hubs. Transmission is reliable and not showing any signs of use same for other parts other than bottom of chassis. I'm more than happy that I went this route.

As for clutch - I bought JVD clutch (sold as Ascendancy effortless clutch in USA). Easy to put together, and to change springs. Also very reliable one.
Old 19-12-2011
Mad Member

Thanks I'll go look at the clutches. Is Tommy Chung on Oople??
Old 19-12-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Thanks I'll go look at the clutches. Is Tommy Chung on Oople??
He goes to Taplow a lot on Fridays Kristian if that helps
Old 19-12-2011
Mad Member

Thank you Alec I have seen him there I'll try and catch him friday Order my TKI2 I've made my mind up I think I love Kyosho I did e-mail him today but I've not had a reply yet.
Old 19-12-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Thank you Alec I have seen him there I'll try and catch him friday Order my TKI2 I've made my mind up I think I love Kyosho I did e-mail him today but I've not had a reply yet.
He doesn't always see the emails instantly, give him a call on the phone.

My paintwork thread
Old 19-12-2011

I have a brand new still in packet novarossi nr21 you can have for £80.00 posted if you are interested
Old 19-12-2011
Mad Member

Thanks Jim I'm gonna do a little research before I go buying engines though.
Old 19-12-2011

Hello

please call me at the shop or email me again as I have not received any emails from you re: MP9.
Old 19-12-2011
Mad Member

You have PM.
Old 19-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Skull View Post
Clutches need changing every meeting, never buy a pinched engine, better to get a new one, they dont have to cost a fortune.
The kyosho may be expensive to buy but you wont need many spares and once you drive it you will know why its the best
i think if you were doing that after every meeting i'd say you were doing something wrong Neil!

I'm getting upwards of 4-5 meetings on the same clutch shoes and springs (from new)before changing. Most of my customers have gotten the same results. I may change clutch bell bearings more often.

Most of the Slough MP9 drivers (including me) use the following clutch (All Kyosho parts):

STD MP9 3 shoe flywheel and nut
1x carbon shoe
2x Alloy shoe
3x 1.0mm spring (I use 2x 1.0mm and 1x 1.1mm spring)
13T (STD) or 14T clutchbell

Tom
Old 20-12-2011
Mad Member

The order's in Can't wait
Old 20-12-2011

Great to hear you have taken the plunge you will not regret it.My son has been doing it for a year and we LOVE IT. The smell ,the noise , the dirt , the expense the endless hours of cleaning only to get caked in crud again and again and again, no but seriously you will love it its so addictive. Look forward too bashing into you on the race track.
Old 20-12-2011
Mad Member

I can't wait. Looks like fun and I love the Idea of long finals and bump ups. I really look forward to building it and I need to think of a new colour scheme for the fleet What will I do.
Old 20-12-2011

Bump ups are great you can have a real crap qualifying sesh and then you have a 20 min final so you could go from the bottom final and end up in the A( If you're a Mr Bloomfield) or if you're human like the rest of us you can at least bump up again and have 40 mins of funor frustration
Old 20-12-2011
Mad Member

Bloomfield's slow I know what you mean I just like the Idea of having longer to get in the groove I'll never be that fast
Old 01-01-2012
Mad Member

Kristian get a 32mm JVD clutch assembly for the MP9, it's an encased 4 shoe system, all the people i know that are running them and some are Nat drivers swear by them!
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 02-01-2012
Mad Member

Thanks Chris I'll go have a look at those.
Old 02-01-2012

got into nitro racing midway threw his year an absolutly loved it. would love to have the car your getting for this years season but i cant leave hobao. If i drive a hobao the spanish team manager does pits for me when his son races which is a godsend as i dont have any friends with any clue about rc cars that arnt already in the race. thats the only downside for me in nitro, you need a pitman an the more he knows about the hobby the better.

Imo go for a cheap normal motor to start, better to drive a slow motor fast than a fast motor slow, as the fast motor wont keep the heat in it if u cant push it like it needs to be.

Get yourself a bag of airfilters, i change mine every heat an change the clutch bell bearings often, i never keep more more than 2 meetings an never have a problem.

Hope you have as much fun as i have an enjoy your new car im jealous