Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 20-02-2012

A bit of a curve ball possibly, but what are people's opinions on the HoBao Hyper Star Pro UK?

I only ask as I have just seen the discounted price of £269.

Is it discounted because it's pants and no one wants them, because there is an impending 2012 version, or is it just a steal?

Have to say, at this early stage my heart lies with the XRay just because I loved my XB8. The others may be better for all I know, but I just know that my XB8 was fantastic and has ensured I have a soft spot for anything XRay....
Old 20-02-2012

I will say that in the Losi kit you get a lot of extra bits and pieces already mentioned.

Great little tool kit including glow plug wrench. I purchased a nitro tool kit but in reality I only needed a third of what I ordered, the stuff included in the kit was already really good.

my advice is but the kit you want first, build it and then you can quickly see what you are going to need in terms of spares. There are a lot of extra little bits and pieces other than the usuals that you'll need but get a kit first and take it from there.

My vote goes to the Losi EU, it's a bargain price comparatively (I think Apex are doing it for 379) and in stock trim it's not far off being bang on. I was pleasantly surprised with it's handling straight out the box.

The Argus A52 engine is great too and at a very good price. I've only heard good things about them and I'm very happy with mine so far.

Nene Valley is ok but the track isn't as much fun as Coventry in my opinion. Bit flat and featureless.
Old 20-02-2012

I run a hyperstar and im only in my first proper 1/8th sesion i did 3 race meets last year . I choose the hyper model due to cheap to replace worn brokern parts and easy to get. im not saying there the best but you carnt go wrong at that price.

My point about the xray 808 is if you buy new now you might aswell pay the extra for for the XB9 or get a good condition 2nd hand. just my opinion
Old 20-02-2012

its setup for astro and grass so it would be good , but imo their nothing special , think your better off saving a bit getting a losi, xray kyosho or mugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
A bit of a curve ball possibly, but what are people's opinions on the HoBao Hyper Star Pro UK?

I only ask as I have just seen the discounted price of £269.

Is it discounted because it's pants and no one wants them, because there is an impending 2012 version, or is it just a steal?

Have to say, at this early stage my heart lies with the XRay just because I loved my XB8. The others may be better for all I know, but I just know that my XB8 was fantastic and has ensured I have a soft spot for anything XRay....
Old 20-02-2012

Yeah I do get your point about the XB9 and having just read all the info on the modifications on XRays website then it sounds seriously impressive. I will look into it...
Old 21-02-2012
Mad Member

If you want an Xray you probably won't be happy with anything else. There all much of a muchness though, whatever kit you get is good. Kyosho, Agama, Mugen, Associated, Losi, Serpent or Xray. There are plenty of others none of us have mentioned too, I think there are more chassis made for this than any other class.

HoBao are good, CML distribute them so good back up, reasonably priced spares - this is something you need to look into really. Compare prices of steering knuckles, suspension arms, shock towers, shocks and gears. Or if money isn't a problem and none of that matters to you just get the Xray.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference, you've got a DEX210 so Durango do make the DEX408... That said Xray don't make an electric buggy so perhaps not something you'd think about ?

My paintwork thread
Old 21-02-2012

Thats a good point regarding spares, and it isnt something I have ever really considered before but maybe I should. When I had a Lazer FS2 with big bore shocks I never considered this and found out to my expense that the springs were 3 times the price of other brands...

I do think that the Xray holds sway at the moment, but it isnt a done deal by any means. I was looking at the Agama closer last night and it is one sexy car! I have no idea how it performs, but it looks gorgeous.

Like you say, I have the DEX210 but strangely the DNX408 has never been on my radar for 1/8 nitro.

I think if I were to draw up a short list right now my options would be :

Xray XB9
Xray XB808 (new, for the right price)
Agama A8
Losi 8
JQ THE car

I like the look of the AE too, but imperial measurements is a no go as it would mean needing to purchase a whole new tool kit.
Old 21-02-2012
Mad Member

I like your list but would like to point out a minor error you've made, the AE is actually all metric, the Losi on the other hand is imperial and will require a new tool kit... They are great cars though.

All the ones you've listed there are brilliant. The Agama is doing well, go on Nemo's website and check it out http://www.nemoracing.com/Nemo_Racing/Welcome.html

An older Xray would be just as good if you're just starting out, you could pick one up 2nd hand for a fraction of the new cost.

I like the JQ's THE car too, saw one at Slough at the weekend, was also running THE engine. Went real well, spoke to the guys running it, not a bad word to say. That said there were loads of Agama's there and all did real well.

As I said previously though, at a beginners level you won't notice the difference between the cars, they're all very good, it's when you get up to the top the difference and fine details show up more.

My paintwork thread
Old 21-02-2012

“I like your list but would like to point out a minor error you've made, the AE is actually all metric, the Losi on the other hand is imperial and will require a new tool kit... They are great cars though.”

That's interesting as its completely the opposite to 1/10 electric then. The TLR22 is all metric whereas the B44.1 is entirely imperial…

In that case, my list just got shorter as I know I will need some new tools even in the metric world (larger sizes etc) but don't fancy having to buy new of everything. I will probably also still rule out the AE still as it is that much more expensive than the others. All of the other cars on my list I have seen for less than £400 but the AE seems to be mid £400’s. It may only be another £50 or £60 but I have got to draw the line somewhere and am aiming for the sub £350 mark if I buy new.

I know the obvious benefits of buying 2nd hand, but I prefer to buy new and know that there are no hidden gremlins lurking in the history of the car.

Like you say though, as a relative newcomer to RC racing at all, and a complete newcomer to 1/8 nitro racing then I won’t notice much difference from car to car so it will likely come down to which car I can get the best deal on.
Old 21-02-2012
Mad Member

If you wait for Xray's new chassis to hit the shops I'm sure the best deal will be on old Xray stock still in the shops...

I think the kits you're looking at are in the £380 area, I don't know if you'd get one for £350... I guess if you're buying everything else you can haggle for a discount but the margins are so slim on these shops can't offer too much.

I'm with you on the used philosophy and the hidden gremlins but as was said earlier a lot of people will buy a chassis, do a few races with it and then decide don't like it so much and move it on. It's generally experienced racers doing this and as has been said they're the ones who look after their cars. You really should delve deeper into this before you discount the used route altogether. I picked my Agama up only a few races old with a huge spares package for an absolute bargain, I felt a bit guilty when I met Ben and gave him the money actually...

Get on MB, take a look at their used section, I've just looked quickly, there is a JQ THE car for £210, 2x Losi 2.0 for £250, Hobao Hyperstar for £210, no Xrays though It could bring your final cost down by at least £200 and with the fact you have a radio too I reckon you could get up and running for £600 with good stuff.

My paintwork thread
Old 21-02-2012
Mad Member

Just found JE Spares selling the RB One for £179, that's a bargain. Brand new car for that sort of money is an absolute steal

http://www.jespares.com/nitro-models...tegory_id=1346

My paintwork thread
Old 21-02-2012

Thanks for all the advice Ian!

A second hand wouldn't be out of the question, but it would need to be in A1 condition.... My problem as a novice to nitro us being able to spot the gems amongst the duds. For example, If the clutch was shot I wouldn't even know!?

I did see the RB1 with JE and have to agree at the fantastic price. I don't know why though but the car doesn't do it for me...
Old 21-02-2012

There about to bring out the RB ONE R its a upgraded version

i wouldnt worry about the clutch as these need changeing fairly often

most good secound hand ones have very few scratchs on the chassis its morethe diffs that and wishbone pins id worry about
Old 21-02-2012

+1 on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
If you wait for Xray's new chassis to hit the shops I'm sure the best deal will be on old Xray stock still in the shops...

I think the kits you're looking at are in the £380 area, I don't know if you'd get one for £350... I guess if you're buying everything else you can haggle for a discount but the margins are so slim on these shops can't offer too much.

I'm with you on the used philosophy and the hidden gremlins but as was said earlier a lot of people will buy a chassis, do a few races with it and then decide don't like it so much and move it on. It's generally experienced racers doing this and as has been said they're the ones who look after their cars. You really should delve deeper into this before you discount the used route altogether. I picked my Agama up only a few races old with a huge spares package for an absolute bargain, I felt a bit guilty when I met Ben and gave him the money actually...

Get on MB, take a look at their used section, I've just looked quickly, there is a JQ THE car for £210, 2x Losi 2.0 for £250, Hobao Hyperstar for £210, no Xrays though It could bring your final cost down by at least £200 and with the fact you have a radio too I reckon you could get up and running for £600 with good stuff.
Old 21-02-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
Thanks for all the advice Ian!

A second hand wouldn't be out of the question, but it would need to be in A1 condition.... My problem as a novice to nitro us being able to spot the gems amongst the duds. For example, If the clutch was shot I wouldn't even know!?
If you're buying a rolling chassis Rich you don't need to worry about any of that. The chassis are the same as your tenth, you'd see if something was completely shagged. Get a new engine, and clutch, then you know it's new, you'd need servo's and all the other gubbin's mentioned previously but essentially the chassis's can be picked up for half price if you get them 2nd hand. Like that JQ THE car I mentioned earlier. If I had the cash I'd probably buy that myself, I really like them.

If you've going to want to look at it though it's going to limit you to local ish area, so your best bet is to get around the local ish clubs and see who's running what ( that's another thing, if you get one that others at the clubs are running you'll learn to set it up better and if you break anything someone can probably lend you a part - if you get an Xray and are the only person there with one you won't have that luxury ), they'll probably know people who are selling kits, maybe even one there for you to look at ? If in any doubt though buy new. As I mentioned I think the current one will come down in price when the new one is actually in the shops, but I still can't see you picking anything up for £350 or less. 2nd hand average about £200, that's £150 different which would buy you the 2 new servo's you need or almost enough for the Argus Engine + Pipe combo I mentioned previously.

If you're really into it and want to get something new after 6 months I doubt the 2nd hand chassis you bought for a good price will have depreciated that much more, where as if you got the new one and decide you want something else it will have depreciated quite a bit.

My paintwork thread
Old 21-02-2012

What about diffs mate, I know on 1/10 electric they can be an area for concern on second hand cars. I've never looked at a geared diff on a 1/8 though so don't know if these are such a problem?

With regards to the Xrays, I was reading the thread on MB about the XB9 and there is someone on there called LeeBunker who is running a pre production XB9 at my local track and finished 3rd with it at the weekend at NDOR against some top guys. He lives in Wellingborough, which is less than 10 minutes from my house so I might go and stalk him!!

I could pick up the 808 new from JE for just under £350, but this same LeeBunker also said on MB that the 808 wouldn't have got him anywhere near third at the weekend. Now I don't expect to be getting close to winning anything, but if the XB9 is that much easier to drive..... Well I need all the help I can get!

All that said, I am warming to the idea of second hand a little but wouldn't know which to go for. So the Xb9 is an easier drive than the 808, but how does THEcar and Agama measure up against the 808 as if I go used then they would be my 3 choices!?
Old 22-02-2012
Mad Member

I bought the Agama because everyone said it's the easiest car to drive, I liked the look of it too and the track side back up at this end of the country is fantastic. If you email Nemo they'll tell you if they have people at your local clubs ?

I've seen the Xray's go and they're real good, strong but I think the parts are a little more expensive but it's all really good quality stuff.

If the diffs are shimmed wrong you can hear it, unless you have them apart though you won't know what it's like.

The guy running the prototype will be contracted to Xray ( if he's helping them test ), he will be under contract to say nice things about their cars so of course he's going to say what he has, the thing is if you gave him any RX car he'd probably place in the top 4 because he's a team driver, and that's why he's a team driver and we're not...

As I said previously ALL of these cars are great, whichever one either of us own I doubt we'd end up 3rd in the A final The cars are not going to make very much difference to someone just starting.

The JQ is good, I've seen them go and everyone I've spoken to them about track side is happy they bought one. I like their stuff too, and their video's make me laugh. More people were running Agama at my local track so it was better to go that way.

So, get to your local track and ask too many questions, see what people are running and which chassis is most popular, come away and shorten your current shortlist. Then decide if you can afford new or if you're going to get one that's been used. Go from there. Post up what you decide on the forums so people can offer their thoughts though. I don't know if anyone else has thoughts on the JQ for Rich to make a decision from ?

My paintwork thread
Old 22-02-2012

Thanks Ian, I will make sure to get to a few tracks and check out who is running what. Im currently not racing my 210 as the ESC is away under warranty so might use the free weekends to get along to a few 1/8 meetings and get a feel for things....
Old 22-02-2012
Mad Member

You won't get that problem with nitro as no ESC

My paintwork thread
Old 22-02-2012

My thoughts exactly!