Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Norfolk Buggy Club

Old 07-04-2013

Default Fetes/festivals........ stupid idea?

Hi all,

So, please feel free to shoot me down if this is a stupid idea (I can't decide if it is or not......), so be nice

Having attended quite a few of Norfolks festivals (worstead festival/norfolkshow/various carnivals) there are often groups (sometimes charitys) and clubs there showing off their interest/sport to try and attract new members. Is this something we should be doing?

I've seen various organisations from batton twirly girls (Majorrettes are they called these days?), homebrew clubs and horse riding clubs all have a stall (sometimes a display) to try and attract new members.

Is this something we should be doing to attract new members? The more attendees NBC gets, the better the facilities etc......

If its a stupid suggestion, please feel free to shoot me down !
Old 07-04-2013

when i lived in cromer,the local model shop and offroad club had a small grass track on the carnival field all through the weeks events like stunt bikes and the red arrows ,could be an idear
Old 07-04-2013

Exactly. One of the things that prompted the idea was the top gear episode where they go and do a stunt display at a fete. If it helps increase the numbers to the sport locally............
Old 07-04-2013

When NBC was just a 1/8 club we did the Gorleston cliff top gala
Old 07-04-2013

I did the Gorleston cliff top gala a few years ago with the losi 8 and losi xxx-cr
Old 07-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

we did used to do a few fates and a local school fete with the club and as has been mentioned the gala in the days of the rallyx, But I think one of the reasons we stopped being asked is we made little money for the fate, as most things either pay for a pitch or pay a percentage of their days takings towards whatever the fate is making money for, and the thing is we take a lot of room up with a track.
The other problem was the organisers and the public really wanted a pay to play situation, fine if your all happy to offer your cars up to the public to bash around for the afternoon

Also the biggest problem was most fates are held on saturday afternoons, and we really needed to keep the action going constantly for the duration of the fate to keep the mercenary fate organisers happy considering the amount of space we would take up, this could prove quite a challenge with the low numbers that could commit to a saturday, would end up with some very high charge rates,some cooked batteries and some very hot cars, the answer was to try and hold a race meeting at the fate,but again this was a problem due to the amount of space needed by us, this was ok at some really big shows and fates but at most small local jobs this again caused problems and the fate organisers didn't fancy it.
fates are normally in the summer, my busiest time of year and they take quite a lot of organisation involving insurance, ( I was once asked if all our mains equipment\generators could be P.A.T tested) supplying catch fence. and loading and carting a load of track over to the site.

But if anyone is offered some fate action, do say as I have had a few good fates and lawford club used to run a fantastic meeting at a car show...its not all bad, honest

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 07-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
( I was once asked if all our mains equipment\generators could be pact tested)
Eeeeerrm ......yeaaaah
Old 08-04-2013

P.A.T = portable, appliance, testing.
Not "pact"
Old 08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelt4 View Post
Not "pact"

I knew that be eating you alive
Old 08-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelt4 View Post
Not "pact"

Edited accordingly mr electrician

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 08-04-2013

yeah health and saftey is so over the top these days,you may even get sued if someone takes up the hobby!
Old 12-04-2013
Mad Member

I've done a few fete meetings in the past at Stiffkey, Swaffham, Castle Acre and Blofield School.

The initial idea is good, but as David says a lot of spectators want to pay and play or see how it all works rather than just have a look at some static models.

To move a track is also time consuming and unless you have a decent sized van and trailer moving the track, even a small proportion of it is never going to be easy. Theres also the age old safety side of things!!

I'm sure a stand of cars and literature could be prepared if someone wanted to do something informative. The Ipswich Oval Club used to do that at the big stock car meetings at Foxhall.

One of the best promotional events I did take part in was when MERCC ran their east of england regional at a car show which had grass track racing and classis cars a plenty. I also remember that Lawford Buggy Club did a promo event at Mannintree Car Show, which I believe was pretty succesful.

Like with so many things it comes down to time and who wants to organise it all.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!