Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 15-12-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher
Default New lipo charge bunker

Im not a fan of saying lipo are dangerous, so if as a user you feel you may make an error, or you know your charger defaults to NIMH, or you dont know the difference take a look here

Product here
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ml&h=BAQFOjGqc

video here:

Last edited by Col; 15-12-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 15-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
That will soon clear the pits :0 just shows how much energy these things store

Last edited by Col; 15-12-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 15-12-2012

Send a message via MSN to russmini

Yep, that went up very well, but was contained extremely well at the same time.

May be a good thing, bit fiddly, but could save other equipment and potential harm to people...
Old 15-12-2012
Mad Member

How much damage would that have done if it had been in a Lipo Bag...

That looks a solid bit of kit but could everyone afford one ?

My paintwork thread
Old 15-12-2012
Mad Member

Okay so I didn't check out the link first and to be fair I was expecting them to be considerably more than $23.95 !

My paintwork thread
Old 16-12-2012

well thats a bit of a kick up the arse to everyone who slated the idea of using a £2 military surplus ammo box like mine. metal box isnt brca legal though, "its not a lipo sack" even though it does the job far better
Old 16-12-2012

I know, lets ALL connect a 12v battery up to ramp the voltage of a lipo up, stir up the hysteria about lipo cells again!!! Anyone got a video of an IB4200 cell exploding to remind us what we came from using???!!
Old 16-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgydiy View Post
well thats a bit of a kick up the arse to everyone who slated the idea of using a £2 military surplus ammo box like mine. metal box isnt brca legal though, "its not a lipo sack" even though it does the job far better
your ammo box can not vent, until you open it!

i would re read the rule too, who told you a metal box is not allowed?

rule clearly states "Lipo sack is defind as a receptacle designed for the purpose of charging lipo/life and of suitable construction to contain a fire

this is proven to reatian fire, sold as a lipo charge bunker ( which your amo box is not, how ever it still retains fire) as i have put the lipo fire i saw the bag did not retain sod all!
Old 16-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I know, lets ALL connect a 12v battery up to ramp the voltage of a lipo up, stir up the hysteria about lipo cells again!!! Anyone got a video of an IB4200 cell exploding to remind us what we came from using???!!
having seen a lipo go up at a 12th meeting recently (poss user error) this would have retained the fire, thats why i posted it, not to cause panic as the lipo sack did F all...
Old 16-12-2012
Mad Member

Oh dear, Mark, you really do need to stop talking about things you know nothing about...

The LiPo sack did something. The cause is still unknown. The evidence has been examined and we are starting to get some information from those that make the sacks, as well as informing them of our findings.

What you saw was a towel and a body that were ignited by the heat. At no time was the sack ablaze. What ended the fire was the prompt action of those that got the sand onto the LiPo, and as a result we had almost none of those acrid and potentially poisonous fumes seen pouring out of the box on the video. There is no way of stopping that, which from a heath and safety perspective is a risk.

You really make me smile. You were the one with the "LiPo is safe, NiMh is lethal" rhetoric. Now it seems you have to admit that LiPo is not safe - buy a vault that keeps the fire in but smothers everyone else with smoke and poisonous fumes!!

This is not the answer to anything. As I said, as a device it raises other aspects of Health and Safety that you seem to want to ignore completely. I think your promotion of this device is ill-considered.

I have no doubt you will post again telling me I am an idiot and you are right. Just remember I was the one saying that LiPo fires were active and potentially dangerous, and you were the one saying the LiPo was safe. Which of course you will deny as well. I know I can't win in a single thread, but in the long term...
Old 16-12-2012

i know nothing about lipo....LOL i was using them when you were comparing them to the devil!

please re-read my original post, it clearly says

"Im not a fan of saying lipo are dangerous, so if as a user you feel you may make an error, or you know your charger defaults to NIMH, or you dont know the difference take a look here"

nothing about me saying lipo is any more unsafe as any power source, infact its clear i blame user error, lipo are safe if used correctly.

funny how you know what i saw!!
as for the lipo sack, i did not say the lipo sack was on fire anywhere.. i did say as the lipo was in flames the owner was waving the bag in the air and the lipo was not in the bag... so the bag did F all

this was written/confirmed by somone (a reputable person) on facebook who took pictures of said event and informed us that the bag may have not been sealed, a second person at the meeting said the charger may have defaulted after a power cut.

"Mark, the Chesterfield one was in the bag when it started. It blew out of the bag when it went up. The bag tried to do it's job, but it was beyond it. I also don't think it had been properly fastened. I took photos of it for the BRCA"

"Current theory for the cause at chesterfield was incorrect charging. Power tripped out in the hall. Charger went back to default setting which was nimh owner didn't realise and hit charge again. Think it was possibly same last year."

this is another charge option for users who may feel unsure of lipo, nothing more nothing less.

maybe instead of bashing me you should read this and re assess the fact the bag did NOT comply to brca general rules IE contain the fire,(you have confirmed this by saying a towel and body were on fire) this bunker does retain fire as laid out in the rule...

rule clearly states "Lipo sack is defind as a receptacle designed for the purpose of charging lipo/life and of suitable construction to contain a fire
Old 16-12-2012
Mad Member

Old 16-12-2012

Ah, so this wasn't lipo failure, it was once again, it seems, user error. I still believe that lipo is inheritently safer than a nimh, as they would pop even being charged correctly. Now i got in trouble for saying this before, but unless lipo sacks are built and tested in accordance with some form of recognised standard, then really as a consumer, not all sacks can be trusted.
As for that bunker, it would be better being air tight so the fire consumes the oxygen and will extinguish itself so you can make safe.
Old 16-12-2012
Kev Lee oOple Advertiser

Quote:
As for that bunker, it would be better being air tight so the fire consumes the oxygen and will extinguish itself so you can make safe.
Not sure about this DCM, my understanding is that lithium polymer 'fires' are self sustaining. They don't need oxygen to go off. You would need the Bunker to be able withstand whatever volume of gas is generated - which I would guess would produce a fair amount of pressure! It would need to be qualified to do this also, otherwise it would potentially become a grenade (which is what nimhs became when the vents blocked). This is why it vents I imagine.

I don't intend to suggest that lipos are dangerous, I think they are the best battery we have had in all the years I've been racing (28 years) ! Anything that contains that kind of energy though needs to be treated correctly. In my opinion they are a lot more robust than nimhs and nicads. I remember getting the fright of my life when a 1200mah nicad blew up in my hotshot II when I was 11.

Kev
Old 16-12-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

just to lighten the mood we may all need one of these on the 21st lol:P
Old 16-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I was watching some sort of ghetto lipo bunker video the other day - A breeze block with a bag of sand on top. A much more effective idea.
The block contains the debris, the heat melts the bag and the sand drops on it, dosing the fire. So simple, so sensible.
Now I just have to take a breeze block and a bag of builders sand to all indoor meetings......

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 17-12-2012

Default Lipo fires

I have seen several lipos ignite at race meets and every time it was when the lipo was in the car during a race, I think manufacturers need to look at the actual case the cells are housed in, maybe a Kevlar wrap.
Old 17-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideLineRacing View Post
Not sure about this DCM, my understanding is that lithium polymer 'fires' are self sustaining. They don't need oxygen to go off. You would need the Bunker to be able withstand whatever volume of gas is generated - which I would guess would produce a fair amount of pressure! It would need to be qualified to do this also, otherwise it would potentially become a grenade (which is what nimhs became when the vents blocked). This is why it vents I imagine.

I don't intend to suggest that lipos are dangerous, I think they are the best battery we have had in all the years I've been racing (28 years) ! Anything that contains that kind of energy though needs to be treated correctly. In my opinion they are a lot more robust than nimhs and nicads. I remember getting the fright of my life when a 1200mah nicad blew up in my hotshot II when I was 11.

Kev
My bad, it does indeed contain Oxygen, so it will self combust.
Old 17-12-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Now this i would like to see, LiPo fire in a sealed container.

Obviously, i'd only like to see it from a distance.......
Old 20-12-2012
Thieving scumbag

the FAA says for a lithium-ion or polymer fire there is only 2 effective methords Haylon or Class D fire extingishers, potentialy with enough heat sand could make it a whole lot bigger, however in a smaller fire sand may contain the fire long enough to burn out.

Water, Foam, CO2 are all a bad idea