Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 03-10-2011

Default SC10 4x4

hi all, new to SC and wondered what on earth people run for these things (specifically a SC10 4x4) on Astro, I was looking at the destruction manual, so I am now understanding the options.... So are the stock springs any use or do i need to bin these and get some option ones?... I am guessing the tyres are of no use on Astro, was looking at the Fastrax tyres are these the best choice if so, bullseye or kingcourse? I assume you stick to one type all around and don't mix them up (fronts and rears)?

I have Team Orion 6000Mah 90C sticks, I should imagen these will be ok, but was thinking about starting out with my Speed passion LPF speedo, using a SP V3.0 7.5 I know its a lightweight in terms of a speedo, (is this a no...no...?)....

Also really like the Proline Flowtek body, I heard that the stock body is a little weak, is this the case?

Also any other general tips, advice that are helpful, would be good.

thanks
Old 03-10-2011

Why not build it as per the book and then see how it performs first before following someone else's suggestion?

I've yet to build my SC10 4x4 but have in the past run the 2WD version - the stock tyres (same as the 4WD) were great until they wore down a little on the rear, then were replaced by Kourse kings - the front tyres stayed stock for two seasons - indoors on carpet and outdoor on astro.
I tried various options and basically went back to stock everytime.

When I build mine I shall set it up book standard and race it a few times before I start changing things -
Old 03-10-2011

Sounds good to me....

Ignoring the electronics for a moment, I guess my biggest setup concern was the tyres, as they are so key for buggies, and i expect SC to be the same... secondly spring rates...will get some Kingcourse tyres to try also then...
Old 03-10-2011

I've run a 2wd SC10 for a long time now, the stock tyres work just fime on astro, they used to be the hot ticket, before the advent of the Kourse King, whic is what most people have been using on the Astro tracks during the UK SC Nats.

Can't help you with much else TBH!

In general people have been running 550 can motors in the 4wd's, but the majority of them are chunky alloy chassis trucks, from memory I have seen 2 4wd SC10's during the series, but I can't remember what electrics they where running...I think one of them is on Oople so I'm sure he will chip in here.

FYI I use a SP GT2 with a V3.0 7.5 in my 2wd, and it gets pretty hot
Old 03-10-2011

i dont know your speedo but if you say its a lightweight i wouldnt be to keen to run it in a 4x4 shortcourse. Generally the 4x4´s need a 1/8 scale esc or maybe one of the shortcourse specific models that are out now.

I recommend a rx8, its one of the more expensive but you can run any 4x4 sc on one of those happily an never have a fear, ive ran one it 3 different 4x4 sc trucks without the fan, they stay nice an cool.

As for the 6.5 it will work but it wont be so fast as the 4x4 are quite heavy, i have tried a 4.5 5.5 an the new 4600 4 pole tekin, tbh the 5.5 is more than enough an very easy to control, dont need the 4.5 unless your on a massive outdoor track. id say the 4000 4 pole tekin would be the best you can get atm.

as for tires go for kourse kings at least on the rear, the guys with them at my local track use a proline on the front not sure which one but personally id run on front also with some rows of pins cut off.

setups i cant help you with much other than the guys at the track liked it alot more with the swaybar kit. also put some holes in the rear of the body to help with the paracute effect when you jump.
Old 03-10-2011

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a...anuals_setups/

Try these for setups,used the blue groove high grip ones for the UK national series worked great
http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/
this forum has everything you need to know about SC10 4x4

Had no major issues with mine i love it,but i have gone form slash ultimate 4x4 to this,everyone moans about how hard it is to maintain,but have no problems as i dont mind taking it apart,have not had to yet anyway.

Use yellow springs for shocks!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZq54h8Skk

Using the castle creations 4 pole 540 with mamba max and had no problems keeping up with any car on the track and had plenty of power to clear the tripple jumps.
Sway bars worked well also and layed the shocks down front and rear at the bottom.

Last edited by ironmangav; 03-10-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: content
Old 03-10-2011

Fantastic, food for thought.....

thanks all....
Old 05-10-2011

Hi,
Having just run my SC10 4x4 for only the second time at Kiddy last weekend and with the weather being so good it gave loads of grip and I actually took the Kourse Kings off and ran the kit tyres. As mentioned they worked really well!
For the build, my shocks came pre-built but it's definately worth just checking the screw that holds the piston onto the shock shaft as one of mine came off inside the shock. Other than that just build as per the instructions.
And yes the harder yellow springs are probably the way to go for Astro, and might be worth considering the roll bars.

Not seen or heard of problems with the kit shell being 'weak' but I suppose it depends what you do with it. If you wanted to change, the Flotek would be the way to go.

I would recommend a 550 for a 4wd SC. A 540 will work fine, just keep an eye on the temperature.
Old 05-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRob View Post
Hi,
Having just run my SC10 4x4 for only the second time at Kiddy last weekend and with the weather being so good it gave loads of grip and I actually took the Kourse Kings off and ran the kit tyres. As mentioned they worked really well!
For the build, my shocks came pre-built but it's definately worth just checking the screw that holds the piston onto the shock shaft as one of mine came off inside the shock. Other than that just build as per the instructions.
And yes the harder yellow springs are probably the way to go for Astro, and might be worth considering the roll bars.

Not seen or heard of problems with the kit shell being 'weak' but I suppose it depends what you do with it. If you wanted to change, the Flotek would be the way to go.

I would recommend a 550 for a 4wd SC. A 540 will work fine, just keep an eye on the temperature.
Just finished building the thing....
Jeeeeezzzzzzz!!!! they are big.....

now wonder you are all saying 550's are recommended..... anything less is making me feel like it might end up like a milk float.....

I am going to try a 540 and my speedo, however i think a 550 and RX8 is going to be a near term investment.....

Oh boy this looks like its going to be fun fun fun!!!
Old 06-10-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

I have the novak sc system in mine and its proving to be very good
Old 06-10-2011

4wd short course? seriously?

how to kill a fun class!
Old 06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm_2008 View Post
4wd short course? seriously?

how to kill a fun class!

anyway, put my 6.5 SP in for the moment, looking at alternative ESC and Motors for the future...

Thanks all who have helped...
Old 07-10-2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudCJjw8mO0

this is my SC10 4x4 with castle 4 pole with mamba max pro 540 motor,does not get hot,as you can see its on long grass plenty of grunt and power and had no problems with it at all,nice and cheap also.
Old 07-10-2011

I've also got a SC10 4x4 powered by a Castle MMP and the 1410 3800kv 4pole motor.
It has power enough, stay's cool so I'm loving it...
The motor has the same power as my friends LRP X12L 550 5.5T motor.

I use the king kourse tires on astro, and when you cut2 rows of the outer pins it drives great!

I also use the front swaybar, and now I'm going to test the rear sway bar.

Springs is my next step...

Love the car!!!
Old 07-10-2011

Ran mine for the first time at work, with the 540 6.5T and the 70A speedo, no probs with the speedo, however the motor was too hot for my liking... so will have a play after racing the buggy on Sunday, but going to order new Speedo and Motor tonight....

However the car was BRILLIANT..... must say it handled like a dream, took the bumps so well, and also got some air.... I am hooked....
Old 07-10-2011

Does anyone know if someone makes an overtray for the 4x4?
Old 07-10-2011

You can get one for it with a driver built in think its a factory part, ill ask my pal at the weekend who has one if one of the other owners dont answer you before hand
Old 08-10-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKay View Post
Does anyone know if someone makes an overtray for the 4x4?
Associated do and cml had them in stock when I got mine
Old 08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Associated do and cml had them in stock when I got mine

I assume it is not the same as the SC10 one? or is it???
Old 08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKay View Post
I assume it is not the same as the SC10 one? or is it???
Not the same as sc10 no mount is completely differant and fits better