Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 26-04-2011

Default Too FS or not to FS

I picked up a brand new ZX-5 SP kit today on a smoking deal.
I thought it was an FS before I got to the shop but I was quite disappointed when I found it to be an SP version.

The deal was so good, I still bought the car.

Now my question is, do I spend the money and pick up the SP to FS conversion kit?
Effectively doubling the price of the car.

The racing in my area will not need the top of line equipment to be competitive, so really the SP will be fine. But its the I want it factor.

I dont own any saddle style Lipos, but do have a bunch of stick style.
So all buying the FS conversion will do is make me spend more money anyway.

Im new to the ZX-5 range and I dont really know what different on the FS. Is there any suspension geometry changes? Are most spares interchangeable between both cars? (well apart from chassis, braces and motor mount stuff)

Also on a side note, the same store has a RB5 SP buggy kit I can get for a steal to. Is this car worth picking up? I dont know anything about the RB5 versions, but have heard there is little different between the SP and SP2.

Thanks
Old 27-04-2011

For the ZX-5, the SP and FS versions are like night and day.
There is even an FS2 version to compare against to as well. To me, no matter how great the SP's price was, it aint worth it.

For the RB5, the main difference between SP and SP2 is mainly the motor centering kit for brushless motors. Some felt there is little difference between the 2, so if the SP's kit price is very good, you should grab it.
Old 27-04-2011

Thanks for the reply Corsair. Im glad to hear that the RB5 will be a decent buy.

I dont really agree with your statement "To me, no matter how great the SP's price was, it aint worth it".

I basically bought the SP for less than a used car, then adding the FS conversion Im still under $300 Cdn. If I were to go buy a brand new FS or even an FS2 I would be well over $400.

However at the $300 Cdn I will end up paying the same amount I was able to buy a brand new Durango DEX410R at the same shop.

As much as I really want the FS conversion, I really doubt I will bother with it. I can run the SP as is for all of this season and then next year if 4wd takes off here, I would either buy a new FS2 or jump to a different car.

Will only Kyosho wheels work with this car?
Old 28-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtafocus View Post
...The racing in my area will not need the top of line equipment to be competitive, so really the SP will be fine...

...I dont own any saddle style Lipos, but do have a bunch of stick style.
So all buying the FS conversion will do is make me spend more money anyway...

These two comments tell me you should stick with the ZX5 SP version, especially if it was for a great price. Drive that until you come across an FS for a similarly good deal. You'll have fun with it! It's still a great car.

About the wheels... I can't help you, I've only ever run Kyosho wheels on mine.
Old 28-04-2011

I own both cars and up to now I have found the fs is not as good to drive but thats just my opinion I am sure the sponsored kyosho drivers would say otherwise. I found the main difference is the older lazer has better geometry it just feels more balanced and usable
Old 28-04-2011

Thanks for the suggestions.

SP it is, until I find an FS conversion for the kinda deal I got on the SP.

As for the build experience, the parts quality is very good which is typical of Kyosho. I am a bit disappointed by the way the parts and hardware are bagged. 10 little bags of screws and you have to open almost all of them for the first 2 pages of build.

Im assembling my kit a little backwards at the moment. I didnt feel like building the rear diff the other night when I started so I went straight for the complete rear end. I know this means I will have to disassemble a good chunk of what is already on the car just to install the diff.
Luckily I have a full set of 3/32 ceramic diff balls I had picked up for my Losi JRX-S type R, but never bothered to install.

Any diff building tips out there? Other than sanding the diff rings flat? What is the preferred diff lube? I will probably end up using the Associated black and clear greases for the diff. I have heard that Schmacher has a really good diff lube, maybe I will pick some of it up.
Old 29-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Remember that an FS conversion doesn't contain everything to build a car to true FS geometry and specification (you will need UMW519 hubs and a couple of extra bits too).

As for if the SP is a good car then yes ... it is definitely a good car (I used to run well with mine next to CAT SX, B44 and Yokomo B-max's and as they haven't changed too much then there is no reason why it shouldn't still be able to race well against them.

Is the FS/FS2 better? Yes it is, nicer balance and easier to throw at the track.

I say run the SP until you can get your hands on an FS then make the leap.
Old 29-04-2011

Some thoughts of the lazer...
I started out with a FS converted SP which meant that i kept the rear hubs from the SP (la252 I think) Drove it like that and when the FS2 came went trough and bought that one as the old one was retired.

But strange enough I could not get FS2 to suit my taste until I switched back to the La252 hubs again and it went back to be the nice car that I like so much.
Old 04-05-2011

I noticed today that the rear shocks on the FS2 are mounted on the front side of the shock tower and suspension arms.
But the FS along with all the other ZX-5's have the shocks mounted on the rear of the tower and rear of the arms.

Is there any reason for this?
Old 04-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Shocks can be mounted either in front or behind on all versions of the ZX5.

Personally I have always found that there is a definite improvement in small bump complienece and the manor the car rotates in (that will be personal preference obviously) with the shocks on the rear, I ALWAYS mount the rear shocks on the back of the wishbones if at all possible. Only issue is the risk of damage to the shocks in an impact ... I have a dented big bore body to prove it :'(