Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 25-10-2012
#1 ZX5 fan

Default Broadband recomendations

Realised that I'm paying far to much for phone/BB/SKY and need to cut it down. Think I'm going to sack off SKY and get get a combined phone and BB package.

They've recently installed fibre BB in my area so can now get that, looking through talktalk and plusnet seem to be very cheap both at about £23. Talktalk has the benefits of no download limits but a terrible customer satisfaction reputation. Plusnet is 10gb limited but highly rated.

Any comments, experiences or recommendations?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 25-10-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

I know you've said you're going to bin sky, but I looked around and in my view they offer a good deal. However... Due to a disagreement with the council only half my road has cable.....

I'm on a 40/10 fibre package, but planning on dropping back to ADSL. Why, well I find I only surf, email etc. download the odd movie from Apple TV or ISO from MS TechNet, so not enough to warrant it.

Re Sky on the other stuff I'm planning on dropping TV stuff, but can't fault phone & BB.

A mate on talktalk from the same exchange got half what I used to on my ADSL.
Old 25-10-2012

What services do u have with sky at the moment?
Old 26-10-2012
Mad Member

I had great service from BE when I was on ADSL but since BT installed FTTC in my area, I have gone Infinity and not looked back. I had a router failure early on but this was due to a specific revision of the router known to be bad, so I stuck my own one in (rather than use their replacement) and no problems since.

On ADSL I was getting 4.5 down and 2 up (due to distance from Exchange), with Infinity I get 32-35 down and 7-8 up. Don't do P2P so their shaping has little effect on my experience. No problem with either Lovefilm Instant or Sky On Demand movies and iPlayer, 4OD etc all run well too.

Plus, if you order via Quidco you can often get cashback!

PM me with your email if you wanted to sign up to quidco so I can refer you
Old 26-10-2012

Hi Dan we have just gone to Plus net they seen really good deal.Plus you talk to yorkshire people on the phone . Think we are £23 a month including line rental. Half price first year.08004320200

Team Schumacher
Old 26-10-2012
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

If you buy a mobile phone with a quick modem, set it up as a hotspot and get a pay as you go contract with 3 and setup a £15/month direct debit topup you get all you can eat data - plus of course a phone with text and call bundle and a mobile access point you can take anywhere..! I've had this for 8 months and works perfectly, I get 4mb download 1mb upload - I can only get 1mg upload on land line broadband so I dont even bother with it - but I do live in the sticks
Old 26-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
They've recently installed fibre BB in my area so can now get that, looking through talktalk and plusnet seem to be very cheap both at about £23. Talktalk has the benefits of no download limits but a terrible customer satisfaction reputation. Plusnet is 10gb limited but highly rated.

Any comments, experiences or recommendations?
Cannot see Plusnet fibre less than £16.49 plus you have to have a phone line at £12.99 (going up soon). The ADSL that is limited to 10gb (halfprice now) speeds depend on distance to exchange, I have plusnet extra and average under 3mb/s downloads .38 uploads, sometimes downloads jump to almost 5mb (rare) and sometime under 2mb, better in dry weather (ain't most things).

Seems I am a long way from the exchange, even tho plusnet will tell me I can get up to 8mb I have never seen it. Check on your speeds/distance.
Old 26-10-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

I'm with Virgin.
Rated at 10 down and 1up and that's pretty much exactly what I get.
Tivo box, M+ TV package (inc HD and various Sky channels) for £35 I think.

Considerably better than TalkTalk IMO, but I have no experience of any others.
Old 26-10-2012
Mad Member

I just have Plusnet broadband, and not on a particularly good deal. Nonetheless, it is an excellent service and works perfectly with Mac, PC, various smartphones and iPads. Never had a problem since it was connected. BT's service for my mother has been appalling for the last three years, so not going to them however good their speeds. Am considering Plusnet BB/talk package.
Old 27-10-2012
#1 ZX5 fan

Thanks for input chaps.

Currently have TV and BB (the free one) with sky and line with BT.

My trouble is that because of distance from exchange, my ADSL up until recent exchange upgragde was only 1.6mb and now is 'only' 2.5 where as if I go fibre I'm told I should get 40mbs and they guarantee 15mb hence being keen the change.

Plusnet deal is good as it's half price until the end of today and the cheaper line rental is if you pay 12 months in advance, then its £10 a month extra to go to fibre.

Unfortunately I'm not in a cable area so Virgin is out

James - I have the 3 deal on my mobile but the trouble is if you try and watch any volume of streaming media through it they know it's being tethered and throttle you right back. This used to happen at nationals when I was trying to watch premiership games on my laptop.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 27-10-2012
Mad Member

I am in much the same position, thinking of changing to fibre for the extra speed, am already plusnet so don't qualify for a discount. Have been looking at BT inifity and the openzone/fon thing looks interesting, any one with any experience ?
Old 27-10-2012
Mad Member

EE"everything everywhere " are launching next week and hey use BT infinity's fibre optics so should be good and may have some good deal at launch.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE