Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 25-09-2010
Mad Member

Default Should I keep using high traction arms??

I ran my 501 and db01 with the std trf arms for 8 month with no brakages at all. This time last year I swapped to the new high traction arms and have since bust loads. Its not that the arm always breaks completely but chunks of the webbing break away, or the roll bar mount breaks off. Problem is when the arm does break completely its taken out shock tops and shafts.

Is it worth swapping back to the std arms or will I miss them? Theses are my indoor cars so I need all the grip I can get for polished floors.

To be fair I didn't notice too much difference when I swapped to them but I also made alot of changes to the cars.

Any opinions on these arms would be great .

Clown
Old 25-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Swap back!
Old 25-09-2010

In the year and a half I've raced my 511 I've never broken a high traction arm, despite some heavy cartwheels at the last race after wheelying at 60mph (40-50m bumpy carpet straight). It has always been the upright/steering arm that has broken in unison. Neither have I broken shock tops, roll bar mounts or hinge pins, so I'm a little at a loss at how you can break these parts so frequently.
I race the HT arms and will continue to do as they're, in my experience, nearly unbreakable.
Old 25-09-2010

In my experience the HT arms are a lot weaker than the TRF501 arms. So I went back to the 501 arms.
Old 25-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen View Post
In the year and a half I've raced my 511 I've never broken a high traction arm, despite some heavy cartwheels at the last race after wheelying at 60mph (40-50m bumpy carpet straight). It has always been the upright/steering arm that has broken in unison. Neither have I broken shock tops, roll bar mounts or hinge pins, so I'm a little at a loss at how you can break these parts so frequently.
I race the HT arms and will continue to do as they're, in my experience, nearly unbreakable.

See Ive never broken a hub or an upright.

Its usually after clipping a track marker on the inside and its only after the race I realise there's bits missing.

Clown
Old 27-09-2010

hi traction arms are super weak, 501 are the strongest, the db01 ones are somewhere in the middle
Old 27-09-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Allow me to refer you to my lame wishbone video

http://rclazy.com/2010/02/03/tamiya-...-arm-breakage/
Old 27-09-2010

Would´nt say they are superweak.
They have 43% less material than 501X arms, so they are of course weaker.

As far as I know, the HT arms are good enough for Lee and the guys? So it can´t be a big problem?

You at least have a choice, 501X arms, DB01 arms or DB01 High traction arms.
Old 27-09-2010
Mad Member

Cheers guys. I think I'm gonna go back to the 501x arms.

Clown
Old 27-09-2010

I had the same problem with my DB-01 and realized that it mostly related to my shocks bottoming out too easy after landing a jump.

Stiffer springs and harder oil fixed the bottoming out problem and the high traction front arms stopped breaking. Turns out I was running the shocks a little too soft for the track anyway..

The 501X and stock DB-01 arms are still more robust than the 511X high traction arms (if the problem persists).. I am intrigued if the new 502X arms will be a stronger solution to the 511X high traction arms..