Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 27-03-2011

Default What am I doing wrong?

Got a hong nor scrt10 and my new lipo arrived so I charged it up and then the wheels fell off (almost literally)

The electrics were an lrp quantum comp speedo, a 10t brushed reedy, a retro futaba receiver and I was using cells and all was fine.

I have bought a castle creations mamba max pro, an ezrun 5.5 and a 5000 50c lipo. The lipo arrived first so being impatient in it went.

The car flew around at tremendous speeds then stopped and the speedo felt hot. I changed the speedo to a ko propo but then I had steering and no drive. I changed the motor and then looked good to go.

Back outside the car went up and down the street then got a mind of its own. The last I saw it hurtled at frightening speeds out of view and came to rest with a huge thud into a local neighbours garage door.

Im now scared of my lipo, why did this all happen?
Old 27-03-2011

Electrical burning smell too but not really any smoke
Old 27-03-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Will the speedo handle that LiPo battery? Perhaps your fried the Speedo, servo etc..
Old 27-03-2011

the ko propo should take it, think I will wait for the cc mamba and ezrun.
How would it affect the servo?
Old 27-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I suspect the problem is the SCRT10 bit. All the people I've seen with them had issues running 1/10th electrics, killing motors, cells, escs etc. It seems that the load is just too much. It really needs 1/8th scale electrics.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 27-03-2011
Mad Member

Nothing wrong with the SCRT-10, its a great bit of kit for the money...

we have 4 of them at our club and never seen a problem electrically.

With 540 size motors they do run warm because of the high current draw... they weigh a lot and there is the rotating load of 1/8th size diffs and gear pitch.

i ran a 6.5T Fusion Fusion motor with the Fusion Comp 150A speedo, Savox 1256 servo with Spektrum radio... never a problem.

I would suggest either your transmitter/reciever is dodgy, or you haven't calibrated speedo properly..

LiPo batterys shouldn't make a difference unless your speedo is set rated at 7.2V or you haven't got a cut off voltage setting and then the LiPO's tend to explode!

If you have a low C rated LiPo and you are drawing big currents then it may cut off or if your speedo is not rated or high currents then it will either cut off or fry, can't see it effecting steering though... unless as said above... its fried and not giving reciever/servo proper power
Old 27-03-2011

I havent calibrated the speedo at all, I think I will start there.
When the brushless gear arrives I will employ a racing mate with an electronics background to set me up.

Was bloody fast tho..........
Old 27-03-2011

Si Coe

Im not against buying 1/8th elecs if thats what I need, I get one sunday off a month and have booked them all around the short course shootout so would rather turn up ready than get peed off with my car etc (i have a bad temper)

What do you recommend, and what does it cost?
Old 27-03-2011
Mad Member

You don't need 1/8th electrics... just a high enough ampage speedo to handle decent current draw and a 550 size motor...

quality 1/10th speedos will run a 550 motor fine (depending on its rating)

Most of the 1/8th set ups are designed to run on 14.8V, if you try and run them on 7.4V they are a lot slower than the same 1/8th type motor on a 1/10th speedo with same voltage.

For the shootout i'm running a 4.5T Novak Havoc 550 using my Fusion comp speedo, seems quick enough indoors, pulls very well and top end is as fast as running a 6.5T 540 size motor... plus its a bit easier on the LiPO runtimes!
Old 27-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What Frecklychimp says is correct. 12 months back, 550 sized motors really only came in 1/8th systems, with low kV's designed for 4S use. All the SCRT10's and Hyper 10SC's I've seen were set up then.
Now there are several 550's designed specifically for SCT's, which can be run with any high rated 1/10th esc. The Mamba Max Pro you've ordered should be up to this.

Running a bigger motor with more torque will reduce the strain of the motor of turning those heavy 1/8th diffs, and in turn that means less current for the esc and battery to have to handle.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 27-03-2011

Thanks for your help

I have found this on fleabay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAVOC-PRO-SC-B...item1e61312d1a

Can you give me any tips on what motor to buy on its own and where from?