Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 11-04-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Joe,

Id buy the second one and then slowly fix it, then upgrade it when the time is right for you. The reason so many items are still available is because i wanted to carry on racing this car so found companies that would and makes life a bit easier to make it at your own pace. Kamtec (zxs with undertray and parma tomcat shell without undertray) and fibre lyte (all chassis varieties, shock towers, steering plates, L braces, servo plate, soon to be pivot blocks, lipo tray and soon to be the original tub chassis) links are below.
Ok. Thanks a lot for the advice!
Old 11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosh123 View Post
It depends if you are getting one in a hurry or not. Since Welshy will soon come out with his new CF rear gear box, and I will bring in my new CF front gear box; plus Alcyon and I are making a new layshaft, almost all of the parts on my lazer is not from the original kit.

If you are not in a hurry and cash is not a problem and you want something better than the original kit, I say wait for the up coming items and build yourself a Lazer zxrs.

If one of you guys could just make a non official ZXS, i'll be very happy.
In your opinion, Will it be necessary to go from a ZX or all items could be baught separatly!?

This car is amazing.... just sad that the ZXS was produced in the time where RC wasn't one of my interest...
Old 11-04-2012

Default Great news !!!

I guys!

So here's the news: Yunfei (lllyf) has kindly accepted to sell me his NIB Lazer ZXR MK II. :-) Thank you Yunfei!

I have also found a mint Futaba Magnum PCM 1024 (75Mhz model) which was my dream remote when I was 10. I had an attack R with the car at that time. I could use my M11 now but it just doesn't feel right.

Anyway, so once I have received all the items (Car, remote, Tekin 420-g2 esc, a 10x2 brushed motor) I will built it. I will gradually post pics of the progression with comments until it is done.
This is involving quite an amount of money so I won't upgrade it right away. But I do plan on upgrading to carbon parts in the future as well as the recommended upgrades I have seen in this thread (yes I went through the whole thing lol).

But I wish to keep the following things in their original state in the car:
- The wheels and tires
- The body, which I plan on painting in it's original colors, not custom
- The wing
- The wing mount
- I would like to keep the exact same design for the front shock towers, so I wonder if it is possible for Fyber-Lite to make the exact same piece as the stock one but in Carbon Fiber...
- The original golden shocks

I will be happy to share this with you since we share the same passion for this car. This is going to be fun!
Old 12-04-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Fibre lyte do every design for this car so look on their website, i think you will be surprised with what they sell.

Wheels may be hard to come buy, so i use the Annsman Mad Rat 2wd front and rear wheels. They are the same dimensions but look much nicer and seem stronger.

Gold shocks are also hard to find but there are equaliser shocks on ebay and they were sold with the last zxrr and are a good shock.

Why not go brushless? Stick an 7.5 or 8.5 in and that means almost zero maintenance, as brushed needed constant work. Serco, id recommend the futaba S9551 and performs as well as a 9401 which is what i use in my zxs.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefiloux View Post

If one of you guys could just make a non official ZXS, i'll be very happy.
In your opinion, Will it be necessary to go from a ZX or all items could be baught separatly!?

This car is amazing.... just sad that the ZXS was produced in the time where RC wasn't one of my interest...
Regarding above about the ZXS. Well I cant supply the diffs or ujs, castor blocks or knuckle arms or rear hubs, tie rods or bearing, ball joints or centre chassis posts but can supply a new gearbox for the front, a new gearbox plastic bottom and new CF side plates plus new CF brace, possibly a prototype or used rear plastic top deck holder, a new CF top deck and new CF chassis as well as a new blue alloy kick up plate, oh and a new front and rear belt and a new LA11 layshaft pulley and rarer still the alloy pulley one way and a new set of wishbones and CF pivot plates, CF front and rear shock towers and CF steering plate and steering and I do have a brass rear alloy shock tower mount as well and bodyshell and undertray repo from Kamtec and gear cover. I think I also have a motor plate as well and pivot blocks but am unsure if new or used.

I dont have spare any LA112 or diffs, or a hyperclutch but can also supply a ZX layshaft, ZX hub, and plates.

If interested let me know but be warned its still going to be around the £400 mark not including postage.
Answer UK team driver
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Fibre lyte do every design for this car so look on their website, i think you will be surprised with what they sell.

Wheels may be hard to come buy, so i use the Annsman Mad Rat 2wd front and rear wheels. They are the same dimensions but look much nicer and seem stronger.

Gold shocks are also hard to find but there are equaliser shocks on ebay and they were sold with the last zxrr and are a good shock.

Why not go brushless? Stick an 7.5 or 8.5 in and that means almost zero maintenance, as brushed needed constant work. Serco, id recommend the futaba S9551 and performs as well as a 9401 which is what i use in my zxs.
Hi! I will go brushless at some point but for now I would like to have a setup that is close to the one I had back then... But I guess we ll see as we go.
I do have question though. What kind/brand of pinion can I use for the 10x2T motor? I would need 16 or 17teeth max, I think. Do you think contemporary kyosho pinions will fit ok on the spur?
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Regarding above about the ZXS. Well I cant supply the diffs or ujs, castor blocks or knuckle arms or rear hubs, tie rods or bearing, ball joints or centre chassis posts but can supply a new gearbox for the front, a new gearbox plastic bottom and new CF side plates plus new CF brace, possibly a prototype or used rear plastic top deck holder, a new CF top deck and new CF chassis as well as a new blue alloy kick up plate, oh and a new front and rear belt and a new LA11 layshaft pulley and rarer still the alloy pulley one way and a new set of wishbones and CF pivot plates, CF front and rear shock towers and CF steering plate and steering and I do have a brass rear alloy shock tower mount as well and bodyshell and undertray repo from Kamtec and gear cover. I think I also have a motor plate as well and pivot blocks but am unsure if new or used.

I dont have spare any LA112 or diffs, or a hyperclutch but can also supply a ZX layshaft, ZX hub, and plates.

If interested let me know but be warned its still going to be around the £400 mark not including postage.

Just wanted to add that over here in north america, Kyosho america still carries these items for the ZXS:

LA116 - Center Oneway Pully - $13
LA114 - Front Belt - $7
LA128-4 - Front Hub Carrier 4 degrees - $8
LA128-7 - Front Hub Carrier 7 degrees - $8
LA124 - Stabilizer Parts Set - $5
LA108 - Plate Set - $4
LA107 - Rear Bulk Set $2
LA104 - Suspension Arm Set (Graphite) - $9
LA112 - Transmission Post Set - $7
LA105 - Upper Deck - $30
Kyosho TF6 SP
Kyosho Plazma Ra
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Just wanted to add that over here in north america, Kyosho america still carries these items for the ZXS:

LA114 - Front Belt - $7
LA108 - Plate Set - $4
LA107 - Rear Bulk Set $2
LA105 - Upper Deck - $30
Problem is unless you live there they wont sell to you. No logik especially if no one buys .
Answer UK team driver
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kimble View Post
Hi! I will go brushless at some point but for now I would like to have a setup that is close to the one I had back then... But I guess we ll see as we go.
I do have question though. What kind/brand of pinion can I use for the 10x2T motor? I would need 16 or 17teeth max, I think. Do you think contemporary kyosho pinions will fit ok on the spur?
All depends on car, if zx then its .6 but I would advise buying my spur from rw racing as its 48dp and use an 18 or 19 pinion. If the car is a zxr its 48dp anyway. If emailing or calling as for the zxr spur gear and is down to what design, one has hexes for using the associated slipper pads or the other design is without and is more suitable for the zx ball diff.
Answer UK team driver
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
All depends on car, if zx then its .6 but I would advise buying my spur from rw racing as its 48dp and use an 18 or 19 pinion. If the car is a zxr its 48dp anyway. If emailing or calling as for the zxr spur gear and is down to what design, one has hexes for using the associated slipper pads or the other design is without and is more suitable for the zx ball diff.
What do you mean by .6?
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
What do you mean by .6?
The lazer zx spur and pinion were 0.6dp and the zxr onwards were 48dp. 48dp was not widely used in the 80's in kyosho models.
Answer UK team driver
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
The lazer zx spur and pinion were 0.6dp and the zxr onwards were 48dp. 48dp was not widely used in the 80's in kyosho models.
Oh I see. This is a NIB Zxr so I can go on and use this one I guess:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...inion-Gear-18T
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:

LA114 - Front Belt - $7
LA108 - Plate Set - $4
LA107 - Rear Bulk Set $2
LA105 - Upper Deck - $30
Thanks, that's good to know!
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Oh I see. This is a NIB Zxr so I can go on and use this one I guess:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...inion-Gear-18T
Yup thats perfect for your car.
Answer UK team driver
Old 12-04-2012

Ok :-)
So I should have all the items within the next 15 days. As soon as I have everything I'll start a topic like Ema did, and post pics as I go. It's going to be nice to build a ZXR in the original way (apart from the fact that I'll use a lipo battery).
Old 13-04-2012

Quote:
Ok :-)
So I should have all the items within the next 15 days. As soon as I have everything I'll start a topic like Ema did, and post pics as I go. It's going to be nice to build a ZXR in the original way (apart from the fact that I'll use a lipo battery).
You should just add it on this thread as you go, makes it easier for everyone to see it as this is a popular thread. Looking forward to it.
Answer UK team driver
Old 13-04-2012

Quote:
You should just add it on this thread as you go, makes it easier for everyone to see it as this is a popular thread. Looking forward to it.
You're right, and of course it is here that the discussions about these cars happen. But with time the building itself and the corresponding photos with drown in the flood of pages of this topic which will make the original building process from A to Z less accessible to people who would like to view it... I know that I really enjoy going through Ema's topic "A Lazer Zx-r for racing", since it's short and shows the evolution of the project, picture by picture.

So maybe there should be a dedicated topic for the project (a bit like a showroom), but all related questions and discussions would happen here (I would post the related pics here too anyway).

No?
Old 14-04-2012

Yes i suppose you could put the link of your build on here.
Answer UK team driver
Old 14-04-2012

Right i tried and redesigned the pivot block and drilled it through the grain but was not in the correct places for the holes. Ive given up and am now cutting a shock tower mount in half and filing each side down to fit inside the gearbox. Bit annoyed about this. I think maybe a new pivot block is needed as well as all of mine are damaged.
Answer UK team driver
Old 15-04-2012

Ok done. As my alloy rear pivot blocks are bent in knocked straightish and drilled a hole in the middle. I added a 2.8mm spacer and filed a flat spot on the pole which goes across my gearbox above the pivot block so it fits flush with the washer and the drilled a hole thru the middle of the pole and screwed together and fits perfectly without and belt touching issues.

Whats needed is a new pivot block with a centre indent at the bottom centre as well as a screw hole so a lock nut can be placed within the pivot block.
Answer UK team driver