Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 24-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Did you talk to Matt? He may be able to sort you out.
I didnt think of that! Bri was going check for me!
Old 24-09-2011

Quote:
Ebay worldwide belts are there made by a different company. Lazer zx is what you need to put in and just search and you will find.
anything for the arm braces ? by the way is there any solution to the thrust bearing? i hate putting that kyosho loose ball system together, you need the precision of a surgeon. any other brands of one piece thrust bearings that will fit?

Last edited by alcyon; 24-09-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add question
Old 24-09-2011

Default 1990 Lazer ad

from my 1990 rc car action magazine
Old 24-09-2011

Quote:
Iso,

As requested, front, rear, side from rear so you can see the position of the top wishbone, and rear blurred image is of the brass gearbox and you can also make out the brass top deck mount.

It goes really well now with the 511 shocks, 50 wt front and 40 wt rear with Tamiya blue springs rear and Losi Red (I think front) with the RPM ball joints on the rear to give that little more ground clearance.

I may now be tempted to run it on the Eden Park track if its hot. Now this can handle any brushless motor (currently have a Losi 4.5 in it) and belts don't break due to the tension. Bad point is the rear shock tower mount as the standard item is super brittle and one roll your buggered. Get one made of alloy like mine.

PS pay particular attention to the hexes as this makes a substantial difference in handling characteristics.

that battery holdwon looks uncannily like the AE B44s !
Old 24-09-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
that battery holdwon looks uncannily like the AE B44s !
Yup just the poles, the tray is my design only for zxs, and my zxr one is specifically for that as well.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 24-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
anyhting for the arm braces ? by the way is there any solution to the thrush bearing? i hate outting that kyosho loose ball system together, you need the precision of a surgeon. any other brands of one piece thrust bearings that will fit?
Do you mean the trust bearing for the diffs ??? if soo no i have no solution then stock item .

mvh Isobarik
Old 25-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
Do you mean the trust bearing for the diffs ??? if soo no i have no solution then stock item .

mvh Isobarik
yes the thrust bearing for the ball diffs! sorry didnt know where my head went to. how come no one still have not talked to me about the arm braces? i thought some of you have made them up to sell? anyone knows the belt standard? is it S3M ?
Old 25-09-2011

Quote:
Fibrelyte do the same and also various top decks. Make sure you order the correct one.

Rwracing is just that on google uk. Email or call him and say the 100t 48dp for the lazer with hexes on either side like on the b4 spurs that James Instone designed and he will know.
i am also missing the pressure plates that goes on the spur gear. if i buy the RW Spur, will i still need those plates?
i checked fibrelyte website for the Lazer parts, under lazer zx James Instone version, and i am interested in the front mount 1. since that is in a loop, is it as strong as the MMS version ? its also cheaper, and i want to buy 1 for my optima mid and 1 for my lazer.
Old 25-09-2011

Quote:
i am also missing the pressure plates that goes on the spur gear. if i buy the RW Spur, will i still need those plates?
i checked fibrelyte website for the Lazer parts, under lazer zx James Instone version, and i am interested in the front mount 1. since that is in a loop, is it as strong as the MMS version ? its also cheaper, and i want to buy 1 for my optima mid and 1 for my lazer.
OT-88 You can find on ebay!
I have an address in Taiwan they have OT-88 in stock as well, Taiwan is maybe interesting / cheaper for you.....

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom
Old 25-09-2011

Quote:
i think it will, becuase i used Lazer Suspension and lazer Ujs on my mid before and it goes in perfectly. any way i will be the guinea pig , so no risk for you guys !
welshy, from your post about adding rear weight to the ZX, it seems to me you are saying the rear end isnt heavy enough? what will the consequence be if left as it is? loss of rear traction? also how do you guys fit a saddle pack lipo under the top deck? becuase eventhough there is about 6mm from the top of lipo to the top deck, how do you guys connect the saddle bridge wire ? did you create a special type of wire? becuase the banana type connector will hit the top deck.
Basically yes, the back end needs to be set up so that it corresponds with the front (link is here for them http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=4838 ), and the only way I find to get it to work is by adding weight, specifically under the cells on either side and in the centre back end of the chassis so from the middle cells on the saddles to the motor. This aids jumping and balance under power. You can try as it and see as it may suit your style of driving, me I like aggressive. I base my weight on NICAD and NIMH cells and work around my original successful settings when using those cells.

I uses a corrally clip or equivalent with a flat top and solder onto that and use tape to stop a short circuit if the cells are close. I just U it under and have the battery holes forward facing on the chassis. I have also raised the top deck by 1.5mm and used 1.5 washers for the big screws ad Tamiya 1.5 washers for the two centre posts at the top. I did this due to adding two brass plates under the Lipo's but you may find the cells fit perfectly. I use Vampire 4400 and are the same height as a NIMH pack of cells.
Answer UK team driver
Old 25-09-2011

Quote:
anyhting for the arm braces ? by the way is there any solution to the thrush bearing? i hate outting that kyosho loose ball system together, you need the precision of a surgeon. any other brands of one piece thrust bearings that will fit?
You can still buy the spares from Kyosho or on ebay and there is another solution which is sweet . Buy the balls (you will need to measure them and get the two sizes accurate and email RCLazy and buy the ceramic balls. Once you fit these I would recommend buying the Nuclear RC diff grease for the balls and thrust grease for the thrust balls. Don't over tighten when you have built it, but enough to stop slippage. Run for a race and then re tighten and job done, its set and is smooth big time.
Answer UK team driver
Old 25-09-2011

Quote:
All depends on what layshaft you have. If you have the ZX then yes you need the two huge washers that attach to the front plate and the rear layshaft hub, and they and are out there on ebay. If the MMS one looks like the one against my name then yes its a copy of that, but I am going to modify that next month so may be worth holding off buying it for a few weeks until I am happy with it. I need another hold added.
Answer UK team driver
Old 25-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli4ke View Post
OT-88 You can find on ebay!
I have an address in Taiwan they have OT-88 in stock as well, Taiwan is maybe interesting / cheaper for you.....
I think he either means LA3 or LA5 or LA6
Answer UK team driver
Old 26-09-2011

Quote:
All depends on what layshaft you have. If you have the ZX then yes you need the two huge washers that attach to the front plate and the rear layshaft hub, and they and are out there on ebay. If the MMS one looks like the one against my name then yes its a copy of that, but I am going to modify that next month so may be worth holding off buying it for a few weeks until I am happy with it. I need another hold added.
ok i will hold off until you redesigned it. i am trying very hard to get a good deal on a ZX or a ZXR-r, just have to be patient, i know they are out there !
Old 26-09-2011

The blue special unicrank may be possibly in a shop now in the UK
http://www.gladstons.com/shop/ for only £6.50 so worth buying.

There is also an LA31 listed but unfortunately there was only one and I bought it so now no more in stock. I am after a couple more of these though so anyone have any ideas where I can find at leats three more?
Answer UK team driver
Old 26-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers James, have ordered so will see what that gets me!
Glad I hadn't ordered off ebay yet
Old 26-09-2011

i am now officialy a club member, welshy, i just bought that Mk2 that you said was worth the money! cant wait till it gets to me so that i can show some rear end to the new shaft cars !
i have a few questions before i run it.
1. Is the Mk2 spur gear 48p dp the same standard as optima mid or it normal 48p ? Will the RW spur be a direct fit on the layshaft?
2. The car came with the old style shocks, using the screw tightened shock clips. are todays threaded shcoks superior to these, or are they fine ? Cause i know for on road, having threaded shock bodies eases tweak setting, is it essential for off road?
3. Is the ZX-5 Shocks usable on this car? Is 3 racing shocks inferior to the old kyosho originals ?
4. should i wait and get the ZX-r loop shock tower from fibrelyte before running this car? if thats the case i will take the battery mounting system out and place it in my optima mid, until i can get the shock towers. which shock tower would allow me to use a Optima mid special body? or should i jyust get a ZX shock tower for this car?
5. I heard that the ZX-R mk2 is a rear heavy car and "too stable" that means understeers slightly. i know you like a twithcy car welshy, but for some one like me who likes a stable and easy to drive car, i should just go stock ?
6. you have said that the mk2 is an average car becuase of its layout? can you elaborate?
7. if i do not like the mk2, it should be possible to swap the chassis, top deck, motor plate, and the gearbox support to top deck mount, with the same parts from the ZX, to change the way the car feels ?
Old 27-09-2011

Default Wheels

Guys looking for turbo optima mid special w5023 rims. 1 set needed! Can somebody help me......??
Many thanks in advance

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom
Old 27-09-2011

Quote:
i am now officialy a club member, welshy, i just bought that Mk2 that you said was worth the money! cant wait till it gets to me so that i can show some rear end to the new shaft cars !
i have a few questions before i run it.
1. Is the Mk2 spur gear 48p dp the same standard as optima mid or it normal 48p ? Will the RW spur be a direct fit on the layshaft?
The spur wont fit the Mid, but if you have the hyperclutch (cant remember) then yes it will fit but if you do once you have got the hang of driving and have set it up go for a 6.5 or 5.5 id recommend getting a zx or zxr mk1 slipper clutch so you can upgrade with the sc10 slipper pads to handle the power.

2. The car came with the old style shocks, using the screw tightened shock clips. are todays threaded shcoks superior to these, or are they fine ? Cause i know for on road, having threaded shock bodies eases tweak setting, is it essential for off road? I use associated or traxxas shocks on my car and they are not threaded. I do put associated spring holders top and bottom of spring as they are the best design out there. Threaded is just easier but no different in what the shock does. I do like the kyosho ones tho so may be a good idea to get either those or associated, not 3racing as they are not that good.

3. Is the ZX-5 Shocks usable on this car? Is 3 racing shocks inferior to the old kyosho originals ? 3 racing are inferior, ZX-5 normal size shocks would be perfect for it.

4. should i wait and get the ZX-r loop shock tower from fibrelyte before running this car? if thats the case i will take the battery mounting system out and place it in my optima mid, until i can get the shock towers. which shock tower would allow me to use a Optima mid special body? or should i jyust get a ZX shock tower for this car? Loop tower is much stronger than anything else so is adviseable as it will save you a few gearboxes. You can use whatever shock towers you want as the zx-s shell will fit that without a problem. The mid special body is what the zxs shell is but with air scoops included and does look much better. Also comes with undertray for a small amount of money from kamtec.
5. I heard that the ZX-R mk2 is a rear heavy car and "too stable" that means understeers slightly. i know you like a twithcy car welshy, but for some one like me who likes a stable and easy to drive car, i should just go stock ? Yes stay stock and try until you have the right feel.
6. you have said that the mk2 is an average car becuase of its layout? can you elaborate? Its not as good in my opinion. If you race on carpet you cannot get the car to corner correctly due to the battery position and the way they have moved the motor mount so isnt as good on all types of surfaces as they Mk1 or ZX. However the changes are minimal to get it to the Mk1 (top deck, chassis and L brace for above the motor).
7. if i do not like the mk2, it should be possible to swap the chassis, top deck, motor plate, and the gearbox support to top deck mount, with the same parts from the ZX, to change the way the car feels ?Yes thats correct. Doubt it though for a while until you have got used to it. You most probably wont change a thing, I just like stupid steering and you may find that the car is sorted as it is.
Answer UK team driver
Old 27-09-2011

Quote:
Welshy thanks so much for the detailed info, when i asked the first question, i wasnt asking if the RW spur will fit on the Mid, what i meant was the Mid uses 48dp standard, so my pinion choices are limited. Is the stock spur on the Mk2 and the RW spur 48p or 48dp? if its 48p then its easy for me to get pinions.
Again thanks so much for the information.