Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 01-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to b4rs
Default Hop-ups big light, shiny blue ones :)

Hi, im new to the ofrum so dont have a go if i say something wrong. I am lookig to buy some aluminium blue hop up parts for my b4rs. if anyone knows where to look then please help thanks

p.s i have checked ebay, ebay shops, modelsport website and morely website. i cant find any anywhere, im looking to buy like ally wishbones/fornt arms. and shock towers that kinda thing(stuff tht brakes easiest)
thanks
Old 01-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

your not looking hard enough

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ge=search&fgtp=
Old 01-02-2007

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I am relatively new here myself, have a look through all the threads as they are full of useful bits of info if you are just starting up.
Are you going to be racing/bashing your truck or is this a shelf queen? The reason I ask is because aluminum may seem like a good idea for strengthening your buggy but in practise it does more harm than good. At least it is not advisable in the areas you mention. Ali a-arms and shock towers will pass the stresses of a crash further along the line and break something there instead. Plastic may not seem as 'cool' as ali but it flexes to absorb a crash and will end up being more durable and much cheaper in the long run. The extra weight will make the truck handle poorly and the expense would be best used for batteries, tyres and spare parts.
If you really were dead set on getting the ali bits, I believe Fastrax used to do the parts you mention. Personally I have only added aluminum to the front hinge pin brace.
Old 01-02-2007

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser

Fastrax:- ali front a-arm #FTRC01
ali rear a-arm #FTRC02
ali rear shock tower #FTRC09
ali front shock tower #FTRC13
Fastrax are distributed by CML so any store should be able to order them for you.
I should add that neither GPM or Fastrax are renown for the quality of their aluminum. The B4rs is pretty much ready to go as it is, IMO adding these parts is not an upgrade. Like I say though, just my opinion.

Last edited by Scouser; 01-02-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2007
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Sounds like good advice to me...
Like the man says, if you've got ali wishbones and ali shock tower then there are only 2 bits left to break - the bulkhead (not too bad) or the chassis (BAD...)
Old 02-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If I were you I'd be spending my money on some threaded shock bodies, batteries, tires, motors...

An all alloy car wound be aweful, it'd be really heavy and everything would bend slightly instead of breaking in a crash which whould make it handle like it was drunk
Old 02-02-2007
Mad Member

I have to agree, covering your car with bits of alloy just makes it too heavy and does nothing for the performance. but if you must.. www.asiatees.com is worth looking at...

N
Old 02-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to b4rs

ok fellas, thanks that been a big help, is it true that carbon or graphite are stronger than plastic? cos i mite jus get them parts instead. and yeah it for racing, you mite see me at batley buggy club racing my blue B4 buggy, im 15 and i love racing
Old 03-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In my experience they're about the same, official word from AE is the graphite parts are more brittle but apparently the plastic stuff has changed since they have started making them in the far east so I'm not sure if that still applies?
All the top lads use all plastic cars, I prefer how the car feels with all graphite but it's personal preference.
Old 19-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
In my experience they're about the same, official word from AE is the graphite parts are more brittle but apparently the plastic stuff has changed since they have started making them in the far east so I'm not sure if that still applies?
All the top lads use all plastic cars, I prefer how the car feels with all graphite but it's personal preference.
Richard, the car will feel better with graphite parts as it is a stiffer material than plastic and does not bend as much providing much better cornering. However, graphite is more brittle like you say and is even worse in cold weather.
Plastic parts will bend / flex more resulting in a sloppier cornering car, but the parts will be less affected in a collision.
Another advantage to graphite is that it is lighter than plastic which again can improve handling.
HTH
Mike Pembo
Old 19-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The car feels much more consistent to me with graphite than plastic, but seems to understeer a little compared to plastic
Old 20-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to LiamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
Richard, the car will feel better with graphite parts as it is a stiffer material than plastic and does not bend as much providing much better cornering. However, graphite is more brittle like you say and is even worse in cold weather.
Plastic parts will bend / flex more resulting in a sloppier cornering car, but the parts will be less affected in a collision.
Another advantage to graphite is that it is lighter than plastic which again can improve handling.
HTH
Mike Pembo
Yes, but only if the car is set up properly!!!

The stiffer the chassis the more the suspension has to work, if the shockers and geometry isn't perfect then the car will be crap. Certainly is from my days of touring cars and 12th circuit....

That's why a car with a flexible chassis will always feel easier to drive, normally makes up for a crap setup and generates more grip. Been there... done it, got the t-shirt (Schumacher Mission, Losi XXX-S x2)

I know some people prefer a car as rigid as possible then let the suspension do the work, but for us mere mortals then I think a car with a bit of flex in it is better.

I think the flex in wishbones is a total none-issue though. I don't get what you mean by much better cornering either... bit of a vague statement really!!! Like me saying "x" castor blocks provide better cornering... for me, yes, for someone else, no.

Old 20-02-2007

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamD View Post
I don't get what you mean by much better cornering either... bit of a vague statement really!!! Like me saying "x" castor blocks provide better cornering... for me, yes, for someone else, no.
Does having suspension generally improve cornering? Yes
Does a lower ride height give more traction and generally better cornering? Yes (lower CG)
Does a different castor angle change on/off power cornering? Yes
Does a lighter car corner better? Yes - and this low weight can be gained from ligher parts. A lower weight (mass if you want to be correct) will allow the CG (center of mass) to be shifted much easier and thus roll faster.

IMO a stiffer chassis results in a more stable car that responds much faster to your commands, rather than waiting for the whole car to flex before the thing actually responds. Of course, flex can occur on many different axis on the chassis.

Flex in a chassis acts as a form of suspension, however it is not easily adjustable and so prevents a consistant set up - hence suspension comes into play. Furthermore, if chassis flex is relyed upon for suspension effect then there will be a minimal amount of damping to dissapate the energy from small bumps and cause the car to be unstable ie down the straight. At the end of the day though, it is what works on a particular track that counts.
Old 20-02-2007

Send a message via AIM to Andy Moore

Unless youre running on a very high bite surface, the chassis flex only comes into play coming off jumps. In most other situations there isnt enough grip to transfer any forces back to the chassis. So in 75% of situations the difference between graphite/plastic cant be noticed. This also assumes the driver has a decent "feel" for the car in the first place.

| Kyosho America | kyoshoamerica.com | Team Orion | teamorion.com |Winning Edge Designs | wedjim.com | Jab Graphix | jabgraphix.com |
Old 20-02-2007

The only difference i noticed between graphite and plastic is this
plastic= expensive accident
graphite=very expensive accident

I certainly dont drive my car hard enough to notice the difference between the two
Old 21-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to gazbaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft lad View Post
The only difference i noticed between graphite and plastic is this
plastic= expensive accident
graphite=very expensive accident

I certainly dont drive my car hard enough to notice the difference between the two
maybe because your a daft lad lol
Old 21-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
Unless youre running on a very high bite surface, the chassis flex only comes into play coming off jumps. In most other situations there isnt enough grip to transfer any forces back to the chassis. So in 75% of situations the difference between graphite/plastic cant be noticed. This also assumes the driver has a decent "feel" for the car in the first place.
I was just going to add that most of the tracks here in the UK are rough, bumpy and usually of high grip - I can understand why chassis flex makes a difference in TC - but in Buggy racing i don't really believe it can make that much difference, maybe only the odd silky smooth track
Old 21-02-2007
LeeOtard

plastic = the future
Old 22-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to LiamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
Does having suspension generally improve cornering? Yes
'Kin hell Mike, never thought of that.

I actually ran a graphite chassis on my B4, i'm glad I never tried the plastic one, the car felt numb enough without it! Nice and easy to drive, but ultimately my Losi Bk2 was quicker when set up right. The X-6 is a nice balance of the two.