Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 08-10-2009

Default Bitten off more than I can chew ?

I am 75% of way through building an HPI Cyber 10b.
I didn't know what I was doing and bought a 7.5 turn sensored brushless Team Lossi Xcelorin.
The job lot, including a Acoms 2.4Ghz transmitter thingy and LiPo 5000Mh and clever charger cost £510 !
Will such a motor just strip my gearboxes (4WD) to shreds ?
Will I be able to programme the timing and stuff down and should I be doing this? Just how strong is the drivetrain on a Cyber?
Have I been daft? Have I wasted my money ?
Should I be giving my motor and speed controller to my kids who can make better use of it ?
Old 08-10-2009
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

You've bought a really good package there really...

The good thing about what you've bought is that it crosses the gap from beginner to competitive racer. Top racers could take the equipment you have and put in really good results with it, the cyber will easily handle the motor combo you have. So i would go out and get plenty of practice with what you have bought, go to a load of race meetings, talk to people and you'll learn heaps. The transmitter is something you would probably want to upgrade in time but apart from that a very good first setup
Old 08-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Good stuff there mate and the cyber will be fine!!
Old 08-10-2009

He's my father, and sorry he's wrong - it's not a 7.5T motor, it's 6.5T. So is that okay for his buggy?
Old 09-10-2009

Default 6.5 Doh !

Yeah sorry, he's right, it's a 6.5 turn.
People talk about slipper clutches but I priced one up and it's £49:95 !
That's almost a third of the price of the car ! Forget it. I've spent up anyway, no more money left for a slipper clutch. Maybe I'll just drive it steady with no mad acceleration or huge jumps.
Old 09-10-2009

Default Thank you

Thanks for replies. They are encouraging. At least no-one is saying DO NOT turn the car on with that motor in it ! I have built it carefully and stuffed the gearboxes and driveshafts with as much high quality grease as I can. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck !!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
Thanks for replies. They are encouraging. At least no-one is saying DO NOT turn the car on with that motor in it ! I have built it carefully and stuffed the gearboxes and driveshafts with as much high quality grease as I can. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck !!!!!!!
You've got yourself a really good setup there. The 6.5 will make for an interesting first drive but you can turn it down over the speedo and end point adjustment on the transmitter if it has it. Ask someone at your local club if you have trouble and don't forget the manual for your radio. It's a little fiddly to set up.

One thing though. How much grease did you use and where did you put it? Generally you will want to put some on the gears but not pack the transmission housing with it! The driveshafts don't need greasing at all as you will just end up with a dusty grinding paste after having run it for a pack or two. Don't put grease on the spur and pinion either...

Other than that have fun and go easy on yourself, the car might be a bit of a handfull for the beginning but can be tuned down
Old 09-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The car should be fine with that motor, although as has been said you don't want too much grease in there and it has to be the right stuff (you should have got some in the kit)

If you feel the motor is too fast for you initially then the Acoms transmitter has a feature that lets you 'turn down' the amount of throttle to smooth things out and limit top speed.

Otherwise great package and maybe consider the slipper as an upgrade in time to come as it'll make driving on low grip tracks easier.
Old 09-10-2009
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

No problems at all with that set-up. Come on down to York this saturday night and I'll help you with the motor - I run a 5.5 in mine.
Old 09-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Get the slipper as soon as you can!
I run a D4 (the car on which the Cyber is based) and have been having slipper problems - basically it kept slipping. So to finish the meeting I simply tightened it till it locked ie effectively ran without a slipper. The central rear transmission shaft snapped in the very next race!
Basically the slipper helps protect the transmission from shocks over jumps etc - not using one can result in transmission damage. It might be expensive, but pay for itself over time.
You won't need it at first: your 6.5 is a lot milder than my 4.5 but you will need it!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 09-10-2009

Set the initial acceleration to medium if you're worried about the power to start with.

Also, maybe claibrate your esc/transmitter before installing it in the car (although don't rev it hard)while not attached to car.
Old 09-10-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Just a thought but if you are worried the motor is too powerful for you to start with, why not buy a cheapish second hand 10.5T or similar and bung that in until you get used to it?
Old 10-10-2009

Default All

thank you all. Received and understood. No I haven't packed the gearboxes full and I have used the correct grease. No, I would never grease a spur gear. I don't know how I knew not to do that, probably because it didn't say to do it in the intructions I guess. This is the fifth car I have built now, but undoubtedly the one with the most performance. The others were basic Tamiya jobbies.
I have posted a new thread about my pinion gear (which I bought today).
Old 10-10-2009

Default To Spoolio

Yes Spoolio, v good idea ! I thought about that, I have a box of stock 540's, some of them almost new, but I have had my connections built to suit the thing that came with the Lossi speed controller. All my old (sensible) stuff won't fit this new (mental) stuff.
If I use old 540 motors I will have to use ni-cads. I have 2 nicad sticks, but I won't be able to get them connected up. I appear to be stuck with this new mental stuff. Which I don't understand, but when the time comes for me to HAVE to understand it, I will.
Old 10-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
Yes Spoolio, v good idea ! I thought about that, I have a box of stock 540's, some of them almost new, but I have had my connections built to suit the thing that came with the Lossi speed controller. All my old (sensible) stuff won't fit this new (mental) stuff.
If I use old 540 motors I will have to use ni-cads. I have 2 nicad sticks, but I won't be able to get them connected up. I appear to be stuck with this new mental stuff. Which I don't understand, but when the time comes for me to HAVE to understand it, I will.
if your meaning you can not use lipo you can
if you mean you can not 540 brushed with your new brushless system, depending on what you have most will work brushed motors, check the spec
Old 11-10-2009

No. I've made up my mind. The opportunity to build the car and install and programme this motor has come now and I'm going to take it.
I aren't going to put the motor on full power. Maybe 60% at first.
I've driven R/C cars before (and boats and aircraft for many years) and I know how quickly things can go wrong. I aren't going to chuck it on the ground shouting "It's ready" and wrap it round a lamp post or take someone's foot off. I will be ok.
It cost too much to smash up ! It's 6:36 am and motor installation commences in 15 mins ! I put a message on about whether 20T pinion is satisfactory for 84T 48Pitch spur gear but haven't had any replies so it's going in !
Old 11-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
No problems at all with that set-up. Come on down to York this saturday night and I'll help you with the motor - I run a 5.5 in mine.
Thank you for kind offer, unfortunately I was a long way away from York last night !
The car isn't finished yet. If I get problems when the time comes I might be in touch. My son is also building a Team Associated 2WD 1/10th buggy with same electrics (or will be when the dealer gets some stock!). .