Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 29-07-2010

Default sx2 idler replacement and grease?!?

Had to buy a 2nd replacement for the Gear Idler on my SX2.
Twice its burnt out!! (see my previous thread).

Anyways on the replacement that came through today direct from Schumacher there's a label on the bag stating "For maximum life we recommend that the gears are lubricated with axle grease and that the transmission housings are sealed with silicone rubber, to prevent dirt entering the gears".

Guess whats in the bag with the spare idler? some axle grease!

Now looking back through the manual when putting together Gear Idler (page 5 of the manual) - it states nothing at all using any grease directly on the Gear Idler.

So im wondering as part of this ongoing issue with the idler melting Schumacher are now suggesting that grease is applied onto the idler itself?

Does this sound right? placing grease directly onto the edges of the idler gear?

Here's my previous thread on idler burnouts
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonm View Post

Anyways on the replacement that came through today direct from Schumacher there's a label on the bag stating "For maximum life we recommend that the gears are lubricated with axle grease and that the transmission housings are sealed with silicone rubber, to prevent dirt entering the gears".

Now looking back through the manual when putting together Gear Idler (page 5 of the manual) - it states nothing at all using any grease directly on the Gear Idler.

So im wondering as part of this ongoing issue with the idler melting Schumacher are now suggesting that grease is applied onto the idler itself?

Does this sound right? placing grease directly onto the edges of the idler gear?

Have never used grease on these gears... yes I change some gears in the 1½ year I have drove CAT, but never melt one down as you did. And I don´t think I will give my gear grease because it is hard to seal the cover properly
Are you sure there is no play up&down in your layshaft or a bearing is broken? I have not seen anything like that´, but I broke a plastic gear on my cougar because there was too much play and my son have broke one on his CAT because the bearing have a lot of play and I change the gear without check the bearing and after one run, the gear was damage.. a new bearing and new gear and everything was fine a again.

I think problem with the bearings in the new kits, they have not got properly lube from the factory and they running out of oil/grease and that damage the bearing.

Danish 4WD champion 1989, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

www.racegallery.dk
Old 29-07-2010
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonm View Post

all new gears now come with grease and yeah as stated in instructions put it on idler gears
Old 29-07-2010

yeah i'm racing Friday night so I'll replace the idler and add the grease on. Guess it is something they have changed since the SX2 initially came out.

As for the post from the guy in Denmark, if you read my other post you'll see that it has happened to a few people - so im guessing these new instructions on the replacement part are for a reason.
Old 29-07-2010

When I first had the CAT, I used a set of gears every race. They became razorsharp and then stripped.

Then I started to use some high speed grease on the gears and I'm using my current set for almost a year now ! Absoluterly no problems with dirt entering the gears. Just put some thick grease on the edge of the cover to seal things.
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefke View Post
When I first had the CAT, I used a set of gears every race. They became razorsharp and then stripped.

Then I started to use some high speed grease on the gears and I'm using my current set for almost a year now ! Absoluterly no problems with dirt entering the gears. Just put some thick grease on the edge of the cover to seal things.
you would have thought that if Schumacher knew about this problem on the original Cat SX that they would have included this in the SX2 maunal - rather than people having to go through sets of gears to find this out on the forums !
Old 29-07-2010

in getting setup for racing tomorrow - Ive just greased the idler. Problem now is that when the idler mesh's it just forces the grease out to the side of the gear I guess the mesh has a small gap and what grease there is gets squeezed out.

Im hoping that even though there doesnt seem to be a lot of grease between the mesh (as it squeezed out) - that there is just enough to keep things smooth.
Old 31-08-2010

Would this be the gear that ive heard schumacher are now replacing with a steel one?
Old 01-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I have to say the last lot of gears I put on are still going... 1 regional, 4 grass club nights and 2 carpet club nights

Hope I didn't speak too soon!
Old 01-09-2010

ive only ever stripped one set of gears when the layshaft bearing went, the bearing isnt really manly enough in my opinion.

after replacing the gears and bearing ive had no issues, i grease up the gears before each race meeting and check them through out the day.

It does seem to be the biggest week point on the car
Old 01-09-2010
Mad Member

my sons CAT went for ages on a set of external gears, then the layshaft bearing collapsed, so I had to replace the gears. I also replaced the bearings in the gearbox with quality ABEC rated bearings.

Since that replacement, his CAT hase used one set of external gears per meeting, and the cougar is not thatf ar behind in terms of wear - and this is with 7.5 motors in them on astro.

I am seriously un-impressed - the replacement parts are just not fit for purpose!
Old 01-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

come to think about it the last time I changed the gears might have been the time I changed the bearings too... might explain a few things.
Old 01-09-2010

Yeah, the layshaft bearing is the main problem. The idler gears should last aslong as the bearings are maintained
Old 01-09-2010
Mad Member

In my case, the bearings are now quality bearings that run very free, and the layshaft has no play in it. The gears are still only lasting for a very short amount of time - and I have tried them greased on not greased. The only difference being is that the replacement process is cleaner if they are not greased.

Maybe if the manufacturers used quality materials during the manufacturing process we would not be having these discussions.
Old 01-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgie View Post

Maybe if the manufacturers used quality materials during the manufacturing process we would not be having these discussions.
Couldnt agree more, maybe they should look at tighter quality control. It seems to be very hit and miss with who's gears actually survive
Old 01-09-2010

I have the same exteranl gears in my cat since last november, check if the belts aren't too tight. If they are, play with the exccentric to allow the belts to roll free. I test for any tightness with the motor removed.

I had the same problem with the cougar as you, but I found that applying the teflon gear grease works alot better than the supplied grease. Since the change I only used 1 set of gears.
Old 01-09-2010
Mad Member

Let me ask you this question:

Would you be willing to pay more if the parts weren't made in China out of cheese, but in the UK out of Delrin?
Old 01-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Let me ask you this question:

Would you be willing to pay more if the parts weren't made in China out of cheese, but in the UK out of Delrin?

without the shadow of a doubt as long as they were robust - currently spending around £30.00 a month on external gears between the cat and 2 cougars.
Old 01-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

RW Racing can help out I am sure, like they did for the 201, if someone sends them a gear I am sure they will work out a price etc for a batch

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 01-09-2010
Mad Member

i have tried ringing them today, but the phone has gone unanswered. I'll keep trying though!