Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 15-02-2013

Default xx4 help

Hi there. I've never owned one of these before so have no knowledge of these cars. I've stripped it down to the bare bones and noticed the the area around the spur gear and mid pulley assembly on the chassis have been ground away by a dremel. Is this a common mod or has the car been fitted with the on road spur and pully???
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 15-02-2013
Mad Member

It's likely a previous owner has done this just to run a slightly bigger spur gear,

can remember with one of them (sorry, can't remember which size now) it could slightly rub the chassis on hard jump landings when the bearings were well used.

If the slipper mechanism is missing then it will be running the Street Weapon touring car layshaft/spur gear, it was a fairly common mod played with years ago, i think it was to do with saving battery power by having more direct drive

wouldn't recommend running without a slipper with modern more powerful brushless systems and higher grip tracks, it would definitely eat through belts!
Old 15-02-2013

On the XX4-WE at least, the chassis came from the factory clearanced around the base of the spur gear. This was to help stop the spur touching the chassis on hard landings - changing one trackside isn't fun.

If it's a relatively neat looking job then it's quite likely factory. This pic from Jimmy's XX4 review just about shows it:

Which spur are you running? I've always swapped the kit 84T item (purple) for the 82T (yellow) one.
Old 15-02-2013

thanks for the help.

thought there might have been an issue with having the wrong pully and spur gear. The spur gear does have the slipper clutch on it along with the purple spur gear. It also has the one way clicker on it, should i keep it on or put the standard one back on, what are the dis/advantages of using it???
iv'e posted a pic to show you whats been done, its certainly been done with a dremel unless TLR or going for the homemade look. I've also noticed that the same mod has been done around the F & R diffs as well.
Old 15-02-2013
Mad Member

Does it have Aluminium bearing holders on the rear centre layshaft?

could possibly have been modified to run slacker belts which was tested years ago by the team,

maybe different gears have been tried too... i haven't seen one modded like that before.

I would definitely leave slipper in and the one way clicker is a good setting to play with on as it adjusts the braking effect/balance and changes off power steering.
Old 15-02-2013

i think it has the standard plastic layshaft bearing holders not the alu ones.
Old 16-02-2013

Yep, that's definitely been had at with a dremel but only for belt and gear clearance by the look of things - pretty standard stuff. I'd put the yellow 82T spur on with both the slipper and clicker mechanisms. Set correctly the slipper helps protect the belts and the clicker is a useful tuning option which (if you find you don't like it) can be locked up with washers instead of the spring.