Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 23-08-2011

Default Buying RC10R5.. any tips??

hi all,

after some saving it looks like im about ready to buy my pro 10 car and the 10R5 is the weapon of choice...

so what should i be doing, modding, changing etc straight away??

all help is much appreiciated

many thanx

tony
WGT-Serpent S100
Old 23-08-2011

firs thing is not to buy the 10r5.....buy the better value calandra gen x10 le......ive owned the original genx10 in the past and ive just built and tested a gen x10le....the new lipo edition is a big improvement and unlike the 10r5 you dont have to spend on it after building it....

take a look at the others before you buy the 10r5....its a pricey bit off kit compares to the others on the market.
SANWA
MCR
Old 24-08-2011

Not sure how much truth there is in this, but i was advised that Associated were considering discontinuing the 10R5.

The calandra does look like a nice option

KEEP RIGHT ON
BLUE IS BETTER
Old 24-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arransmith27 View Post
Not sure how much truth there is in this, but i was advised that Associated were considering discontinuing the 10R5.

The calandra does look like a nice option
Associated discontinued the RC10R5 last December. Due to demand they did one final production run in May, put together from the stock of spares they had, but that was the last run of them.

Nothing needs changing on any pan car, they all have everything they need as standard. The biggest advantage over others is both building and driving them correctly.

I would suggest looking through Mark Paynes blog for tips, especially his L4 front end build. The R5 has different parts and a different way of mounting it to the chassis, but the tips work the same for getting the R5 front end built properly.
http://markpayneblog.blogspot.com/20...front-end.html

The one problem with the Associated diff is the use of an aluminium cone to put a side load on the outer flanged bearing in the diff, it means you end up with a rough diff after a short while as the bearing wears and it is usually destroyed in a right side impact. Replace the cone with a Corally 10010 thrust bearing and as long as you don't let it slip the diff will last for ages without needing a rebuild.