Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Closed Thread

Old 13-02-2007
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
When im racing i always have some basic stuff in my pocket such as slipper spanner wheel nut wrech and some pliars.

So if this ever happened to me i could just cut the wires.

A
thats the best thing thats been said all night there well done ashley
voice of reason
a must for every marshall no more burt fingers ether plugged or soldered

quick question for the other people that solder cells in, what was the reason you started to solder in ur cells, what was the changing point and why, ill give mine later i dont wont to influence the answers
Old 13-02-2007
Mad Member

Nice idea Ash, but I'd have to say that's equally dangerous. Just imagine slipping over while marshalling with those in your pocket. It wouldn't take to many falls to end up with something stuck in your leg.

Connectors or No Connectors, were talking very very small differences. Everyone's right, once it starts to smoke it's knackered. But one difference, if you see the smoke and manage to unplug before it gets to the point of flames, then the manufacturer is probably more likely to honour the warranty claim.

If you send back a molten chuck of chard plastic, they're likely to think "user error" first rather than product fault. It's not like they can identify the fault if there was one.
Old 13-02-2007
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

ah, but Phil, they could use the Northy theory, and examine the magic smoke to define the problem
Old 13-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

None of them are very pointy but i didnt think of it like that. But my keys are proberly sharper than any of the things i carry in my pocket. And my wallet acts as a good padding with all that cash in. NOT.

A
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
so lets look at full sized cars electrical fire were the plugs there
you even need spanners to do that
and in case you rally nuts are reading yes rally cars have a battery isolator switch but it doesn't stop electrical fires
Sorry couldnt help but but in here,

First most cars have a fused link in the battery lead, directly onto the battery the idea of this is if you have a major short that it will burn out causing loss of the circuit hence loss of resitance hence loss of heat.

and the autolec switch fitted to all racing cars does the same its fitted in the main battery lead and once switched off the circuit is dead.

That doesnt mean that the wiring /component wont be damaged beyond repair but it does mean that as soon as the load exceeds the fuse rating the circuit will die.

My answer is carry a set of side cutters, believe me it cuts the power quick and on the spot ! the only thing i will say is if you do spare a thought for the guy whos car it is and cut close to the batt connections.

After all a soldered joint is far more efficient than a plug, but a plug is more convenient to the club racer (and certainly my thumbs...lol).

So each to there own weither you want convenience or effiency its up to you

That mho for what its worth.
Old 13-02-2007

My opinion, for what it's worth (which is next to nothing ), is that this whole soldering the connections thing is superstition.

The resistance of a good connector is less than the cable that it replaces so the only way that it can reduce the performance is if it means you have to put extra cable in. I think if you're careful then it should be just as good. I bet if you did a controlled, scientific test then it'd show that there was no measurable difference.

As for big cars. Well, it's true that you need a spanner to take off the battery leads. But big cars have fuses! That's why your car doesn't catch fire when you short out the radio .

Just my two penneth ...
Old 13-02-2007

But i dont carry them for that reason i carry them for outting ball studs back on and pulling stuck motor brushes.

A
Old 14-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony View Post
The resistance of a good connector is less than the cable that it replaces so the only way that it can reduce the performance is if it means you have to put extra cable in. I think if you're careful then it should be just as good. I bet if you did a controlled, scientific test then it'd show that there was no measurable difference.
I'd put money on you being right ! So much of this hobby is full of this kind of 'speed secret rubbish' You'll be telling me I need to glue my tyres on next !

My point was simply the saftey of the marshall. A car that CANNOT EASILY be turned off shouldn't be allowed to race in my opinion, its dangerous to the marshalls and all in the immediate vacinity.

Carl, racing before I was born ! Well, your holding up well old lad, I didn't realise you were so ancient ! . My point is simply that I have being racing for a good couple of decades and then some, and i've had to Shut off my fair share of cars going out of control, thankfully they have never had the cells soldered in.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 14-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's View Post
I'd put money on you being right ! So much of this hobby is full of this kind of 'speed secret rubbish' You'll be telling me I need to glue my tyres on next !

My point was simply the safety of the Marshall. A car that CANNOT EASILY be turned off shouldn't be allowed to race in my opinion, its dangerous to the Marshall's and all in the immediate vicinity.

Carl, racing before I was born ! Well, your holding up well old lad, I didn't realise you were so ancient ! . My point is simply that I have being racing for a good couple of decades and then some, and I've had to Shut off my fair share of cars going out of control, thankfully they have never had the cells soldered in.
thanks for the complement Andy, i don't often get told i look younger than i really am,lol i understand what your saying and have been there many a time
we have also lost numerous rounds and finals and even a national final because of dodgy connections, and for us that race week in week out it was to much a risk we have been soldering cells for the past 2 years and never had one disconnection, or for that matter one speedo blow up or fire,
its all down to good maintenance,and personnel choice,
and I'm sure Mick cragg and bradders and numerous others will aggree,
but if we all did the same it would be a boring old world would'nt it
Old 14-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony View Post
My opinion, for what it's worth (which is next to nothing ), is that this whole soldering the connections thing is superstition.

As for big cars. Well, it's true that you need a spanner to take off the battery leads. But big cars have fuses! That's why your car doesn't catch fire when you short out the radio .

Just my two penneth ...
so in comparason, how many servos cause a speedo to fry

try shorting out your big red wire to your starter motor, NOT all cars have fuses where they could hence why the fire brigade when on scene will pop a bonnet and cut the battery wires.

no one seems to have noted that when the smoke is release and as the car in this topic the speedo was still glowing orange, yes the speedo was goosed but how long could the cells take a dead short before poping, (see the rcracechat threasd on exploding 4200's.) glen could have been taking the car out side and have a cell go up in his face. now if im marshalling and see smoke ill look, if i can not unplug as its soldered in, then car goes down and i walk away, remember you marshal at your own risk and take steps to prevent injury to your self.
Old 14-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Please explain Carl how lowering the resistence in the battery connection, and therefore increasing the current the speedo can draw, can make things run cooler?!

If you have problems with plugs falling out you're doing something wrong, I've never, ever had a battery disconnect. It's not like I change them every 2 minutes either, I think the connectors on the speedo in my b4 have been on the speedo for at least 3 years
Old 14-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
so in comparason, how many servos cause a speedo to fry
That statment is quite correct actualy, a servo can blow a speedo, by having an incorrectly adjusted servo, under certain conditions, can spike the BEC circuit of the ESC, this fails, then the ESC goes open circuit and blows the FETS.

re: connectors, a well maintained gold plated corally/deans is just as good as a solder joint, unless you suck the solder off each time, and solder adding fresh solder each time, then you might have an advantage, of maybe half to a quarter of the on-power resistance of a decent new FET....
Old 14-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx4-nutter View Post
i heard about this when i was at teeside, and could smell it too but missed the big poof of smoke ! lol

what caused it ?

Garry D.
Ian Southwell?
Old 14-02-2007

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A

P.S. I pissed my self laughing at that but i dont know whats so funny about it
Old 14-02-2007

Ashley, you realy are up for most 'random' posts this month aren't you...
Old 14-02-2007

Nope i cant compete with the king of random northy

A
Old 14-02-2007

yeah, but Northy's are funny.....
Old 14-02-2007

Exsactly
Old 14-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
Please explain Carl how lowering the Resistance in the battery connection, and therefore increasing the current the speedo can draw, can make things run cooler?!

If you have problems with plugs falling out you're doing something wrong, I've never, ever had a battery disconnect. It's not like I change them every 2 minutes either, I think the connectors on the speedo in my b4 have been on the speedo for at least 3 years
as usual Richard Ur off down the wrong line again lol
so what your saying is a loose connector arcing out doesn't produce neat HMM
and your saying that corrallys never loose there spring, god how many times have i had to use a screwdriver to stretch the springs on them,
well i wonder why the likes of the big guns do this then Richard
do you think Mick, bradders, etc do it because its fun
i doubt that, and if connectors are good enough for you why the hell should you change i know i wouldn't,
but just remember the first time i see your car stop and find a connector has caused it, ill take the piss out of you all day,and as you know these thing often come back and bite us all in the arse

what i was saying is matthew lost a big race because a connector fell of it will never happen again,
Old 14-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
as usual Richard Ur off down the wrong line again lol
so what your saying is a loose connector arcing out doesn't produce neat HMM
and your saying that corrallys never loose there spring, god how many times have i had to use a screwdriver to stretch the springs on them,
well i wonder why the likes of the big guns do this then Richard
do you think Mick, bradders, etc do it because its fun
i doubt that, and if connectors are good enough for you why the hell should you change i know i wouldn't,
but just remember the first time i see your car stop and find a connector has caused it, ill take the piss out of you all day,and as you know these thing often come back and bite us all in the arse

what i was saying is matthew lost a big race because a connector fell of it will never happen again ,
there is a term for that "PPP"