Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 20-04-2011

Default TC set up question ??

hi all,

well im almost there now and am rebuilding a TC (corally rdx phi) for my return to RC car racing...

however being new to to TC im wondering under what conditions is it best to use a front diff over a spool and vice versa ???

never had these spools n things when i last raced ... !!

many thanx

tony
WGT-Serpent S100
Old 20-04-2011

A spool is almost always preferred now, so just fit it and forget.

A spool allows for much harder acceleration out of the corners by ensuring the front wheel with the most grip (the outside) gets the power sent to it. With a diff the power goes to the unloaded inside wheel instead which will just spin.
Old 20-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymong View Post
hi all,

well im almost there now and am rebuilding a TC (corally rdx phi) for my return to RC car racing...

however being new to to TC im wondering under what conditions is it best to use a front diff over a spool and vice versa ???

never had these spools n things when i last raced ... !!

many thanx

tony
I prefer a diff in the front slightly tighter than the rear, Especially on a tight twisty track like TRCC
Old 09-05-2011

well due to the cost of the front diff i decided to go spool !!!!...........

and.........

didnt like that at all !! no low speed front end at all !!!!

is there a 'different' set up i should be using with the spool??? different ways of applying addidtve???

etc

many thanx

tony
WGT-Serpent S100
Old 09-05-2011

You will have a lot less turn-in with a spool, so you will need different settings.

I'd start by softening the front springs. You can then also look at thinner front shock oil, shorter wheelbase, less rear toe-in, lower front roll-centre (and/or higher rear), more front camber (and/or less rear).

Basically anything that adds steering. Have a read of the Hudy setup guide to understand what everything does:

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showfile.p...252739b1ad8c24
Old 09-05-2011

I think that it may just take a little time to get used to using the spool, some people adapt to the slower turn in of the spool quicker than others. I personally think it is a massive advantage over the front diff. You can get so much power on out of the corner that it would leave a diff standing.

Try softening up the front end a touch to try and allow you to get tight into the corners and put some power down when exiting the corner this will push the car round and you'll be off .
Old 09-05-2011
Mad Member

Try the diff. The front drive makes an enormous difference to the way the car handles. You could spend loads of money and time trying to get the spool to roll through a tight corner and still not match a diff in that respect. On a tight track, I am faster with a diff than a spool, and it is undoubtedly easier to drive.
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Try the diff. The front drive makes an enormous difference to the way the car handles. You could spend loads of money and time trying to get the spool to roll through a tight corner and still not match a diff in that respect. On a tight track, I am faster with a diff than a spool, and it is undoubtedly easier to drive.
That's a very good point; I'm a tarmac racer so I'm talking about tarmac racing. If you're actually on a tight little carpet track with a stock motor then a diff may well be quicker, and it'll certainly save you money on front driveshafts.