Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 06-06-2012
Mad Member

Default Centro vs. S2

Does anyone know if there's a difference in the layout / measurements of these two cars? (look very similar to me at first glance)

And if anyone have had both, do they handle differently?

Cheers

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 06-06-2012

the main change is the rear end and the way its all mounted the s2 had the wish bones mounted the the gearbox, the c4.1 has them mounted to the chassis. the s2 was great on high grip tracks but when the grip gose down it stugguld the c4.1 is great on all tracks
Old 06-06-2012
Mad Member

Thx! But what is the reason for that?

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 06-06-2012

I found the S2 and the new C4.1 felt exactly the same to drive as they are fundamentally the same car - main difference is the carbon tub chassis on the S2 which should give different flex characteristics to the C4.1 alloy chassis... also the S2 does not bend nor need a fortune spending on it to keep it on the track!
Old 06-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker 2 View Post
I found the S2 and the new C4.1 felt exactly the same to drive as they are fundamentally the same car - main difference is the carbon tub chassis on the S2 which should give different flex characteristics to the C4.1 alloy chassis... also the S2 does not bend nor need a fortune spending on it to keep it on the track!
Thx! This was my exact thoughts as well! Alu will flex in a different way, and the downside being that it bends easily And those carbon tubs are just the coolest thing in RC! I've got a RED SWB chassis now, awesome!

Visit my showroom
Old 06-06-2012

Agree with wacker. I am not going to make any friends with this but I don't think the centro seems complete as far as a conversion goes. There is a issue with the chassis for sure so why don't cml put the chassis braces in the conversion. I am taking nothing away from the car. I had a quick go of one and it drove well.
Old 06-06-2012
Mad Member

Rudebits make a carbon chassis for the C4.1 as well:
http://www.rudebits.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id=359

Would still flex more than the S2 tub of course...

Visit my showroom
Old 06-06-2012

The s2 does flex but not from front to rear,but from a twist type motion..ie grab the front and rear and it will flex a little.This is a design character and is what gives the rear end a bit xtra grip.

I loved my s2 and was the single biggest regret when i sold it,i had a centro and just could'nt get over the amount of flex the chassis gave,dont get me wrong it stuck like poo to a blanket but i feel was greatly compromised.

Dont forget the centro is based on the s2,Cant wait for the s2 evo

My Feedback..http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85397
Old 06-06-2012
Mad Member

Thx so much for the input guys!

Visit my showroom
Old 06-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker 2 View Post
also the S2 does not bend nor need a fortune spending on it to keep it on the track!
I run mine (C4.1) without any wussy chassis braces and it's ok

A tiny bit of tweak doesn't really make any difference, I managed to bend my prototype chassis last year at the Southport national (hitting Northy's rather substantial footwear DRS open, KERS deployed on the straight), after doing nothing more scientific than putting it over my knee and bending it back then ran it until I got my production chassis - didn't make any difference to the handling!
Old 06-06-2012
Mad Member

I have a good tip for you guys with alu chassis plates: I used to do a lot of fuel track racing, and there was a guy in Sweden that rectified bent chassis plates. Probably using some sort of press or roller, not sure. Anyway, it turned out that you can do this process only 1 time. And it becomes stronger than it originally was! (and it costs a fraction of a new one)

Edit: Forget that, would be tricky with the front kickup

Visit my showroom
Old 06-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
I run mine (C4.1) without any wussy chassis braces and it's ok

A tiny bit of tweak doesn't really make any difference, I managed to bend my prototype chassis last year at the Southport national (hitting Northy's rather substantial footwear DRS open, KERS deployed on the straight), after doing nothing more scientific than putting it over my knee and bending it back then ran it until I got my production chassis - didn't make any difference to the handling!
Then you were lucky in how it was bent. My first chassis was tweaked, and it made a huge difference. This was at a raceday, and couldn't drive the car fast anymore. Took a new chassis (thanks matt), and won the next final with it.

Besides that, the hingepin braces are no good, this could have been easily fixed by changing the mounting just a little bit, and you wouldn't even need shorter hingepins.

Replacing chassis and hingepins would cost me about €100, so I threw it all in a box and moved on

Yes, I am dissappointed
Old 07-06-2012
Mad Member

...moved on to what Wouter?

Visit my showroom
Old 07-06-2012

Er....what came 1st 2nd & 3rd in last year National Championship? was it an S2? NO

It was a Centro

twisted or bent I doubt you notice the difference unless you're an A finalist, it's off road not 12th
Old 07-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post
Er....what came 1st 2nd & 3rd in last year National Championship? was it an S2? NO

It was a Centro

twisted or bent I doubt you notice the difference unless you're an A finalist, it's off road not 12th
Well, a bent chassis is for sure not faster than a straight one Nor does it look very cool...

Visit my showroom
Old 07-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post

It was a Centro

If you can do 5mins without mistakes, and you know how to setup a car, you feel the difference.

With that attitude, why convert your B4 to a C4.1 , why buy different oils and pistons, why move camberlinks around, "unless you're an A-finalist"?

They would have also been top 3 with an S2, it's the same car (carbon tub is just more expensive).

They might me 1-2-3 at the worlds, that doesn't change the fact that the quality is just not that good (not talking about performance here).
Old 07-06-2012

sorry I have been living in a hole and just woke up.

what is an S2?
Old 07-06-2012
Mad Member

It's the atomic carbon car that the centro is based on, it has the exact same geometry, but used different materials.
Old 07-06-2012

Totally agree with Flipside. It makes no difference what success the centro has had. Any reasonable driver would be able no notice the chassis being bent when driving. What do cml say about the chassis bending
Old 07-06-2012

that's old though isn't it, like 4 or more years old and totally unavailable