Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 01-02-2013

Default Supastox independent wishbones

Hi Guys.

i have the Supastox independent wishbones and was wondering what everyone'a setup is like... springs rubbers and everything else.

also why have you gone this route or why are you running independent.

in theory it will be better handeling on oval and circuit.

so what is your setup etc.....

cheers
levon
Old 01-02-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Tried it and took it off, no better on circuit for me. Just about all top national guys use kit front end.
Old 01-02-2013

i saw on the facebook page the silicone rubbers and was wondering if i got those and did the front with diffrent springs... maybe harder oens as they are nto linked now, so they will have to carry there own weight..... but i think i will hav to get a spring kit and play around to see how it will do... i can only say that if you get it set up right, it has to be better but it is findingthe sweet spot that is going to be a pain
Old 01-02-2013

Why would it be better?
Old 02-02-2013
Mad Member

Yes, why would it be better? The kit front effectively has an anti-roll bar so one might expect it to perform admirably considering the weight of the car and the fact that more roll gives less castor gives more steering - and one thing a Supastox seems to have in spades is steering!

Harder springs will give the car more bounce over the bumps and take away steering. If it were better they would all be using it... wouldn't they?
Old 02-02-2013

Isn't it only really needed for oveal racing where you can independently adjust the camber?

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80777
Old 02-02-2013

for me and the way i understand it, is if each wishbone can operate independently then in theory it should handel better but, saying that the kit spec one does act like a anti roll bar.... so it is hard to say.

i will buy the spring kits and give it a go and report back... as i am sure if setup correctly, it should perform better.

Old 02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by levontraut View Post
for me and the way i understand it, is if each wishbone can operate independently then in theory it should handel better but, saying that the kit spec one does act like a anti roll bar.... so it is hard to say.

i will buy the spring kits and give it a go and report back... as i am sure if setup correctly, it should perform better.

why would it handle better on independant suspension?

also why is it not being used by the top drivers? they would be the ones that could make it work "if" it was better
Old 02-02-2013

in real life cars, it is like having a solid diff with leaf springs in the car... then you get the cars that have independent arms and all... they just handel better.... now i have the kit and i have no installed it yet so i can nto comment on how it will handle..... but as i said, it should be really good if you get it right...

now i know i asked what are your opinions and all so thank you very much for your input and advice.

Old 02-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

To get the best out them both in circuit racing,i think the std one is better on low to med grip,you can throw it into corners and it hooks up,for the average driver the independent is smoother on really high grip,it understeers more,im not saying its faster but if it helps you to not crash as much,then your 6min time will be better

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 02-02-2013

Quote:
in real life cars, it is like having a solid diff with leaf springs in the car... then you get the cars that have independent arms and all... they just handel better.... now i have the kit and i have no installed it yet so i can nto comment on how it will handle..... but as i said, it should be really good if you get it right...

now i know i asked what are your opinions and all so thank you very much for your input and advice.

and all of those independant suspensions cars have a roll bar fitted to get the best from them...
Old 02-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
in real life cars, it is like having a solid diff with leaf springs in the car
That's nearer what you have in the rear of the Supastox. The front end is just like the trailing beam axle found under the rear of almost all front wheel drive cars on the road today.

The kit front end is still independent. The plate acts as a pair of semi trailing arms, the centre strip twists to act as an anti roll bar as well as the inner mounting point of each arm. It's a proven concept that has been around since the 80s and was good enough for Corally to win many Euro and World championships with it. The independent front end is more useful on ovals, where you can use it to put a bias into the chassis. Only turning one way means you can run a softer inside and a harder outside to help handing around an oval.

Quote:
... then you get the cars that have independent arms and all... they just handel better..
The Supastox is more like all the lightweight racing cars, such as F1 cars. The suspensions on those use a single heave spring to support each end of the car, and each side is connected by a very stiff anti roll bar. The fact they are solidly attached and not actually independent is why they can actually get back to the pits when they get a puncture.

A lot of 1/8th on road chassis, while having double wishbone suspension, have a very much solid anti roll bar fitted so again they are more or less attached each side with no real independent suspension.

If the Supastox was more like a much heavier touring car or road car, with similar amounts of suspension movement, you would need to run considerably harder tyres to lose grip and stop it falling over at every corner. Just because it has a saloon or GT body on top of it doesn't mean it actually behaves like one.
Old 03-02-2013
Mad Member

Terry; as usual, the voice of reason... Good post.
Old 03-02-2013

thanx for the reply terry.... i got to agree with you, i do see a problem with the independent wishbones as there is no anti roll bar.....

also now afrter reading your little post, i am a little bit upset i just bought the kit to fit on my car.

i might just put it up on ebay now to get at least some of my money back or do a swop for pinions or something... i think i need to have a think about it... or have to cars.... one with for oval and one with out for circuit

hmmm
Old 03-02-2013

Get hubs and axles' its then less that 5 mins to swap the whole front end from oval to circuit.
Sure I said to you on FB a while back not to bother?
Old 03-02-2013

Default Independant

I have fitted the independant set and for me the car is much better
Racing circuit it handles realy well and feels more predictable
Guess it suits my driving style
Old 04-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
thanx for the reply terry.... i got to agree with you, i do see a problem with the independent wishbones as there is no anti roll bar.....

also now afrter reading your little post, i am a little bit upset i just bought the kit to fit on my car.

i might just put it up on ebay now to get at least some of my money back or do a swop for pinions or something... i think i need to have a think about it... or have to cars.... one with for oval and one with out for circuit

hmmm
I would just give it ago,as me and others have found its much smoother,not quicker,i think if you want the most out of the car then the std is better,if you want a nice smooth race then the independent is good

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Get hubs and axles' its then less that 5 mins to swap the whole front end from oval to circuit.
Sure I said to you on FB a while back not to bother?

i had bought it already then posted on facebook and here m8.

LOL

what do you mean by hub and axels pls??
Old 04-02-2013

Steering hubs and axles so you can build the whole unit up ready to bolt on