Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash Potato View Post
Any updates on this folks?

I've tried contacting the airline I'm travelling with but seem to be drawing a blank. Info I have found seems to be that the rules have recently changed, but if I can get a definitive answer or pointer to the info that would be ideal.
Not racing lipo's but I had to bring 3 large 18v 5000mAh Lion drill batteries home from the USA recently and asked at check in. In short the above advice is still correct. All batteries (including ones in the car) must be in your hand baggage and almost certainly will be checked at the scanners. Cover the terminals with tape and you will be fine. I had a guy at the scanner query it saying they were not permitted but I stood my ground and he checked with a supervisor and I was cleared to travel.
Old 09-03-2016

So i actually carry battery prototypes all over Europe with work. The original post of this thread is some good advice.

All i would add is that the CAA places restrictions on the maximum you are allowed, but the airlines are welcome to place restrictions above and beyond that.

Please see the link Below which shows the British Airways Policy, I carry a print out of this document with me at all times (even when flying with other carriers), you will often find that the check in staff or the security line staff will have their own interpretation of the rules, so you should have this to hand just to show how you are complying. Its also worth noting that this document is updated OFTEN. Last year you could carry up to 20 x 100wh batteries, this year it has been reduced to 4!. Having said all that, i have never been stopped, and i have carried some pretty suspect looking packages onto a plane.

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...um_battery.pdf

there is a lot of speculation and crap reported by the press and inaccurate gossip about the topic. The biggest issue at the moment is that most LiPo's are sent on pallets on airfreight from the far east. And this is what is being cracked down on for the obvious risks.

And just to clarify the terminology between Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer. THey are all the same as far as regulations go, it covers ALL lithium batteries. (LiPo, is actually a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery)

Tom
TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR 22 5.0 AC Elite,

Kindly Supported by Trackside Spares, TLR, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby
Old 09-03-2016
Legendary dude

Interesting thread

I work in the aviation industry and lithium batteries are a real pain at the min as the rules change all the time. My role I have to be fully trained on dangerous goods.

All aviation authorities inc the CAA answer to a body called IATA and they produce the rules for the carriage of dangerous goods by air.

IATA have produced a table for check in staff see attached https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/...ble-23A-en.pdf.

In it you will find relevant info regards lipo's

If oople members would find it of use I will post any updates to the rules regards lipos and air travel.

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 10-03-2016

This is great advice, much appreciated. So I'm thinking by the sounds of this if I take my car, radio and battery (taped up over terminals) of 5000mAh I should be OK. Not been racing in years, now it looks like I may be an international racer :-)