Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 21-07-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher
Default Breath testing at BRCA meetings!

Seems anyone found under the influence could now face some form of action at brca meetings

Random breath testing was conducted under BRCA general rules at the recent tc meeting, (not down to tc section or drivers)
Old 21-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I wonder what the term `under the influence` actually means ? Could be one drink, could be 5 depending on how its interpretated
Old 21-07-2013

Is it actually possible to race these things drunk?!
Old 21-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Best buy some mints, my breaths always bad at the track, far to many sunday cigarets

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 21-07-2013

I think this is ridiculous. If I go racing with some mates and one of them is driving, does this mean the ones who aren't driving home later can't enjoy a beer or two? I mean its toy car racing for gods sake.

So do we know what the limit is going to be? Surely it has to be higher than the legal drink drive level?
Old 21-07-2013
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belsten View Post
I wonder what the term `under the influence` actually means ? Could be one drink, could be 5 depending on how its interpretated
I guess its in-line with motoring regulations, 80mg or whatever per whatever, the normal breath test. Certainly a couple of beers impairs your ability (I've checked several times), a substantial amount could easily make you dangerous.

We have never had a problem at the Invernational, some thick heads on Sunday morning but never a problem with freshly razzed up individuals trying and failing to get round the track safely.

Probably a good thing to wait to see where the BRCA take this, then use the AGM to discuss.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.

Last edited by Stu; 21-07-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 21-07-2013

Fun whilst it lasted, I best find a new hobby
Old 21-07-2013

Apparently there was an issue at a BRCA event (not touring car though) where a driver 'under the influence' became rather abusive.
Also from what I have read it might well void the insurance if there is an incident and the driver is worse for wear...
Old 21-07-2013
Mad Member

I have no idea regarding the law around this, but is it legal for a person, other than a law enforcement type, to demand a breath test in this manner?
Old 21-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRob View Post
Apparently there was an issue at a BRCA event (not touring car though) where a driver 'under the influence' became rather abusive.
Also from what I have read it might well void the insurance if there is an incident and the driver is worse for wear...
seems to be it Keith

they were using breath test kits at tc so i assume its the legal drive limit, (even if you have not driven to the track) and it can have implications on the BRCA insurance. it has been a rule in the handbook for years, just never seen it in action before, as its in general rules then it would apply to all meetings run by brca clubs
Old 21-07-2013
Mad Member

Was told this at the E8 nationals.... does seem a bit OTT, but guess it will only be enforced if a driver is absolutely wasted..
Old 21-07-2013
BANNED

It has always been the case that an intoxicated individual is not allowed to race, it has always been there in the rules. A measure of what 'intoxicated' is can only back up existing rules. I'd like to think that a driver with a small amount of alcohol in their system would be no problem, and vice-versa for lots of alcohol.

The boundaries of what is and what is not 'drunk' would need proper discussion with the BRCA.

If I was the steward of a meeting and a competitor that I suspected to be drunk refused to take a test (as is their right) I would exercise my right and ask them not to race.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.

Last edited by Stu; 21-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 21-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw123 View Post
Is it actually possible to race these things drunk?!
Yup, did that in the 90's and did rather well drunk, wasnt a problem as i wasnt drinking whilst driving my real car.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 21-07-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie stella View Post
Fun whilst it lasted, I best find a new hobby
Old 21-07-2013

Hi

Amazing isn't it - that nobody ever bothers to actually:-

a) Read the rules
b) Stop and actually think that somebody might be trying to help you..

You will find in your rule book that it's been a rule for donkey's years that anybody 'under the influence' will be expelled from the meeting

That is an obvious (and anybody who thinks differently should take up another hobby) health and safety basic requirement.

But

When an official turns round to you at booking in on a Sunday morning and says 'You're worse for wear - go home'.
(Which is a increasing problem in several sections unfortunatly, so we'll all be under the spotlight until it improves..)

And all you've been doing is munching a giant size pack of wine gums all the way there how do you PROVE otherwsie?

Correct, we've now got a fix..

You use one of the disposable breath testers each and every section have been told to go and get.

Takes all the argument out of it - for everybody concerned.

We Will Protect Our Officials.

As Unfortunatly there is a very vocal minority that think the officials are just verbal punchbags, and some who think race meetings are places to get drunk - and while that continues we'll all have to put up with some inconviences I'm afraid.

The long term fix for this is in YOUR hands..
Old 21-07-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spencer View Post
Hi

Amazing isn't it - that nobody ever bothers to actually:-

a) Read the rules
b) Stop and actually think that somebody might be trying to help you..

You will find in your rule book that it's been a rule for donkey's years that anybody 'under the influence' will be expelled from the meeting

That is an obvious (and anybody who thinks differently should take up another hobby) health and safety basic requirement.

But

When an official turns round to you at booking in on a Sunday morning and says 'You're worse for wear - go home'.
(Which is a increasing problem in several sections unfortunatly, so we'll all be under the spotlight until it improves..)

And all you've been doing is munching a giant size pack of wine gums all the way there how do you PROVE otherwsie?

Correct, we've now got a fix..

You use one of the disposable breath testers each and every section have been told to go and get.

Takes all the argument out of it - for everybody concerned.

We Will Protect Our Officials.

As Unfortunatly there is a very vocal minority that think the officials are just verbal punchbags, and some who think race meetings are places to get drunk - and while that continues we'll all have to put up with some inconviences I'm afraid.

The long term fix for this is in YOUR hands..
It's also BASIC health an safety to not operate equipment when taking certain antibiotics so will we be checking to see what tablets people are taking lol

I'm guessing though the "drunk" as people are referring is to people drinking at an event an not being hungover from the night before?
Old 21-07-2013
BANNED

The Sunday morning thing is not about having a hang-over, it's about still being razzed up.

I sort of thought Jim had sewn it up there, he makes total sense to me.
Old 21-07-2013

Default testing

might as well start testing for performance enhancing drugs too may have a lance armstrong type figure in rc with super fast thumbs
Old 21-07-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The Sunday morning thing is not about having a hang-over, it's about still being razzed up.

If its drunk at a meeting the yeah I understand, just thought I may have to become a recluse on a Saturday nite lol
Old 21-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post