Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 01-03-2012

Default Lens length?

What length of lens is mostly useful for RC photography? I'm looking at the new Nikon 85mm f1.8 prime which looks nice and wondering if it would a decent choice or is longer preferable?

The wide aperture would allow for some good shutter speeds indoors but then I guess focus would be seriously critical.

I use a cropped sensor btw.
Old 15-03-2012

200-300mm zoom for RC aircraft.

Indoor photography is hard work!

These pics were taken with a Canon 450D and 200mm Tamron zoom. I'd recommend a faster lens though.

Currently looking at a Nikon D7000 and the latest 28-300 zoom...lots of $$$$ though...

cheers

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lev001.jpg (172.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg lev018.jpg (161.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg lev011.jpg (201.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8717.jpg (189.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8741.JPG (428.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 15-03-2012
Administrator

The 70-200 afs vr nikkor is the best all rounder for RC - I got mine very battered and abused from adorama, for about £750 - I'd love a new one but this works OK, just has stiff zoom ring.
Before that I had an 80-200 AFD - the AFS version of the 80-200 is supposed to be great. Either are pretty fast focusing though, as long as your camera has a focus motor.

I've used a D3 for action stuff since 2007 and find the 70-200 is nice on the wide end, but a bit short on the long - so bought an ancient 300 2.8 last year to make up the long end - its a 1980's lens so its slow and not great but useful sometimes.

I've not used the 85 1.8, I've had a brief play with an 85 1.4 afd - nice but I wouldn't buy it for RC action stuff really. The lack of any zoom function I'd find a bit limiting as you can't always pick where you stand/sit/lay at a track.

I think you'll definitely be able to get some magical shots with it - its far and away better than any kit lens, that's for sure. But as far as 'the best' all rounder goes, it's easily the 70-200 vr.
Old 16-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

my camera has max of 1600 iso for indoor use, which would make it better, a better lens or a camera with higher iso?
Old 16-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
my camera has max of 1600 iso for indoor use, which would make it better, a better lens or a camera with higher iso?
Depends on what lens you're currently using, but generally a faster, bigger aperture, lens would be more advantageous imo. Even with these modern super high iso ratings, the pics aren't great when you get that high, best to have a whole lot more light in the camera from a fast lens.
Old 16-03-2012
Mad Member

+1 to what poopers has said above.

Canon have just released the 5D MkIII so the previous mark 2 and even the mark 1 models are cheaper than ever. Because these camera's use a full frame sensor ( one that's the same size as a 35mm negative as opposed to a normal APSC sized sensor which is about two thirds that size ) you can shoot in dimmer conditions. That said if you can't afford a decent lens to go with it the FF sensor will really show it up. Depends if you can make money from photography or have just won the lottery if you want to splash out on a really good camera.

However... In today's market of constant tech and everything else almost any DSLR will be very good, the lenses are what really make the picture ( and the photographer obviously ).

If you've got about a grand spare the Nikon D7000 is a cracking piece of kit !

My paintwork thread
Old 16-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

I have a cannon 400d sigma lens and the kit cannon one. not sure on numbera, just thought a newer camera may help
Old 16-03-2012
Mad Member

That camera isn't that old Mark, kit lenses tend unfortunately to be on the cheap side so if anything I'd buy some better glass for your camera. Also having used a fair few although Sigma and Tamron are very good they don't compare to the actual manufacturers lenses. If you can afford it get a good Canon lens, it will always work with the next camera you have where as getting a new camera and still using the same lenses might not have much of a difference

My paintwork thread
Old 16-03-2012

Thanks for your comments. I suspected the 70-200 f2.8 would be the ideal but the price is a bit . I usually use a 35mm f1.8 for most of my photography and love shooting at around f1.8-2.8 but it's obviously too short for RC.

My tele lens is a 55-200 cheapy, great photos from such a cheap lens but not fast enough for indoors.

I also shoot karate at competitions occasionally and need a fast lens for that, but the 35mm is ok as long as I can get close to the mat. Longer would be better for though as I could blur the background out a bit more and not have to risk getting kicked!!!

I've recently upgraded from a D40 to a D7000 and I've yet to see how it's faster ISO performs. The D40 was struggling at times to get a decent shutter speed and have acceptable noise, even at f1.8. Having the in body focus motor has opened up a heap of older cheaper lenses for me to look at as well.

Might look into renting a 70-200 for the next karate comp. and see how it fairs.
Old 16-03-2012

Mark, like eyeayen said, your camera’s ok. Unfortunately there are not many more demanding things to shoot than indoor sports. The dream Canon lens for indoor RCs is the 70-200mm L F2.8 mk2, but that’s almost 2k! I use a 70-200mm F4 IS L, which is half the price, but I wouldn’t have much hope for it indoors. When it got cloudy at the oople race I had to go uncomfortably high in the iso range.

For experimenting, the cheapest option would be something like Canon's 50mm F1.8 (£80) and try to get in close to the action; it’ll give you more of a feel for what a big aperture lens can do.

Alternatively, if you’ve got an event coming up, rent a lens from someone like lensesforhire.co.uk, I use them quite a bit and they’re very good, lets you really see what lenses are good for what you shoot.
Old 18-03-2012
Mad Member

Found............. http://www.juzaphoto.com/article.php?l=en&article=64

200-500 zoom @ F2.8 canon fit

seriously good wildlife pictures on some of his other pages, enjoy
Old 18-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJC View Post
seriously good wildlife pictures on some of his other pages, enjoy
Without meaning to derail this thread his portfolio and gallery sections are stunning ! I know they say it isn't the camera it's the photographer which yes there is a huge element of truth too. However having the best gear be it a fantastic lens or the right shock springs do make things work better. If you've got the right tools for the job to start with it just makes everything easier from the off.

Never hired a lens but it sounds a perfectly good reason to so you can try out the gear and see what a difference it makes to the photo's you take !

My paintwork thread
Old 19-03-2012
oOple Contributor

I've succesfully used a 70-200 f4 outdoors and a 100mm f2 indoors
later I bought a 70-200 f2.8 IS and that one gave me more good shots, not better shots. Indoors I still prefer my 100mm.
DON'T buy a 5D Canon for (indoor) RC (have read it above somewhere) the focus points are crap, only the middle point is 'ok'.
I would recommend lenses faster than f2.8 as that activated cross type AF sensors and gives you AF on horizontal and vertical contrast.
85mm or 100mm indoors and get yourself close to the action will give you nice shots! (and it's cheaper)
Go high in ISO if you need to, better to have a noisy pic than a blurry one.
resize, sharpen!

It still is 40% material and 60% technique. If you don't know how to use your camera outside auto modes or can't follow the race with a smooth hand, your shots will be crap, even if you've got good equipment.
Give me light, a cheap camera and I'll give you great action pics, but it won't be 500 good ones. Like my 1D would ;-)
Good luck

http://picasaweb.google.com/bnkoffroad

Last edited by Cooper; 19-03-2012 at 09:14 AM.