Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG 40 View Post
Ive just finished replaceing the ballcups on my XX4 that completes my restoration as i had some left over from another build, i managed to purchase my old car last year pure coincidence it was on ebay and i saw it after 10-15 years lol

I did use it last year and it was much nicer to drive than my B44.1 its just i wanted to shelf it as it had memories attached.

If you can get one as said parts are available and to drive its mint, im hunting now for a sedcond one so I can have it as a spare car.
That's really random! How did you know it was your old one? Yes I use mine now full time and will now never sell it. Your looks good! There's always good ones on here or eBay, saw one the other day and it was very clean with all the right bits on it.

I was going to start a show me your xx4 thread on here but didnt want to look like an idiot. You should start one
Old 08-01-2013

Quote:
PAULJCENTRO: As for TLR releasing a 4WD buggy. I for one, and this has been discussed quite a lot in depth in other forums, think that it will NOT happen. For many reasons of course, but the biggest one being money.
It's already confirmed that a new 4WD buggy is in the development. But even the team doesn't know when it will be finished and when they will drive it. It took few years for the 22 between development start and release ... it might take some time for the 4wd too.
Old 08-01-2013

When was this confirmed?? B great if true
Old 09-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
It's already confirmed that a new 4WD buggy is in the development. But even the team doesn't know when it will be finished and when they will drive it. It took few years for the 22 between development start and release ... it might take some time for the 4wd too.
Really? Where was this confirmed? Would definitley be excellent news if it has been, but sadly, after Dyno has left, I would suggest those plans are either severley delayed or shelved for now.

He was THE driving force behind reviving the XX4 within the team and development of it for future applications.

But as usual with Losi, we will see hey!
Old 09-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have no idea weather TLR are working on a 4wd or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if one did suddenly appear, they have done the 22truck, and the 22 sct, the 8ight is due an updated version at any minute. I think a 4wd sct from TLR is more likely 1st as it's a big market and I think it will be baised on the losi SCTE but better shocks and in kit form etc. Then I can't imagine their eye has not glanced at the 4wd market and they have started to go hmmmmm.

This said I would also never be surprised to see new 22 also, with a few little tweeks here and their, just to freshen up there 2wd sales

so tbh I wouldn't poo poo the idea of a 4wd

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 09-01-2013

I asked one of their team drivers and because I didnt expect that clear answer too I asked again if it is 100% sure.
They are currently testing new 22 parts but no comments on what else they were testing. Dustin was running new caster blocks this weekend with 3 positions for the link thats all I could see.
edit: 4WD was the TEN SCTE wiith normal tlr shocks
Old 09-01-2013

Keep askin buddy

New 22 and 4wd drive for me then il hold back on any other purchases thats for sure
Old 09-01-2013

The student loan would prob stretch to a tlr 4wd me thinks
Old 10-01-2013

nobody knows when it will be there so dont get too excited it might aswell take one more year. But I want to see it as soon as possible too :P
Old 20-03-2013

Losi still list the XXX4 G+ on their site but not many places actually have them listed (Amain, Losi Parts House etc. etc.). Associated finally bought out a 4wd buggy after Jconcepts did their BJ4 but and the B44 has been revised 3 times now and not one change to the XXX4. Would be nice even if they just revised the XX4 WCE abit and bring it back out.
Old 20-03-2013

Not gonna happen in the near future...

The main driver behind the XX4 rebirth project no longer works for TLR.

The XXX4 is making A Finals comfortably.

Why bother when the class is slowing and not a main seller? This question keeps going round and round. Not before or after the worlds or in the forseeable future.
Old 20-03-2013

4wd Buggy class is bigger than what it has ever been. Back when the XXX4 came out which must of been around 2001/2 there was stuff all manufactors that sold them. Now there is Associated, Tamiya, Castor, Durango, Kyosho, Schumacher, Yokomo and even Xray. The XXX4 isn't selling as everyone knows how it performs and who long it has been out and how it performs, maybe Losi are trying to break the AE's record with how long they had the RC10GT out for. The XX4 coming back is just wishful thinking. Was one of my favorite kits to ever come out.
Old 24-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Losi still list the XXX4 G+ on their site but not many places actually have them listed (Amain, Losi Parts House etc. etc.). Associated finally bought out a 4wd buggy after Jconcepts did their BJ4 but and the B44 has been revised 3 times now and not one change to the XXX4. Would be nice even if they just revised the XX4 WCE abit and bring it back out.
+1 yeah, again the XX4!
Old 24-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
The XXX4 is making A Finals comfortably.

Why bother when the class is slowing and not a main seller? This question keeps going round and round. Not before or after the worlds or in the forseeable future.
The XXX4 can indeed work very well but I'm told it can struggle on a bumpy track because it lacks droop?

And why bother? Well, I think the statement of 4WD that is 'slowing' is mere illusion with such a quick rise of the 2WD class. Fact is though, Xray entered the class recently, a couple of brands updated their cars, Team Xtreme's effort for their Vega 4 looks promising on the pictures (ok, it's not a Pred but it's nice and refreshing in it's own way), JQ is working on a 4WD buggy and quite a lot of brands recently updated their 4WDs.

It's pace can be extremely good in the right hands, but I'm not sure it would fair as well compared to an up to date 4WD in the hands of a club driver (I haven't tried it, so this is what I'd expect). Also, wasn't the XXX4 discontinued?
Old 25-03-2013

All valid points......

Apart from the one about Vega....

Yes the XXX4 has been discontinued but still definitely able to get parts much easier than the XX4. Its one of those things really, and if you look at racing numbers and entries to large events, but also club racers, due to the fact the most club racers see 4WD as a huge expense, they go to Shourt Course trucks and 2WD in general. It is slowing, it is much quieter on club level, Horizon and Losi make no money from hardcore racers.... The money is made from bashers and club racers, they dictate where the company places all its eggs.

If you look into this, especially the US and Asia where the only money is made by these companies, you will notice this trend away from 4WD.

Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 25-03-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: addition
Old 25-03-2013
Mad Member

Apart from the Vega...

If that's the case, then maybe there would be an opportunity to re-invent 4WD. Cheaper, less parts and better performance Might be a tough challenge but those ones yield the best rewards.

Even if they release a 'normal' take at the 4WD, it's still a profitable product and 'completing' the 10th scale lineup has it's own advantages. Brand representation in all classes (which makes the brand better known to areas and clubs that do drive 4WD more). And like good parts support, TLR owners may also consider the TLR 4WD over other cars being a TLR (if you don't offer that, you're assured that that doesn't happen)

I understand you have to consider profitability, but only selling the big ticket car(s) in the long run isn't going to help the profitability of your company (people lose interest in that small lineup you have with a lack of diversity), and it could ruin your income by the time that the popularity of classes starts to switch again.

All that said, I don't see TLR coming up with a 4WD very soon... I would love to see them do it though!
Old 25-03-2013

I just think its crazy. They make the SCT and stadium truck, both of which are based off the 22 platform (the SCT even has a 4wd derrivative). I might be being naive here, but surely they must be able to port an element of theSCT 4wd technology across to a 4wd buggy?

Its just frustrating for those of us that are brand loyal, but I'm currently using an SX3 due to their gap in model range...........
Old 25-03-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_TLR View Post
...(the SCT even has a 4wd derrivative). I might be being naive here, but surely they must be able to port an element of theSCT 4wd technology across to a 4wd buggy?...
I wouldn't think so unless you you wanted a bit of a tank of a 1:10th 4wd, the TEN-SCTE is based on the 8ight from what I can tell.
Old 25-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
I wouldn't think so unless you you wanted a bit of a tank of a 1:10th 4wd, the TEN-SCTE is based on the 8ight from what I can tell.

oh?? I thought the 4wd losi sct was 1/10 not 1/8 ? Modelsport list it as 1/10 ? bizzare
Old 25-03-2013

Richard is saying that it is BASED (only based on design, not scale) on an 8ight, but it is 10th scale. If you have a look at it on the losi site.

At the end of the day, the question keeps coming up. Losi are in the business of making money for Horizon full stop. If they don't see a class as viable, then why pour money into a hole. Which at the moment, is what 4WD buggy racing is. Not in the UK obviously, but definitely in the US, Asia and Scandinavia (definitely Sweden where I am) 4WD is dead. One look at entries can tell you this, as I said above.