Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 19-12-2010

Default winter tyres

any body have any experience with winter(not snow)tyres?are the any good?
Old 19-12-2010
Mad Member

Little short of brilliant. I've had them on hire cars in Sweden and Finland, with and without studs, and the difference is night and day.

Most UK road car tyres have two problems - too wide (so they don't cut through the snow and slush, and spread the load too widely on ice) and too hard (temperature rating A basically switches off below 45 deg F, so you get nothing from the compound) to run on snow and ice in the UK.

Winter tyres are softer, thinner and with a block tread designed to do two things - shed snow/slush and switch on a much lower temperatures. The concern is that on clean tarmac in a usual winter temperatures, they will wear faster, and the handling will be below what you get on the usual tyre. If you can live with that , then they are worth an investment.

My experience in the Nordics is that on any cold surface, snow/ice or not, they give more grip in every situation, and allow you more margin for error. However, I haven't had problems in the UK with summer tyres over the winters. The main reason for getting stuck is sheer volume of snow, or other idiots abandoning cars in stupid places just because they can't drive properly. If there's lots of snow the car just can't ride over, winter tyres won't help, and if there's a risk of idiots on the road I just stay home. HTH
Old 19-12-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Snow tyres, check with your insurance company, as there are reports of companies saying that you have modified your car, and invalidates your policy.
Old 21-12-2010

I literally LOL'd at some bloke on the local radio about a week ago.
He spent an hour harping on about how naieve the British public were by not fitting snow tyres, and how his Nissan Micra could tackle any road gritted or not due to his prudence of fitting snow tyres. A caller rang to ask what his insurance company has said, as the caller has been told their ins company would no longer cover once fitted. Bloke on the radio went silent and then in a very sheepish voice said..'I never thought to check'
Wish I could have seen his face
Old 21-12-2010

They are supposed to be great in this weather but they wonnt last long in the summer. Another problem is actually getting hold of them as they are like gold dust in the UK at the moment.
Old 21-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Wraggy

i bought some "winter tyres" last week for the rear of my car and they are awesome , will only be on till March and then back on to normal summer tyres so wear rate wont be a problem..
even in the wet and freezin conditions it doesnt wheel spin at all..
Old 21-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Wraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Snow tyres, check with your insurance company, as there are reports of companies saying that you have modified your car, and invalidates your policy.
is this Winter or Snow tyres as there are 2 different things?
cant see how running winter tyres will invalidate insurance ? as there making ur car safer to drive
Old 21-12-2010
Woop Woop Member

told insurance company i had fitted winter tyres and they said it was classed as a modification but was such a sensible one that no charge was added to my premium. they did remind me however that above 14 degree.s C that i should revert back to my normal tyres as the winter tyres overheat at that point and cause more issues than help. having said that they are the nuts and have made getting around a hell of a lot easier in this weather. only issue i have is other none prepred numpties getting stuck and causing a road block

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 21-12-2010

I had seen the insurance thing on the BBC National news but can't remember if it was snow, winter or both.

The person they spoke to from the Insurance Ombudsman said to phone your company up to tell them as it is technically a modification, but a safer one. If they try to charge you just as for the supervisor, then manager etc. until they don't charge. The Ombudsman bloke said the confusion over charging was all down to the call centre staff not knowing about the tyres and why people are changing them so with any luck they all should know by now!
Old 22-12-2010

I think it's a 'box ticking exercise'. If some companies can push you into their modified car category and bump up your premium they will.
Likewise if you didn't tell and then needed to make a claim, they'd probably refuse to pay out. Insurance companies aren't known for their morals...or common sense.
You might be able to stop quicker by swapping you tyres but can the guy behind who hasn't swapped them? It's a stupid argument, but one I'm sure they'd use.