Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 24-03-2010
Mad Member

Default Big bore shock v`s

What are you views, pros and cons off big bore shocks not just schumachers big bores v`s normal bores shocks?

Reason i ask is i have a s**t load of the old grey pro shocks with ally cartridges that i might use instead of the purple bodied S1 shocks.

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 24-03-2010
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

big bores are way better, thats why all the 1/8th buggies went to big bores,there really is a massive advantage on the track,
Old 24-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
big bores are way better, thats why all the 1/8th buggies went to big bores,there really is a massive advantage on the track,
Massive advantage.. no
1/8th went to them becuz it was the next big thing. Now with the cars being as large as they are it may have helped with the rougher tracks but its probably not going to make you a .1/sec faster, maybe mentally. With as light as these electric cars are it'll jus add weight and soften the landing from that tripple you've been over shooting all day
Old 24-03-2010
Woop Woop Member

having driven them i do find them a big advantage, mainly over the bumps and especially when landing off jumps. the car has a far larger safety window meaning you dont have to be quite so acurate all the time. for the average club racer i can see this being a big help. as for weather they improve a laptime is another thing but they do help to gain consistency in a run so you can get more of your quicker laps

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 24-03-2010

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

the only advantage of big bore shocks is that temperature changes dont affect the viscosity of the oil as much due to the increased volume of oil in the shock. I cant remember where i read that but apparantly itsd true
Old 24-03-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timee80 View Post
the only advantage of big bore shocks is that temperature changes dont affect the viscosity of the oil as much due to the increased volume of oil in the shock. I cant remember where i read that but apparantly itsd true
Mmmmm, so if the temperature changes, only some of the oil changes viscosity How's that work then? Does some of it not change temperature? Whoever wrote what you read was wrong if that's what they wrote

G
Old 24-03-2010

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

a lower volume of oil will obviously change temperature according to its environment alot quicker than a larger volume of oil. Think of warming a babys bottle of milk up in a jug of hot water. A thinner bottle will warm milk up much quicker (is it convection that im trying to explain)
I know what i mean anyway
Old 24-03-2010

I think he means that big bores work more consistency over a larger temperature range compared to normal shocks due to a larger volume of oil...

Like water in the sun..small amount will evaporate quicker then a large amount.. I think.

Granted that's all far to technical for me...I simply put shocks on, drop car from 3 feet and see what happens...Big bores don't bottom out as much, job done...

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 24-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
Massive advantage.. no
1/8th went to them becuz it was the next big thing. Now with the cars being as large as they are it may have helped with the rougher tracks but its probably not going to make you a .1/sec faster, maybe mentally. With as light as these electric cars are it'll jus add weight and soften the landing from that tripple you've been over shooting all day
having sat track side and watched two of the very same cars going around, one with big bores on one with standard ill take big bores all day long,
massive advantage YES. better through the bumps better of jumps and better of landing how the hell can you say thats not a advantage,
Old 24-03-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timee80 View Post
a lower volume of oil will obviously change temperature according to its environment alot quicker than a larger volume of oil. Think of warming a babys bottle of milk up in a jug of hot water. A thinner bottle will warm milk up much quicker (is it convection that im trying to explain)
I know what i mean anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylon View Post
I think he means that big bores work more consistency over a larger temperature range compared to normal shocks due to a larger volume of oil...

Like water in the sun..small amount will evaporate quicker then a large amount.. I think.

Granted that's all far to technical for me...I simply put shocks on, drop car from 3 feet and see what happens...Big bores don't bottom out as much, job done...

J

Now that might be true if we were talking about quick heating/cooling of shocks here (like a baby bottle in a pan), but we're not. Even with our poor weather the temperature changes slowly.....

They are better for other reasons that even I do not understand all off/or fully. But I know some.

G
Old 24-03-2010

tell us o what u no northy please
Old 24-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
having sat track side and watched two of the very same cars going around, one with big bores on one with standard ill take big bores all day long,
massive advantage YES. better through the bumps better of jumps and better of landing how the hell can you say thats not a advantage,
Read very carefully what I wrote. I said yes they help thru the rough and over jumps. And just like stated previously on here, they do help with consistancy (they absorb more) but so that is me stateing their advantage, but it is not MASSIVE it won't allow you to be any more specatular. I've driven several cars before and after and it does have its advantages yes but it won't make your car gold either. Massive advantages to me are faster laps, nothing else matters.

But they give some a placebo effect...
Old 24-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I see you've got a XX4 in you sig.

It has been a well know fact that the Losi shocks are / have been the best out there.

I'm certainly looking forward to trying them on my Cougar SV CF and Cat SX.

The other way I see it (please correct me if I'm wrong) it enables you to run a thicker oil and thus potentially stabalises the car more.

I myself am interested in the benefit of the rounded pistons as they are now listed on the Schumacher site under the big bore section.

The original Cat SX shocks were never that bad as Grant and Simon did well with the car last year. Mike Williams helped me with my original Cat SX shocks at EPR in March and it is much better.
Old 24-03-2010

I don't have the xx4 anymore but I do run losi shocks on my x6, they actually allow lighter oils and springs (more is less if u will) compared to smaller shocks which need heavier oiils and stiffer springs to compensate for their lack of size.
Old 24-03-2010
Mad Member

i see it as if you have a one of each size of shock, and they both have the same oil and spring rate and also have the same surface area of holes in them, the one with the larger diameter piston will automatically give more inital pack once it is asked to work thus making it better for landing of jump, but on the flat(ish) bumpy stuff it would be worst for being to hard initally and make it unstable or maybe bounce?

Ie it takes greater force to move the oil through the larger diameter piston as there is more oil trying to squeeze through the same gap, thus making it a hard ride.

Mikeyscott,
I think the only reason why losi shock are in most people minds the best out there, is they allow the smooth flow of the oil due to chamfered edges v`s the square like edges of most others.

And the guys talking about temp changes!! it`s silicone oil isn`t it? so it`s viscosity shouldn`t change.the change happens to the shock body itself. and expands with heat, which then lets the oil pass on the outside of the piston giving the illusion it thinned the oil.

I like the original SX shocks i would be very happy to have them on my SV when Schumacher release it, so if anyone whats to swap new set of normal bore Schumacher Shocks for the big bores, i would.

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 24-03-2010

Send a message via AIM to PsycoChris Send a message via MSN to PsycoChris

The only thing I dont like about the old schuii schocks are the oil gets dirty fast. They are like AE shocks. Dialed when you get them right, but have to Up keep on them more. I like the New Kyosho Shocks. They are dialed. And dont need to be rebuilt for a whole month. Schuii shocks every 3-4 Races.
PLus they dont give alot of Down travel for the macher. It is very low to the ground. I htink these will be a big advantage for us.

Team Schumacher USA // Speed Passions // Core Rc
Long Island Raceway and Hobby // DarkSide Designs
Old 24-03-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
And the guys talking about temp changes!! it`s silicone oil isn`t it? so it`s viscosity shouldn`t change.the change happens to the shock body itself. and expands with heat, which then lets the oil pass on the outside of the piston giving the illusion it thinned the oil.
There is nothing in this world (or dare I say universe) that does not alter with temperature. Silicone oil gets "thinner" when hot and "thicker" when cold - fact. The reason we use silicon oil is because it does it less than other oils (is affected less). Whatever manufacturers write on the label is called marketing

G
Old 24-03-2010
Mad Member

I like the normal shocks as you dont need to put as much oil in them so you are saving money.. But I am a tight arse LOL.
Old 24-03-2010
Mad Member

i think the only advantage of having a larger bore shock is to get a larger surface area of piston in there.

Larger pistons with more surface area allows more holes to be equally spaced around the entire piston 5-6+ holes ??

This makes damping smoother, more consistent and more tuneable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Mulcahy View Post
I like the normal shocks as you dont need to put as much oil in them so you are saving money.. But I am a tight arse LOL.
Baby oil is NOT 25wt i keep telling you.
Old 24-03-2010

As already said by others also. With the big bores on the car there is a much larger window available for tuning them.
As With there size they are also easier to work on to achieve desired results which were beyond the capabilities of smaller bore shocks.
Load is spread across the larger piston and oil and therefore a more consistent feel is met, yet the pitch feel can stay the same.

I'm no expert but I have been hands on with Grants car and we have tested a number of things. I rounded his pistons which helped in certain conditions.