Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 13-08-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Wished I had stayed with my 22. Loved how strong the car was ! Must admit I did jump to early and should have stuck it out. Other than forward drive which people contributed to the motor position , I thought it was more to do with the slipper. I thought It had a very narrow window of adjustment. Glad they have changed this.
Old 13-08-2013

I think a lot of people wanted the 22 soo badly that it was easy to overlook that as a new platform, it was always going to take time to understand it and to develop a good set up understanding to work from.

The 22 has always been that - a 22 and it drives like a 22 - not like anything else and it is only natural that during it's early development people would focus on what it didn't do comapred to their old rides as opposed to focussing on what it could do that the others couldn't.

The motor position debate has been rumbling on forever but for all those people who want it moved, I'd just like to point out that for every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction and having a design that creates so much forward drive on power is also going to exhibit those same characteristics every time you hit the throttle - even mid way through a sweeper - is that what you really want? Really??.
I can't stop the debate but I'm more than happy that I understand the 22 platform well enough for me to set my car up and for it to be a competitive overall balance that enables me to race to the best of my ability. I'm also confident that I understand it far more now than I did 3 years ago when we first turned some practice laps in the Autumn of 2010 over here.

The 2.0 changes do make that adjustment window wider though - our testing has demonstrated this and Darren has been running part of the new geometry for longer than most people realise So if the original was a little too difficult to get right for all conditions then I'm sure that the 2.0 changes will make it more forgiving and easier.

Remember though, they're all only as fast as the driver...
Old 13-08-2013
Mad Member

The 22 had a serious impact on 2WD class when released and gets overlooked IMO...

sudden shock announcement had the definite wow,"want" factor, it was a good slimline looker, cheap, mid & rear config in same box, sexy big bore shocks, ti-nitride bits, aluminium chassis and pivot blocks, lots of tuning options included, brought shorty LiPo's and low profile servo's into mainstream class use, lwb as standard and it came at a time when nothing else was fresh released as such so was definitely the trend to jump on it!

This new updated version looks awesome, when you consider all the upgrades and improvements it's virtually a brand new car with the established TLR high quality and robust strength.

With the recently rumoured 4WD platform i think TLR's time has come, really hope it brings in some more UK top drivers to the team as this speeds up development and helps everyone with the cars to improve.

I'm in
Old 13-08-2013

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

If the most crucial updates are on the front suspension then perhaps a way to achieve most of the gains from the V2 platform is to just buy the front end upgrades? Thoughts? Losi 22 1.5?
Old 13-08-2013
Mad Member

Rear wishbones are recommended, extra inside mounting hole is a past DIY mod that is a good tuning aid,

The new battery brace is only thing i don't like look of as not a fan of mounting speedo up high but i'm pretty sure it will help brace motor guard/gearbox... since i've bent top gearbox screw in past through chassis flex on heavy landing it is a bonus and could offer pointer to future flex tuning hop ups... although velcro is ultra light and simple to use... not carbon fibre bling but not exactly offensive to eyes IMO!

rear hubs will offer different settings too.

tbh getting the full kit has far more advantages overall than just partial upgrades and works out a lot cheaper in long run when you factor in reduced wear rates on new components.

Can already rate the diff upgrades with a big thumbs up from use in 22SCT, silky smooth tungsten balls and much better wear rates on drive rings.
Old 13-08-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
Rear wishbones are recommended, extra inside mounting hole is a past DIY mod that is a good tuning aid
I think I saw on one of the U.S. forums that the team drivers was saying that it's pointless adding the new front end parts (steering knuckles, caster blocks and wishbones) without taking advantage of the new (3-hole) rear wishbones.

I've experimented greatly on ESC mounting, whether it be on the waterfall/tranny brace or flat on the chassis, until I saw someone's modification of the RM ESC mount. While it is high in the car I didn't notice it hurting the handling, and in fact it being amidship in the car I found it better balanced. So perhaps the 2.0 battery hold-down will work out similarly.

I think one of the other biggest changes will be the new shock o-rings and machined spacers. Supposedly they make not only improve the performance of the shocks but also make them leakproof.

But you are right, in the greater scheme of things buying the entire 2.0 kit will prove out more cost effective in the long run.
Old 13-08-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

I was in the process of pretty much selling up 2WD cars and then just thinking of running my existing 4WD car. However I'm sat here thinking maybe give the updated TLR22 2.0 a go and see how I feel.

Reality is I think I only truely enjoy 4WD these days, so equally may leave the TLR22 2.0 until (if) a 4WD arrives.

I never tried a TLR22 and sort of wish I had as they were very good value for money. I suppose too many comments from people saying it's bad etc. As Andy C correctly points out 1) Time to adapt 2) The car is only as good as the driver (which is my downfall). Which is why I think value for money is more important these days for me. I've contacted a shop and they're going to be pricing it at £249.99. Some may argue that it's increased in price too much. Personally I don't know what the pricing of the upgrade parts are, but I'm sure if you got a MK1 22 at the original price and added these parts it'd be more. Some of the current cars in both 2 & 4WD markets are an eye watering amount.

Two cars that I enjoyed over the recent years, Cougar SV and Kyosho RudeBits DB1. Others have just left me thinking, what am I doing this for. Another point from Andy, I think the purchase of these for me and indeed many others will be for the long term. I've been running Kyosho now for circa 2 years before anyone jumps at me.

TBH I'm on the verge of getting my Losi XXCR Kinwald which I ran at the F345s at Coventry running again until the dust has settled, but either way the TLR brand has made me sit up and think.. Currently I've lost what racing is about and in reality not fussed these days.
Old 13-08-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
I was in the process of pretty much selling up 2WD cars and then just thinking of running my existing 4WD car. However I'm sat here thinking maybe give the updated TLR22 2.0 a go and see how I feel.

Reality is I think I only truely enjoy 4WD these days, so equally may leave the TLR22 2.0 until (if) a 4WD arrives.

I never tried a TLR22 and sort of wish I had as they were very good value for money. I suppose too many comments from people saying it's bad etc. As Andy C correctly points out 1) Time to adapt 2) The car is only as good as the driver (which is my downfall). Which is why I think value for money is more important these days for me. I've contacted a shop and they're going to be pricing it at £249.99. Some may argue that it's increased in price too much. Personally I don't know what the pricing of the upgrade parts are, but I'm sure if you got a MK1 22 at the original price and added these parts it'd be more. Some of the current cars in both 2 & 4WD markets are an eye watering amount.

Two cars that I enjoyed over the recent years, Cougar SV and Kyosho RudeBits DB1. Others have just left me thinking, what am I doing this for. Another point from Andy, I think the purchase of these for me and indeed many others will be for the long term. I've been running Kyosho now for circa 2 years before anyone jumps at me.

TBH I'm on the verge of getting my Losi XXCR Kinwald which I ran at the F345s at Coventry running again until the dust has settled, but either way the TLR brand has made me sit up and think.. Currently I've lost what racing is about and in reality not fussed these days.
I would scratch the itch matey and give it a go if you are tempted.

The extra new upgrades still make this a top spec car for price

I've worked on other brands helping others at tracks and in a mates model shop and component quality wise there is a noticable difference, they are so strong and durable in comparison too, parts are reasonable price wise also.

with this you don't need alloy pin braces, to upgrade diff/thrust balls or ti-nitride pins/shafts, buy extra pistons etc out of the box which suddenly bumps up price of others considerably, you'll have a rear motor car to run if wanted too.

22 in rear motor on a wet/damp grass track is a lot of fun!
Old 13-08-2013
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg keep-calm-TLR 22.jpg (60.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 13-08-2013

That's awesome
Old 13-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
I would scratch the itch matey and give it a go if you are tempted.

The extra new upgrades still make this a top spec car for price

I've worked on other brands helping others at tracks and in a mates model shop and component quality wise there is a noticable difference, they are so strong and durable in comparison too, parts are reasonable price wise also.

with this you don't need alloy pin braces, to upgrade diff/thrust balls or ti-nitride pins/shafts, buy extra pistons etc out of the box which suddenly bumps up price of others considerably, you'll have a rear motor car to run if wanted too.

22 in rear motor on a wet/damp grass track is a lot of fun!
V true

Rear motor, got my XXCR kinwald for that with a TP 7.5 in it!
Old 13-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post

There's no way I could promise you that the 22 2.0 will be the answer to your prayers - nor would I try. I think you have some other questions that you need to find answers to before you commit to anything further.
That said, I like driving my 22 - it's responsive and feels alive. I can change a washer and feel the difference. It's not numb and probably not the easiest car to drive but I find it very rewarding every time I put it on the track and it enables me to feel through the Tx how it is reacting to the track - every corner, every bump etc. I've enjoyed the challenge of finding a good setup and I enjoy trying different things and understanding what they do.

I've long since given up racing to win - that doesn't mean to say that I don't try or I don't want to win but I still enjoy the sheer phenomenon of driving a toy car around a circuit connected only through the miracle of radio waves. Challenging my understanding and seeing if I can record MY perfect lap. It still hurts when I lose but win, lose or draw, the feeling I get from my 22 always puts a smile on my face.
Old 13-08-2013

All very valid point. I'm in no rush as won't be racing for a while. F2s at TORCH, no racing as hosting etc.

Add work and other factors
Old 15-08-2013
Mad Member

Any idea when ?
Old 15-08-2013

They're expected to be here mid/late September. Probably 4-5 weeks from now.
Old 15-08-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
They're expected to be here mid/late September. Probably 4-5 weeks from now.
Cant wait

are the 4wd's on the same boat
Old 20-08-2013

Default LOSI

I am new to the Losi brand and must say I was very impressed by the Horizon (US) video on YouTube intro for the 2.0.
where is the best place to get a car in the uk and spares back up?
regards

Carb
Old 20-08-2013

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

Usually order my Losi stuff from modelsport, wheelspinmodels and ebay. Depending what is cheaper.
Old 20-08-2013
Mad Member

DMS Racing as always will have full complement of spares and parts etc
Old 30-08-2013

I have just ordered all the 2.0 up grade parts from axex models, as I have most of the alloy parts on the car already it was only £35 to get all the geometry bits. Just got to wait for the order to arrive from the states now.