Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 15-09-2009

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
The worry is that 1/10th offroad ends up accepting that having to fork out £450 for a chassis is acceptable and "the only key to success".
Its all well and good to say that LiPo's and brushless have reduced costs, but the idea is to keep those savings, not have to spend that saving as extra to afford your chassis lol
You could always end up spending a similar amount on a smaller chassis for racing . Only joking.

The price of chassis has gone up much slower than electronics used to power them in the last 10 years...
£250 for the latest Nosram/LRP Speedo.. I don't hear people complaining about that... People just buy it 'cos it's the latest!!!

It's down to choice - Luckily it's a free choice so I guess people will buy it or not.

The people who don't buy it will only complain when they get beat by one anyway........

Powered by OptiPower

Do, or do not, there is no try!
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hmm..Durango micro. Now there is a thought

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 15-09-2009

Honestly, any car can look ace in the right hands but I think the B44 is crap. I have got a B4 and I keep it since I want to convert it into a X-6. I have to shims it after a few runs because the plastic wares out all over the car. The rear hubs got some more just about now. I regret I didn't keep my Rb5. Not those issues with that car but no mid motor conversion yet.

I doubt we have to see this with the Durango. Japanese and European cars have a higher quality standard than American ones. When Durango decides to release a 2wd, I am going to be the first in line!

I drive Skoda but want a Beemer more than anything. Nothing wrong with Skoda, but it isn't a BMW.
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What are people DEX's weighing in at ready to race?

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilD View Post
A new B44 can be bought for around £210 and this chassis is arguably the most successful one around for the last couple of years, so do we need to spend big?
But that's more down to the drivers, Neil Cragg or Lee Martin would still win if they used my Hotshot

My experience of the B44 was terrible, worse car I've ever raced, looks like they got blind mice to make the moulds for the parts, then made them from melted cheese as well, there is a reason its only £210
Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
What are people DEX's weighing in at ready to race?
I think mine was around 1670gs, LRP Sphere, X12, Savox servo, micro spektrum, Vampire LiPos & with the brass weight set, but without a PT
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
How much did you pay for the TRF511 Dave? I honestly can't remember how much I paid for mine, but when you add gold shocks, proper ball studs (the silver ones are CRAP), body, wheels, etc etc - without even adding the alloy hubs that the team drivers use you're probably looking a similar price to the DEX410? Or at least not far off. Fusion sell the 511 for 460 on it's own - add the bits you need/want and you're looking at 500-550 for the TRF511.
Shop around and you can get it cheaper - but it still doesn't come with the bits you need / want (little things, like a bodyshell, haha)
Jimmy, I did say I wasn't calling it overpriced, and it was only cos I have a ruckload of Tamiya spares already that I haven't changed, but for what it's worth:

TRF511 £225
body/wing £22
wheels £10
alloy front/rear hubs £25
shipping £40
customs @ £80 including handling fee

total: £402!!

Add your extra's: springs £10, shock bodies £20, ballstuds £10 (I have popped 2 ballcups ALL YEAR so don't accept these have to change!), that's another £40. BUT if you play that game add say £15 for springs (being generous there as if you get the actual springs set it's way more!) and £35 for brass weights to the Durango (which the team use?) and you have:

Tamiya £440
Durango £490?

So not a huge difference I agree, and the Tamiya is still missing roll bars/toe adjust blocks! However the Tamiya is pretty expensive compared to most too, and bluntly you only need about £400 ish of the Tamiya stuff, the rest is bling!! Haven't compared spares, the Durango seems cheap on all but shock towers though so as long as they don't break great!

Anyway, back to my original point, if I didn't have all my Tamiya kit I'd still have got the Durango, I am not saying it's overpriced!! It is expensive though, with the money yes but sti too much for me now!

Hope noone minds the long Tamiya post, but hopefully it helps illustrate the Durango boys points anyway that it's not much more!!
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

.oO(thinks that there some serious over exageration going on in this thread!)

The DEX is a beautiful looking car, make no mistake, but to say that the B44 is terrible and crap?

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
But that's more down to the drivers, Neil Cragg or Lee Martin would still win if they used my Hotshot

My experience of the B44 was terrible, worse car I've ever raced, looks like they got blind mice to make the moulds for the parts, then made them from melted cheese as well, there is a reason its only £210
Neil and Lee could both of stayed with their previous teams. The point, however, i was making is simply you don't need to spend £400+ on a car to win. You can't argue with the B44's results both Nationally and Worldwide and if the car is so "crap" why does it keep winning? From my point of view the car quality is fine, not the best, but good enough and like Bradders said on Saturday night "it's a good car straight out of the box".
Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
.oO(thinks that there some serious over exageration going on in this thread!)

The DEX is a beautiful looking car, make no mistake, but to say that the B44 is terrible and crap?
Like I said, just my experience of it, not the worse car I ever owned though, that was a Cat3000, so bad it never got to race!
Old 15-09-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
I am not saying it's overpriced!!
Dave mate, I'm not only on your side, but have my own TRF511. I was complementing your point, not arguing with you. now breath!

I was merely pointing out the Tamiya 511 as an example - you got a bargain, I can't find one close to the price you paid, and mine was certainly a lot more expensive. I wonder how much your first 511 was? More?
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Try buying the tamiya trf511 over here though, and beat the price of the durango.....you'll never do it. it has to be bought abroad for it to be competetively priced.
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Dave mate, I'm not only on your side, but have my own TRF511. I was complementing your point, not arguing with you. now breath!

I was merely pointing out the Tamiya 511 as an example - you got a bargain, I can't find one close to the price you paid, and mine was certainly a lot more expensive. I wonder how much your first 511 was? More?
That's a good point actually, I think it was a good £60/£70 more when it first came out!!
Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

the car is advertised on the durango web site for £389?
Old 15-09-2009

I got both cars now and the Tamiya TRF511 was a lot cheaper than the DEX. Imported mine from HK. An azarashi shell from Japan and some wheels and tires. Still cheaper. But I couldn't resist. My DEX410 arrives this Thursday
Old 15-09-2009
Administrator

I believe that's pre-tax, for those fortunate souls outside the EU? or I could be wrong.
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy View Post
Try buying the tamiya trf511 over here though, and beat the price of the durango.....you'll never do it. it has to be bought abroad for it to be competetively priced.
I still think it's a fair comparison, I included customs, and mine was ordered on a Friday and delivered Tuesday!!
Old 15-09-2009

Quote:
I believe that's pre-tax, for those fortunate souls outside the EU? or I could be wrong.
Its in EU and I had to pay taxes still. Never the less. Both of these cars are value for money. The Tamiya car is an extremely well balanced car and it can take a serious beating as well. Very durable. Had a smile on my face building it but I belive I will have an even bigger smile this Thursday when my 410 arrives!

Last edited by Alex H; 15-09-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: not clear enough
Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

Uk shops £450ish for 511! Choice is the keyword, not price. You get which one YOU want. Its always gonna be value to you otherwise you wouldn't bother. I cant wait for my 410 to arrive. My choice.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 15-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
Uk shops £450ish for 511! Choice is the keyword, not price. You get which one YOU want. Its always gonna be value to you otherwise you wouldn't bother. I cant wait for my 410 to arrive. My choice.
once i'm back from canada (6th october) my order will be going in.

it'll be a pain selling off my stick pack lipos but this car looks absolutely amazing. I was pricing up a 511, but as others have already pointed out... where's the sense in buying an expensive kit which needs more expensive hop ups, when you can have a DEX for a similar price that's ready out of the box?

i personally cannot wait to say toodles to ball diffs