Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 06-06-2010

Default A beginners guide

Hey there ive got a 1/10 on road and off road car, so thats the easy bit done but presumeably the most expnsive. im now looking for a beginners guide to radio controlled cars, does any one know of one that i can read online or am i better to just fire a list of questions away and hope someone is feeling kind that day to answer them.

s
Old 06-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
Hey there ive got a 1/10 on road and off road car, so thats the easy bit done but presumeably the most expnsive. im now looking for a beginners guide to radio controlled cars, does any one know of one that i can read online or am i better to just fire a list of questions away and hope someone is feeling kind that day to answer them.

s
Hi Smeagol, welcome to the sport. Although there are beginers guides out there, the best and most useful advice you will get will come from other racers.

This is a sport where people will go out their way to offer advice and certainly a lot of good advice is given on this website.

When firing questions off, try and do so in the appropriate sub-forum; eg if you want some advice on radios/motors/batteries there is an "electrics" section and likewise if its about your car then you can scroll down to the manufacturer of your car(s).

There is also a "for sale" and "wanted" section which might be useful. I've bough various items second hand hand have been pleased with the price and goods everytime.

Another good source of help is your local club - members will take the time to speak to you and offer good advice.

Hope this is helpful and that you enjoy the sport as much as we do

Chris
Old 06-06-2010

hi,

as said above people will answer your questions, but they may already be answered.

try the search function there is on the forum, quite helpful because you can find out other things you may not of known too.

but if not just fire away, sure someone will answer

www.aranwilcox.com
Old 06-06-2010

Have a look here (link) and grab a copy of the document called RC Handbook. It was redacted some times back by Scott Guyatt and I made some update.

HTH
Old 06-06-2010
Mad Member

As I posted in the WBMCC section

'To be honest, the best set up tip I can give is having 4 wheels on the car, driving with 3 can be a challenge on certain corners. When you have 4 wheels then its best to have 4 shocks attached, as I proved in my final on sunday, from 33-35 sec laps down to a 44 and 51'

Old 06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
As I posted in the WBMCC section

'To be honest, the best set up tip I can give is having 4 wheels on the car, driving with 3 can be a challenge on certain corners. When you have 4 wheels then its best to have 4 shocks attached, as I proved in my final on sunday, from 33-35 sec laps down to a 44 and 51'

it is best to have 4 wheels attached if possible

www.aranwilcox.com
Old 06-06-2010

ah yeah i see, ah i was just having problems understanding the lingo regarding crystals and transmitter and reciever
Old 06-06-2010

well every crystal has a certain frequency and they have to match to establish the link between the car and controller, otherwise it wont work.

so for example, a yellow crystal in the transmitter will have to have a yellow crystal in the receiver.

also if some else is running the same crystal it may interfere with your cars controls, but you can get a 2.4ghz radio set that have will search for a unique code so no interference
Old 06-06-2010
Mad Member

As mentioned above, find a local club. Go to www.brca.org and find a club that is close to you, they will help you. Just stay away from Touring Cars as that path leads to the dark side...
Old 06-06-2010

ive already got an on road and off road car so now im very confused the dark side
Old 07-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

dont worry about the dark side ! ! he is just pulling your leg.
you will find majority of Oople users are Off-road fanatics and will poke fun at on-road racing...

as said above "find a club" lots of advice available especially if you bring cake (hey Chris)

Enjoy

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 07-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
well every crystal has a certain frequency and they have to match to establish the link between the car and controller, otherwise it wont work.

so for example, a yellow crystal in the transmitter will have to have a yellow crystal in the receiver.

also if some else is running the same crystal it may interfere with your cars controls, but you can get a 2.4ghz radio set that have will search for a unique code so no interference
2.4 GHz radio systems have really come down in price, they start at £55 so are only £15 more than 27/40MHz systems. As Aran already said, you don't need to bother with crystals and less chance of inteference.
Here are some good ones:
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=34641
http://www.jespares.com/electric-mod...ategory_id=504
http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/LRP87010.html
Old 07-06-2010
Mad Member

Shameless plug:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Radio-Contro...5927997&sr=1-2
Old 07-06-2010

I was just about to say that Matt's Hays manual is the best intro I have seen. I picked it up for a few friends that were just getting into the sport. Even available in Canada and the USA through amazon.
Old 07-06-2010

ah cheers lads i think im going to go for the manual and do some bed time reading
Old 07-06-2010
BANNED

The book is good, but to be honest I'd not bother asking questions on any stupid iternet forums - all you will get it 47 million different answers.

Read the book yeah, but just go racing at your local club - the only way learn stuff really is be being 'on the job'.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.