Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 29-03-2011

Default SCX-E (SEXY) Short course

SpeedyDad asked me to post these pics that I took of Alex's short course from the Cactus Classic.
Chris Krieg hand made this two deck chassis from carbon fiber braced with some aluminum standoffs. The chassis is super detailed and has a very high quality finish as with all of Chris Krieg's creations.

I have affectionately nicknamed it the SCX-E (SEXY)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1169054...eat=directlink
Stickit1 stickit1racing.com
Old 29-03-2011

I created this truck as a "what if" vehicle to see if I could make it. Hand making chassis is fun but it takes time and I wanted to see if I could make something that could be produced on a larger scale without making a mold. I now have two of them. What you see is the second truck. Alexdrives this one. I'll be running the first one for further testing. The only difference is the way the battery is oriented.

SC racing is my passion. I wanted to take it to the next level.

I have been asked how long it is. It looks really long but is the same wheelbase as the SCX-60.

What do you guys think? Is there interest in a truck like this?

X-Factory SCX-60 - Keep On Truckin'
Old 29-03-2011

Links not working guys ...
Old 29-03-2011

Try this one

https://picasaweb.google.com/1169054...at=directlink#

Old 29-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
I created this truck as a "what if" vehicle to see if I could make it. Hand making chassis is fun but it takes time and I wanted to see if I could make something that could be produced on a larger scale without making a mold. I now have two of them. What you see is the second truck. Alexdrives this one. I'll be running the first one for further testing. The only difference is the way the battery is oriented.

SC racing is my passion. I wanted to take it to the next level.

I have been asked how long it is. It looks really long but is the same wheelbase as the SCX-60.

What do you guys think? Is there interest in a truck like this?
Short Course is still finding it's feet in the UK - one thing that's happening is nitro clubs (driven by the harsh economic situation) are opening their doors to electric, and the 2nd best electric class to run on a nitro track after 1/8th electric is SCT. Therefore, there's a potential market if it booms.

In my opinion (I'm only at this sport a few years, so my knowledge is all of recent developments), I suppose it's all down to cost, and whether it would be a conversion (I'm presuming using SC10/T4 parts?) or a kit. I'm not sure it could cost much more than the X6 equivalents, if that - there are 4wd kits out there for that sort of money.

It might be worth considering a cheaper material than carbon fibre for us plebs to more affordably smash up on the weekend!

For conversions, I think the stadium truck-to-SCT ones are the best, as there are a lot of T4s and E Firestorms out there gathering dust, or fetching a pittance on eBay.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 29-03-2011

If you look, XFactory already has an SC conversion and it is selling pretty well at its price. This is the next evolution of that.

Old 29-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
If you look, XFactory already has an SC conversion and it is selling pretty well at its price. This is the next evolution of that.
Aye, slightly forgot that when I posted. Nearly had a heart attack when I checked the price on DMS - hardly surprising as you're cutting and shutting every chassis by hand.

I've no idea how popular the SCW-60 is in the UK, DMS could maybe say more on that. To the most competitive racers, they'll go for the SCX-E because I'm sure it's performance is great. I can only speak for the regular, mediocre club racer - perhaps not your target market.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 29-03-2011

Every racer is my target racer. My racing skills are stock level at best. I build trucks I can drive. As far as the price goes, yes, the SCX-60 is expensive but I put a lot of work in to it and we never expected to sell many at that rate. We figured maybe a dozen sales. We've sold 65 and have orders for more on the books. I'm sure this truck, if produced, will be expensive to some as well, but it will be a pretty good truck.

The nice thing about this truck is that not being a molded tub, there is no mold to have to pay for and consider in the cost of the vehicle. The chassis and many of the parts can be made in-house which keeps the cost down. Right now, the only molded part on the new truck is the nose and it is an existing piece.

Old 29-03-2011
oOple Advertiser

Looks very nice

Sales for the SCX60 here in the UK have been steady, but we never in our wildest dreams expected to sell many due to two things - price and Short Course popualrity over here.

I ran an SCX60 at the the Maritime 2 day World Cup meeting last month and it was great fun, handled "really" well on kit tyres and ended up taking TQ and the win in a class I have never raced before.

Yes the SCX60 is very expensive, we always knew that, but sales and interest has surprised us all over here, showing people will pay for somthing if they really want it.

For those who dont want the expense of an all singing and dancing "race truck" we also sell the Exotek SCXT conversion for the Losi XXXT stadium trucks with an RRP of just over £50 here in the uk too, so we have the best of both worlds, a out and out racer and a cheapo conversion for the basher
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 07-04-2011

More eye candy for you.

This is test chassis 1. It was Alex's original chassis until we built the newer slimmer version he runs now. Differences between this one and the newer one is the battery orientation. I just set this truck up for myself.

Old 07-04-2011
Mad Member

We are a long way from making the S.D.C.F. version.

In the meantime, however, the next four guys on the SC list are about to be shipped. Dad says the next batch of "regular" chassies should arrive here today or tomorrow. There are more chassies than that, and those Kits will go to dealers.

Our Dealer Family is in the same queue as the retail Family. Just as there are a couple of retail guys who will not get shipped because there are dealers ahead of them, there are several dealers who will not be shipped because of retail Family ahead of them.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 30-07-2011

So its been a while since we updated this thread. The SCX-60CF is being manufactured. We are finalizing the design and the first proto chassis and parts will be cut next week. Once we know everything fits, X Factory will move forward with production. Manual has to be written and all the other little stuff done. Maybe within the month.

Old 30-07-2011

Default s.c

good to know, keep us posted your truck is looking awesome !
Old 30-07-2011

I see an X7 front here

Old 31-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottuna View Post
I see an X7 front here

I'm afraid not. that is an X6 in the top pic and something else in the bottom..not quite sur what but its not an X7.. sorry.
Old 31-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancoog View Post
I'm afraid not. that is an X6 in the top pic and something else in the bottom..not quite sur what but its not an X7.. sorry.
It's my X7. I mean the aluminum parts that connects the front and top deck.
Old 31-07-2011
Mad Member

Coog, a while ago Tuna produced a vehicle shown elsewhere on oOple which Tuna calls an X7. I don't know if Tuna is still campaigning it. It appeared to be very well made -- Tuna is a craftsman.

To be certain there is no confusion, regardless of what he calls it, Tuna's car is not an X Factory X - 7. We are now testing what we think is a very close to production prototype of the X Factory X - 7.

Speedy Dad, with permission and co-operation from X Factory, has made a number of cars for himself and his son Alex. They are both part of the X - Team, and their R & D has been valuable. Everyone knows that we have engaged Dad to produce the extended chassis for the SCX - 60, and that we are currently using Dad's design to make the SCX - 60CF.

I'm not sure what is in the pix above; to me it appears to be one of Dad's creations. Perhaps the pix are the Tuna car.

I can tell you this: The SCX - 60CF shares most of its parts with the X - 60, although its chassis and many parts are new. The X Factory X - 7 will share only a few parts with the current X - 6 Squared. I can't see anything in the pix here that will be on the X - 7.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 31-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
Coog, a while ago Tuna produced a vehicle shown elsewhere on oOple which Tuna calls an X7. I don't know if Tuna is still campaigning it. It appeared to be very well made -- Tuna is a craftsman.

To be certain there is no confusion, regardless of what he calls it, Tuna's car is not an X Factory X - 7. We are now testing what we think is a very close to production prototype of the X Factory X - 7.
I'm not racing it anymore. It had a short but intence life
Thanks for the warm words Chazz! I was really pleased with the build, and how it looked. But i never got a working setup, chassis to stiff, and mid engine combination makes it a difficult car i guess.
I heard it was a exact copy of it at the Worlds

And for the name, i had no idea your 4wd would be called X-7
Old 01-08-2011

No real mystery here. The top pic is simply Alex's proto SCX-60CF. That was taken at the Cactus Classic. You can tell by how long it is. It is definitely not an X-6.

If anyone over here wants to see it, it will be at the US ROAR Nats in a couple weeks. Stop by and we'll show you all you want to see.

Old 11-11-2011

For those on Facebook, check out the X Factory page. The first pic of most of the first production SCX-60CF is posted.