Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-02-2011

Default Lipo battery pack for Sanwa Gemini

Anyone recommend a decent lipo pack for a Gemini 2, preferably UK based
Old 03-03-2013

+1 on this

Old 03-03-2013

Here's what I'm using and can't tell you how awesome it is!

1C rating so months between charges, less than a tenner and in stock in the UK. What more could you ask for?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Important Information - Read this bit >

The lipo comes wired up for Futaba/JR, so you need to swap the wires in the plug to the configuration shown in my pic.

Of course, swap the leads one at a time to avoid touching the +ve and -ve together as THIS WOULD BE A BAD IDEA WITH SMOKE AND LIGHT EFFECTS!

Other than that it's plain sailing. My Gemini II is currently showing 12.2v on a full charge. Drops off in use to around 11.5ish but then just sits there forever...

Martyn
Old 09-04-2013

Hi Martyn,

I've just bought one of these batteries for my Gemini 2 on your recommendation however the battery pack I'm taking out has the red wire on the middle pin and black wire at the top as per how the lipo originally comes. I'm therefore scared to swap the wires over or plug it in

Help!
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzieboy View Post
Hi Martyn,

I've just bought one of these batteries for my Gemini 2 on your recommendation however the battery pack I'm taking out has the red wire on the middle pin and black wire at the top as per how the lipo originally comes. I'm therefore scared to swap the wires over or plug it in

Help!
Red to red, black to black - can't be simpler. Seriously.

Here's another option, quite a good deal (edit - this is a flat pack, not a square pack so seems it wouldn't fit the Gemini):

http://cs-shop.de/NOSRAM-LiPo-Sender...1-111V-3600mAh

I did a write-up about the installation in my Sanwa/AirTronics here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=69461
Old 09-04-2013

I checked my mates handset as his has the original Sanwa NiCad and his is same as mine red wire, middle pin and black wire top pin so I decided to try connecting the battery WITHOUT swapping the wires over as per Martyn's picture and..... The plug didn't fit. So I swapped the plug for the Sanwa one but kept the wire opposite to Martyn's picture and.... It worked!

It may be simply red to red black to black but I was just questioning information that someone had posted. I am an electrically trained engineer so think I know what I'm doing but it can be dangerous to post comments like "order this battery, swap the wires over and hey presto" because it may not necessarily be right for every handset
Old 09-04-2013
Mad Member

Put a meter on the existing & new, In will check my Gemini 2 later and edit this post, I have an idea the older sanwa (older exzes etc) were different.............

Edit, see you have sorted this, saw the thread before I started the red....... our Sanwa Gemini 2 has red center, black top, as there are only two pins on the transmitter.........
Old 09-04-2013

I think it's a little harsh to call my advice "dangerous".

I bought a lipo pack to use in an Etronix Pulse, I later bought a second hand Gemini II and looking at it I realised that if I carefully swapped the lipo leads to match the +ve and -ve on the Sanwa battery holder it might work.

Which it did. So I posted my experience to help the OP.

This is how mine came. Lipo plug is at top and original battery plug below (I marked the +ve and -ve on the handset for reference)

I am no electrical engineer, I am a civil engineer but I simply used djmcnz's logic that red replaces red and black replaces black. If Sanwa changed terminals some way through the handset's life it's news to me and it's certainly not unreasonable for me to assume that my Gemini II is the same as another Gemini II...

However, I would hope that most everyone on this RC racing site understands basic electrics and wiring colours, electrically trained or not, and if what they found didn't match the advice, could cope with the logic needed to adapt it to their situation.
Old 09-04-2013
oOple Advertiser

Anyone reading this who has the new Gemini x, the lipo needs to be 2s, 7.4 volts.

Inside the x the positive and negative are marked next to where the plug fits in.

I use an LRP receiver pack in mine, fits like a glove and has lasted 3 weeks so far without a recharge.

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynhead View Post
I think it's a little harsh to call my advice "dangerous".

I bought a lipo pack to use in an Etronix Pulse, I later bought a second hand Gemini II and looking at it I realised that if I carefully swapped the lipo leads to match the +ve and -ve on the Sanwa battery holder it might work.

Which it did. So I posted my experience to help the OP.

This is how mine came. Lipo plug is at top and original battery plug below (I marked the +ve and -ve on the handset for reference)

I am no electrical engineer, I am a civil engineer but I simply used djmcnz's logic that red replaces red and black replaces black. If Sanwa changed terminals some way through the handset's life it's news to me and it's certainly not unreasonable for me to assume that my Gemini II is the same as another Gemini II...

However, I would hope that most everyone on this RC racing site understands basic electrics and wiring colours, electrically trained or not, and if what they found didn't match the advice, could cope with the logic needed to adapt it to their situation.
Sorry I was probably getting a bit frustrated by other comments
Anyhow yes mine is different to yours from the pic you have just posted in that from top to bottom yours is blank, black, red whereas mine is black, red, blank. This clearly puts the black wire in the middle on yours hence you had to swap the wires around whereas mine has the red wire in the middle which is how the battery came. As I said my mates is the same as mine so it's perhaps good to know this and make people aware of it.

Lets all get along
Cheers
Darren
Old 10-04-2013

Sure. I'm all for getting along

I just took umbrage at the use of the word dangerous, that's all. Normally only applies to me when I'm on track!

Now you've got the battery working, I'm sure you won't regret getting it.

Martyn