Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Old 21-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I havent heard of them, have they made any worlds A's? If not then maybe Schumacher should try and get someone like Neil Cragg, now he is a good driver. Im not saying that the guys you mentioned are good, but I kindof doubt theyd make an impact at the worlds.
What a ****ish thing to say. If You have not heard off them how can you say that they won't be able to make a impact at the world.
Old 21-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
Olivier, how about the question I posed: Shaft-drive cars give a sideways torque effect, which isn't ideal. Why not use a bevelled spur & pinion gear and mount it longitudinally? And in addition make the gearboxes assymetrical like on the eight? (= motor in dead center)

What's your opinion?

I guess you would have to change both the spur AND pinion when changing ratio to get a good gear mesh. But you normally don't change that.
The sideways torque effect seems significant on 1/10 Touring Cars but on 1/10 Offroad Cars I don't think it's so much significant moreover as you said with brushless motors. Otherwise I can't explain why for so many years 1/8 Gas Offroad are still shaft-drive cars

It's just my point of view, I'm not claiming to have all the truth in hands
Old 21-03-2008
Lee-Mag

They may not be a worlds A finalist but how many teams with schueys budget have a driver capable of such things, if you took AE and Losi drivers out of the A final at the worlds who would be left??

Si moss could make the A at the euros and i doubt matt would be too far off.

And welshy if you haven`t heard of them i think you should read up before you spout sh!te. Si moss actually won a national A final last summer

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 21-03-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
I havent heard of them, have they made any worlds A's? If not then maybe Schumacher should try and get someone like Neil Cragg, now he is a good driver. Im not saying that the guys you mentioned are good, but I kindof doubt theyd make an impact at the worlds.

simon moss he is a top driver challenging for the uk national championship aginst the likes of neil cragg lee martin and darren bloomfield. the perfect person to put the new car though its paces. Dont start knocking people until you know who they are.

rant over.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 21-03-2008

And i think i'm right in saying Matt did very well in 12ths last year.
Old 21-03-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliv996 View Post
The sideways torque effect seems significant on 1/10 Touring Cars but on 1/10 Offroad Cars I don't think it's so much significant moreover as you said with brushless motors. Otherwise I can't explain why for so many years 1/8 Gas Offroad are still shaft-drive cars

It's just my point of view, I'm not claiming to have all the truth in hands
For 1:8 OR I think it's just because belts and gears wouldn't last with rock, sand etc. If shaft-drive were an advantage we would have used it in 1:8 TR, and nobody does (SG tried many, many years ago and went bankrupt ). I think you would add more weight, and you get poorer acceleration. (And a less free rolling tranny?) But in OR you don't need all that effect, so it doesn't matter. I don't know if you guys are aware that a 1:8 TR goes 0-100 km/h in 1,4 secs? On-road is not THAT much of a walk in the park!

Also 1:8 OR cars have even bigger wheels, and the flywheel is alu. Still, you have the clutch and crankshaft of course, but I think it will all be neutralized by the wheels.

I did one 1:8 OR race last year, and I didn't notice any sideways torque effect. Haven't tried a 1:10 OR with shaft-drive yet. I think Cris Doughty mentioned that he could feel a slight sideways torque effect with a shaft-driven 1:10 OR though, and if so you can correct it by steering and giving throttle or braking in the air.

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 21-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiejuk View Post
Wayne rooney isn't a good looking guy, but he is a very good footballer.
We should call the SX the wayne Rooney, just don't give it to your granny
Old 22-03-2008

Send a message via Skype™ to jas_racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
how to make friends and influence people lol.

Sometimes good driver can drive but can't design a car though....
Both Simon Moss and Matt White are world-class drivers imho and I have no doubt they will do Schumacher and their new car proud in terms of development, race results and representation of the brand
Old 22-03-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Tut, Tut, Tut, Welshy, Welshy, open mouth, insert foot Like others have already said, just cos you ain't heard of them, doesn't mean they're not good. Up till last year I'd never heard of the Japansese kid who won the 2wd Worlds, so he must've been crap before then hay?!

I've not meet Simom, but to win a UK National takes some doing. Matt White I do know from a few years back before I'd given up racing for a while, he was always fast, and very hard for me to run with, let alone beat, but when you came to Lawford last year Welshy, I had no problems at all with you and I'm probably not a quick now as I was when I last raced Matt

I even quite like the idea, that if I get a Cat, that someone I know has had a hand in making it
Old 22-03-2008
Mad Member

I reckon they read my mind.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=112
Old 22-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_racing View Post
Both Simon Moss and Matt White are world-class drivers imho and I have no doubt they will do Schumacher and their new car proud in terms of development, race results and representation of the brand
in no way was it a question on the guys ability, as I know they are top drivers, I was merely stating that, that a top driver might not be able to design the car, but be good at making a car work.
Old 22-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
What a ****ish thing to say. If You have not heard off them how can you say that they won't be able to make a impact at the world.
Well we have all heard about the consistent drivers such as Pavidi, Kinwald, Masami, and even Cragg and Drescher.

But these two guys who I have never heard of before but lets hope they can do some justice for this car.

But these guys may have won a national here and there, just like Jon Tucker way back in the 90s but when he went to the Worlds he made the D finals so really unless they can make the A then they are not up there in same league as the top drivers. However I would like them to prove me wrong. Dont forget schumacher had Masami and he won, and made an impact. Thats whats needed.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 22-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Haha, your posts just keep getting funnier Welshy
Old 22-03-2008

Send a message via MSN to Mossy

Quote:
Well we have all heard about the consistent drivers such as Pavidi, Kinwald, Masami, and even Cragg and Drescher.

But these two guys who I have never heard of before but lets hope they can do some justice for this car.

But these guys may have won a national here and there, just like Jon Tucker way back in the 90s but when he went to the Worlds he made the D finals so really unless they can make the A then they are not up there in same league as the top drivers. However I would like them to prove me wrong. Dont forget schumacher had Masami and he won, and made an impact. Thats whats needed.

Think thats a little bit of an unfair comparison to be honest. No one is doubting the talents of World A final drivers and yes they are in a separate league, but to get that to sort of standard you have to be able to commit to racing 100% and make a career out of it, which only a fortunate few get the chance to.

I dont claim to be in the same brackets as the likes of Pavidis etc, and will never be I imagine (although it would be nice). To get to these levels you gotta have the talent and the time to practice. Think Pidge is the perfect example of this as we all knew he had the talent, now he's in a position where he can show it off on the Worlds stage.

I am delighted to be back with Schumacher and leading the team in the development of the Cat SX. We have been working hard over the last 3 months to get the car to a position where it can perform at the highest level. I've lost count of the amount of days I've spent with Phil Booth testing around the country and this has been wonderfully supported by Matt who has a great knowledge when it comes to developing cars. Throughout testing the car has performed excellently and any issues people may be concerned with regarding the drivetrain are unfounded. This is an area that we have never had an issue with at all.

Thanks for the support from you guys in terms of stating what you consider myself and Matt are capable off with the car. I'm sure that we can really be challenging at meetings throughout the year.

As for Welshy40's comments in terms of if im capable to compete at the top, hopefully 2 European A Finals (3rd place with the Cat3000), 4 national wins and over 50 National A finals will stand me in good stead.

Si Moss
Old 22-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Si, i dont think it matters what you have done to welshy, he will always be a tool.

Keep up the good work

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 22-03-2008

Send a message via MSN to Mossy

True
Old 22-03-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
But these guys may have won a national here and there, just like Jon Tucker way back in the 90s but when he went to the Worlds he made the D finals so really unless they can make the A then they are not up there in same league as the top drivers.
D-Final at the worlds!!! Is that all he can do? He must be utterly crap!

This thread gets better all the time.

Back on topic

The only good point I can find about the CatSX at the moment is that it uses the same battery configuration as my X-6... It looks too fussy to work on to me but I'd love to be proven wrong
Old 22-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Personally, i dont like the look of the car, but you dont buy a car for its looks (well i dont)

I think the aero is Fugly, but i think its quick.

This car looks like it will work, it has the weight in the right place and from the pics i cant see a reason why it wont. We have the assurance of si and matt that the drive train is robust, so its looking good.

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 22-03-2008

Since we are on the subject of testing, can someone tell me if this car has been tested on anything but UK tracks?
Old 22-03-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Dont forget schumacher had Masami and he won, and made an impact. Thats whats needed.
If I remember right, Masami had nothing to do with the development of the Cat back in '87, in fact I think he turned up with the short car, then was given a Cat XL by Schumacher during qualiy, then won with that, but being Masami, he'd probably would've won with a Hotshot, or a Mini Mustang.

Also thinking back, didn't Bill Jones make that same Worlds A with a Hotshot?