Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 08-05-2008
Lee-Mag

Red face Control/No control

This thread may prove a bit controversial but i just want to get peoples opinions and pro`s and cons to either side of the debate,

So here goes, for our national series (regionals can do as they wish anyway) how would you like to see the tyre ruling go. Would you like to be able to use any tyre from BB schuey and GRP or limited to two as it is now. I understand you cant please all the people all the time and you will always have people saying "X" tyre would of been better.

I personally dont mind, i like the idea of a control tyre im all for it in fact as it does keep costs down and racing close and you dont need lots of boxes of tyres for 1 meeting.

(i dont really want to turn this into a quality/compound thread, im sure you know what i mean)

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 08-05-2008

Definitely keep control tires in my opinion.

My previous idea that I posted in another thread was:

Each distributor/manufacturer can nominate one/two tread patterns, in as many compounds as they like, but the tread pattern name (or part number) and a compound marking must be moulded into the tire wall.

I don't how hard it would be to do this, but I *think* it has been used in touring cars before. IF made a rule the companies would have 5 months notice to sort it.

Each nominated tire could then be used at any national. We would probably get 4 tires, each in two compounds (2x BB, 1x Schumacher, 1x GRP). The drivers can then use whichever ones they want.

It's not a perfect idea, but it is something.
Old 08-05-2008
Super Moderator

Two SETS of tyres ALL DAY, and an extra for the A mainers....

G
Old 08-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Im all for control tyres if they are consistant from the manufacturer....also limiting the amount that can be used will be a massive help for most racers.
Old 08-05-2008

That would be nice Graham, but we need away to successfully implement it given the time we have, any ideas?
Old 08-05-2008
Lee-Mag

I had thought of that G, didnt want to say it in the first post though.

Keeps it simple, we might even see schuey blues make a return

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 08-05-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Two SETS of tyres ALL DAY, and an extra for the A mainers....

G

i've always liked the thought of that idea, but wouldn't it be hard to police? (or at least cause more work for the officials). That aside, i'd be really up for it, cheaper cheaper cheaper!!

if there was no control tyre, i'd probably have to race less to afford all the tyres i need. plus there'd be more excuses as to why you had a crap day
Old 08-05-2008
Lee-Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerill View Post
That would be nice Graham, but we need away to successfully implement it given the time we have, any ideas?
In onroad they mark the tyres in round 1 and then mark that you have used one set on the scruitineering sheet, then when you arrive with a new set in rd 3 for instance it is marked again so it is easy to see if you have used more than 2 sets.

You will probably get people missing out rounds though to save tyres

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 08-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

The biggest problem with limiting sets during the meeting is someone has to check them every run and log how many sets someone has used, it will add to scrutineering times.
Old 08-05-2008
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

That used to be done - tyres were marked with nailvarnish across the glueing and your brca number on the wheels........
Old 08-05-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

My personal view is that "as is" works quite well. Although i'll be honest and say that i would prefer a limit on the number of sets.

You talk to people that race other classes and they can't believe that we allow unlimited tyres. So, you need one of 2 things in an ideal world (in my view), either a situation where new tyres are of no benefit (unlikely to be possible due to the very nature of cars and the power they have) or a limit - which many people are against.

So, no idea what the answer is!!!
Old 08-05-2008
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

In thoery i've always liked the idea of one type of tyre and compound for everyone..

Be plenty of grumbling about this though i'd imagine..
Old 08-05-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

On checking - it is a fair point, it does take more time. On Road has a limit. Last year it was 2 sets for single day meeting. The scrutineers marked everyones first set when they came through after rd 1. It was then the responsibility of the driver to get their 2nd set marked when ever they wanted to do.

Scrutineering is done after the round, so that does make a small difference.

This year, it is 2 dat meetings, and 4 sets of tyres - and it is the responsibility of the driver to get all of their sets marked before they widh to use them.
Old 08-05-2008
Super Moderator

Two sets was done in the past, and I quite enjoyed it, added another skill (when to use the second set - you also had to take account of weather/grip changes).

Let's be fair, if a club wants a National they should have enough people to do these jobs. If they don't let someone else hold it.

G
Old 08-05-2008

hi guys

im not a a buggy racer now but used to do rally x 3 years ago and we used to carry i think is was 10 or 12 different types of tyre and a few sets of each, which can get very expensive i did do a few meeting which had control tyres but no limit on how many sets (that doesnt benefit club racers at all)

now i do touring and i raced the ko gp last august 2 full days of racing and we were only aloud 3 sets of tyres very hard to do but you could see on the score sheets that people were trying hard to manage there tyres even the top boys would make mistakes in qualifying and just leave the track to save the tyres.

it does make it cheaper but tyres are the best set up change a driver can make bar none in my opinion, so if you have a control tyre that you cant get to work it can ruin a days racing having a choice is far better for that reason.

but all in all i would rather we saved money and had control tyres and limited sets in all classes of rc racing i quite like have to think about tyre wear and should i save them this run for the finals you get my drift

interesting thread be great if a few top driver could give us there points of view

laters Andy Bell
Old 08-05-2008

just out of intrest, whats the average amount of tyres (sets) that a non-a-finalist gets through at a national?

im thinking dry conditions here, ta
Old 08-05-2008

Some experiences made in Germany:
We are currently running control Tires in our official races.
Each Importer nominates one type of Tire per class (compound free).

At the moment tyres run are Losi, Proline, Schumacher (with minipins only on carpet and the rare grass tracks) the panther tires aren`t really used.

This has very much cut down the amount of tires used.

We had a test Year when we run limited number of tires per event but changed very soon to the system used now.

easy to scrutineer and no problems whe heats have to be repated.

Cruise.
Old 08-05-2008
Mad Member

I don't race in Britain but we have control tires here in Germany as well. I really like that fact as it makes racing that much easier and you can buy in bulk, which cuts the price down nicely on Proline and Losi tires.

The question is whether a limit is really that sensible because even if I use tires for two runs only before using new ones, the used ones are still plenty good enough for practise or even for different tracks with different grip levels.
In the end I can use 5 sets of tires for a national which will be absolutely great for club racing or practise afterwards.

Control tires Limited sets
Old 08-05-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_kitty View Post
just out of intrest, whats the average amount of tyres (sets) that a non-a-finalist gets through at a national?

im thinking dry conditions here, ta
I know you said dry conditions but....

At the first national at Kiddy I used two sets each day, and that was including practice and the A's.

I expect to use the same at Oswestry, may be a third set at a push.
Old 08-05-2008

glad to hear that i used one set all day at kiddy, wasnt too bad in 2wd but really suffered in 4wd.

so i will use 2 sets at oz, ta