Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 09-08-2010

Default Which transmitter?

Hi..We started with a KO esprit on 40fm and suffered interference(sods law it was mostly in finals!)
Moved to another KO which is converted to spectrum..Had range issues so bought new recievers and an ariel for the module and in the last 2 events its run perfect all day only to go into failsafe in both A finals!!! Gutted!
So can you guys reccomend a 2.4ghz tranny? Been looking at the KO universe on Ko 2.4ghz. Really dont want to buy the wrong thing!
Thanks Dave
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Dave, forgot to ask you yesterday whether you run a powercap in your receivers. Its basically a capacitor that plugs into a spare channel on the RX and helps eliminate voltage spikes and voltage drops.

Looks like this. Availbale here for just £6.49 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spektrum-Volta...562ef6ffb1153e
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

If money isn't a problem get yourself a Futaba 3vcs

http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php...CHF&area=Radio

or take a look at the Futaba 3gr.
Old 09-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

KO Universe
I've got the spektrum module but they've got their own 2.4g system now, it's not compatible with spektrum receivers though (nor is the Futaba 2.4g) so you'd be looking at new receivers too!
Tried the 3VCS and didn't get on with it after being used to KOs.

But as Jamie says try the power cap first.
Old 09-08-2010

So it looks like Owen is getting either the Futaba 3cvs or the KO universe.
Which one though?

Jamie i'l try the power cap(Looks like i'm getting anoyher of Owens hand me downs!) Thanks for the link bud
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Dave, i just now realised i had a spare powercap in my box. Been looking for the bugger for ages and found it earlier whilst cleaning the grass out of it.lol

But try the powercap, im almost certain that will sort it, and remember to re-bind your receivers with the throttle stick on brake or neutral to set the failsafe.
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomj316 View Post
Dave, i just now realised i had a spare powercap in my box. Been looking for the bugger for ages and found it earlier whilst cleaning the grass out of it.lol

But try the powercap, im almost certain that will sort it, and remember to re-bind your receivers with the throttle stick on brake or neutral to set the failsafe.
Yes.. Rebind failsafe to neutral not full throttle Funny how the both times its happened its been on a full power part of the track suggesting a power decrease at the reciever as you have said..Just ordered the power cap so fingers crossed it wont happen at Cobra wrca,dont think the poor lad could take anymore dissapointment
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

I really felt for him yesterday Dave, he was doing so well and all

Hopefully the problems can be ironed out for COBRA, and im sure hes gonna do very well there.
Old 09-08-2010

Dent remind him i beat him twice in the 'A's yesterday then Dave...

Seriously though, the set up you've got is good, try the powercap first, cheap & cheerful to test
Old 09-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I changed from the esprit II to a 3vcs and never looked back.

took a few races to get use to it. you can always put the aerial up if you get nostalgic lol. Very easy to operate and move through the menus. The range is stupid. I can drive the car until I can't see it and still turn out and come back.

R603FF's are a little on the large side, but no problems getting them into any car I've owned
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
Dent remind him i beat him twice in the 'A's yesterday then Dave...

Seriously though, the set up you've got is good, try the powercap first, cheap & cheerful to test
Shhhh..Dont remind him!! poor devil's gone from 3rd fastest at tally then missed the loop in the A. Then TQ'd even the 4wd with his x6 at gnr only to hit the collapsed jump(you know the one)5 times in a row and claw back 2nd.Then spectrum failsafed in the A at caldi so a dnf.Then at s,foot he was on the last 2 corners running 3rd to Andy and Belsten only to failsafe and dnf again!!
His lucks got to c hange soon..
Dates are up for yhe MAM rounds...You in??

Ps.How does my x6 look from behind
Old 09-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I'm hoping to do them mate, superb racing experience. Get booked in!!!
I had a few problems with my handset unbinding, but after bluetacking module tight and a new speedo, everything seems ok. (i hope i haven't just jinxed myself!!!) What other electrics is owen using??
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
I'm hoping to do them mate, superb racing experience. Get booked in!!!
I had a few problems with my handset unbinding, but after bluetacking module tight and a new speedo, everything seems ok. (i hope i haven't just jinxed myself!!!) What other electrics is owen using??
Alrite Andy
Speed passion pro speedo, Sport 3ch spectrum reciever savox digital servo.Reciever ariel is very short though so going to get the wire further out of the shell and try the power cap..Owen should have his new tranny by the next wrca so il prob inherit his if i can fix it
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I changed from the esprit II to a 3vcs and never looked back.

took a few races to get use to it. you can always put the aerial up if you get nostalgic lol. Very easy to operate and move through the menus. The range is stupid. I can drive the car until I can't see it and still turn out and come back.

R603FF's are a little on the large side, but no problems getting them into any car I've owned
Could go either way Futaba/Ko
Thanks for the advice Big G
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Been a Futaba man almost all my racing life, if you discount a flirtation with JR in the 1980s. I find them very (very!) reliable, and all their kit does exactly what it says on the tin. My Txs have been put through an oscilloscope at a couple of big meetings and all passed that test with flying colours.

I would recommend a 3VCS (I have one) as it will take either the Futaba or Spektrum 2.4 system (I use Spektrum). My tip would be always to use a Futaba receiver if running 40Mhz, and preferably Futaba servos. However, I ran KO servos with no issues for many years in Off-Road and TC using the Futaba FF3 and a Futaba receiver.

Txs are one of those things that people swear by one make or the other, and it's not often that people agree with each other!! I swear by Futaba, and hope that my experience helps. If you've any other questions on Futaba kit, please post here or PM me, and if I can offer advice, I will.

One thing's for sure - judging by the numbers you see at all the RC classes, Futaba and KO are the most popular Txs. If eitehr of them were riddled with faults, then we'd all be running something else! It's tough choosing between two great products, isn't it!! HTH
Old 09-08-2010

Yes im warming towards thge futaba.It also looks neater than the ko..So you dont use the futaba 2.4 you use the specrtum module and reciever in the futaba? If thats correct then any reason?
Thanks Slowone
Old 09-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I've seen a few 3vc(s)'s with the speccy modules in
Old 09-08-2010

Could you tell me what value and voltage these power caps are?
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPaul View Post
Could you tell me what value and voltage these power caps are?
Well i was too tight to buy one so i bought a capacitor from Maplin and solders a lead on. I got the 47 Capacitence with 16v rating and it's worked a treat.
Old 09-08-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

Ive used Futaba and KO over the years but always felt the Futaba stuff had a better quality feel to it.
Lots of people run Spektrum and Futaba's 2.4ghz module in the 3vc
Iv heard and seen more problems with the spectrum system than the futaba one, but the Futaba one is more expensive to buy if you have a 40mhz 3vc and want to upgrade to 2.4ghz!
There are lots of people who don't have any problems at all with both systems which ever way you go you will have a very good Tx