Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-11-2011

Default swap from 4wd to 2wd?

Hi.

I am thinking about swapping from 4wd to 2wd - main reasons:

1. bit bored of my B44 and want a new toy but wanting to keep cost down

2. wondering if a 2wd is "easier" to set up and drive as I am struggling a bit (which will more to do with me and lack of practive etc).

What are the main differences that I would see on set up and drive - would it make my life more simple and less frustrating?

Cheers

John
Old 04-11-2011
Banned

saw you browsing for a 22 the other day get a durango pal, or if you want a 2wd get a 210.
Old 04-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnunu1 View Post
What are the main differences that I would see on set up and drive - would it make my life more simple and less frustrating?
My experience is that, other than 2wds requiring less maintenance and tending to be less finicky (set-up wise) than 4wds, that the biggest difference is in driving style (less heavy handed on the throttle). So, if all you've ever run is 4wd, you might struggle getting it to go around the track and be forced to learn a little less aggressive/different driving technique.
Old 04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
My experience is that, other than 2wds requiring less maintenance and tending to be less finicky (set-up wise) than 4wds, that the biggest difference is in driving style (less heavy handed on the throttle). So, if all you've ever run is 4wd, you might struggle getting it to go around the track and be forced to learn a little less aggressive/different driving technique.
TBH I struggle to get a B44 round the track. I dunno - I just think that something that is a bit less "bull in a china shop" and more "refined" or "pointy" (if that makes sense) might be easier to control (i.e. more controllable?).

Does this ring true at all?

I know its all a matter of practice and time etc, but its pissing me off a bit! The easier set up sounds appealing as well.
Old 04-11-2011
Banned

Bmax then, still 4wd but easier to drive
Old 04-11-2011
Mad Member

A well prepared 4wd is ALWAYS going to be easier to drive than a 2wd.
Old 04-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
TBH I struggle to get a B44 round the track. I dunno - I just think that something that is a bit less "bull in a china shop" and more "refined" or "pointy" (if that makes sense) might be easier to control (i.e. more controllable?).

Does this ring true at all?

I know its all a matter of practice and time etc, but its pissing me off a bit! The easier set up sounds appealing as well.
True, that pretty accurrately describes 4wd racing - and "pointy" does ring true, especially running on any surface other than dirt. And I feel that high traction surfaces contribute to your feeling.
Comparatively, I always feel as if I need to ramp up my intensity level before a heat of 4wd and drink a RedBull 10 minutes beforehand to get ready, whereas before running 2wd I feel as if I can sit back with a nice cup of tea and relax. If that makes any sense.
Old 04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Id say that depends on your driving style. A 2WD can be a more relaxing car to drive as you cant carry as much speed therefore feels less "intense". A 4WD should always be faster, but is a much more intense driving experience.

MB Models....Team Durango....Telsshells....韦恩是一个无线电遥控赛车上帝,克雷格是同性恋
Old 04-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacattack View Post
Id say that depends on your driving style. A 2WD can be a more relaxing car to drive as you cant carry as much speed therefore feels less "intense". A 4WD should always be faster, but is a much more intense driving experience.
@wacattack
It's just like roadcars, you can't carry close to the same cornerspeed in a 2wd as a 4wd, and as a result the driving techniques are totally different. Seems that new guys that start off in 4wd always say they're easier to drive, because they never properly learned to drive a 2wd - but to me it's not about easier, it's just different.
Old 04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
@wacattack
It's just like roadcars, you can't carry close to the same cornerspeed in a 2wd as a 4wd, and as a result the driving techniques are totally different. Seems that new guys that start off in 4wd always say they're easier to drive, because they never properly learned to drive a 2wd - but to me it's not about easier, it's just different.
The speed issue might be good for me - make me more controlled and poss more competative.

And I am loving the metaphors being banded about today!

I will try and persude someone to let me have a go with thier 2wd next time I am at the track and see what I think - guess this is the best way fwd.
Old 04-11-2011

Default 2wd

i've been driving 2wd buggies for years and years.2wd i have always enjoyed more,i think they're more fun to drive,when it comes to racing a high end 2wd(losi 22 or x6) i think are superb to drive,it is true that you can't go as fast round corners but if set up right and in the right hands of a driver you can keep up to 4wd cars.

i've had an x6,losi 22,b4,cougar sv,losi xxx and ive never liked schumacher cars and i didn't like the sv too twitchy i just never liked it you get a feeling when you know that its a good car and it just didnt feel right.
i think the losi 22 is stronger than the x6 but both handle and drive just as good,think the x6 handles better though,b4 is a awesome car but the rear shock tower breaks but alloy replacements from fastrax fix that.the losi xxx i've had one of those but thats because it broke over nothing small bumps and crashes made me drop out but i've heard that the ea3 plastic absorbs impact more than graphite as its hard and stiff.
Old 04-11-2011
Mad Member

Before giving up try copying a suitable set up from the manufacturers website as accurately as you can.

Made mine go from being an almost undriveable, tailsliding/powersliding beast that ate rear tyres and spent most of its time on its roof or bouncing down the track, to something that only crashes when i make a mistake......... (410R running a 6.5T motor)

Changing the gearing to slow it down a bit helped too.

Lot cheaper than selling up.
Old 04-11-2011

2WD all the way.

I raced 4WD for years in the late 80's-90's, then switched to 2WD in about 94 - 96 and loved it.

Went I came back to racing a few years ago, I started with a 4WD again ! 6 months ago I changed back to 2WD, as I found 4WD far to frantic. I'm loving the 2WD.

So for me the 2WD is by far the best.

As for driving style, I found that there many ways to hit a corner in 4WD, and that can make the race unpredictable. There is no way a 2WD can be raced in any other way other than the correct line to get a fast time. I find the racing much more predictable and a hell of a lot more smooth than a 4WD race.

2WD is still fast, but it's smooth as well
There not hard to drive, but you do need to know how to do it and be able to 'handle' it. There is no point and squirt here
Old 04-11-2011

I think you should deft try before you buy and make sure that you like the feel of a 2WD.

From being a total novice i can see what people mean by 2WD is relaxing as pushing them and driving them hard just wont make you any faster where as in 4WD is dose.

But have a go with a car and see how it feels, if possible have a go with a few diff cars to see if you can feel the difference.
Old 04-11-2011

Default 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
2WD all the way.

I raced 4WD for years in the late 80's-90's, then switched to 2WD in about 94 - 96 and loved it.

Went I came back to racing a few years ago, I started with a 4WD again ! 6 months ago I changed back to 2WD, as I found 4WD far to frantic. I'm loving the 2WD.

As for driving style, I found that there many ways to hit a corner in 4WD, and that can make the race unpredictable. There is no way a 2WD can be raced in any other way other than the correct line to get a fast time. I find the racing much more predictable and a hell of a lot more smooth than a 4WD race.

There not hard to drive, but you do need to know how to do it and be able to 'handle' it. There is no point and squirt here

thats true mate,someones got good knowledge !
Old 04-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
2WD all the way.

Well said.
Old 04-11-2011
oOple Journalist

Thumbs up 2wd

I find that there is something incredibly satisfying about getting a 2WD round well...there nothing anything like flying round a long sweeper with the front wheels on full lock into the bend and the buggy follows the front wheels in a gradual flowing way. 4WD is very 'Point and Shoot'. I still run 4WD and feel that just as much skill is needed, just skill in a different style of driving. 2WD is just so much more reliant on set-up and the drivers ability to control the buggy both in the air and during cornering. The racing line is far narrower with 2WD...Less margine for error for us mortals

End of the day both classes need skill and nerves of steel, and are equally fun when driven with like minded racers...4WD can be a bit of a demolition derby at some club meetings lol especially these days with motors running so quick...have fun and best of all never take it too seriously

Check out my trader feedback here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65776
Old 04-11-2011

Thanks for all replies.

For me I suppose its less about faster and more about consistancy - I think I will probably be as rubbish with either format until I spend more time on it all.

I guess its about with which format would I get better (not crash as much and make less stupid mistakes and actually learn to drive) faster!

I suspect the format aint the issue #noeasyfix
Old 04-11-2011
oOple Journalist

Talking 2wd

Quote:
Thanks for all replies.

For me I suppose its less about faster and more about consistancy - I think I will probably be as rubbish with either format until I spend more time on it all.

I guess its about with which format would I get better (not crash as much and make less stupid mistakes and actually learn to drive) faster!

Lol I'm with you on that one! If there's a wall or pipe I'm mostly seen parked on them or even worse....IN THEM lol

In my very humble opinion, 2wd teaches me more currently, both in set ups and driving skills....oh and I always think 2wd look cooler

Check out my trader feedback here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65776
Old 04-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all replies.

True - as I heard say many years ago, and still holds true to this day:
"If you want to learn to drive, and develop some talent, grab a 2wd. If you want to go like mad, and rely on less talent, go 4wd."

As I mentioned earlier, I think the big mistake new guys make is jumping straight into 4wd - and they eventually get overwhelmed by all of it - whereas if you start in 2wd you can apply everything you've learned along the way it you do decide to move up to 4wd later.
But to me, one's like a nice warm cut of tea while the other's like gulping an energy drink. Pick your poison, it's just toy car racing.