Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 13-06-2013

Default NIP, boxed original Ultima

If you had one like that, would you build it, or keep it boxed? I might be lucky enough to be getting one and I can't decide whether to build it or not!
Old 13-06-2013
Mad Member

Keep it and buy a good runner. Thy are fairly cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boons View Post
If you had one like that, would you build it, or keep it boxed? I might be lucky enough to be getting one and I can't decide whether to build it or not!
Old 13-06-2013

build it, i dont get why people keep them wrapped up. build it use it,
if you buy them to make money ok but to look at it in the box on a shelf why why why
Orion
Old 13-06-2013

But that box on display on your shelf, but... empty it first and enjoy the content too
Old 13-06-2013

Hi Boons,

Uhmm... let's get some facts first;

An NIB sealed box Kyosho Ultima SELLING price is about $600 to $800. I've seen them on ebay for $1400, but do they actually sell them... no? They are just waitng there for the big fat white shark to pass by.
A new built, unused model might be going for $200-$300, maybe.
A good used condition one goes for $80-$120
A beaten one goes for $40-$60 bucks.

So; NIB $600-$800, NBU $200-$300, Good runner $80-$120 and beaten one for $40-$60.

Now is just a matter of personal prefference and how you are going to feel at the moment and on the long run.
Ask yourself; Are you he kind of guy who likes a box for display with parts inside that can not be touched? Do you preffer a built model for display? Do you want to run it? Are you willing to slash the price for the NIB to less than half for building it up?

I say dont even bother opening the box. I personally dont get NIB models, not saying that I would not buy them, but since I am not rich I stay with the built ones. And If I was lucky enough to have the NIB's I would definetaly have the built ones also, like some members here (lucky bastards LOL).

I love Optima's and I would like to run them again, but for me their time has past long time ago and unfortunately there are no vintage classes here either. So they just sit on their stands, all shiny and with all their pride, like works of art of another era. And I do enjoy just looking at them like an expensive work of art and remembering the good ol' days.

So.. Race them?! Naaa!!!! If I want to race them I preffer getting my AE B44, or other, that I can beat to death with and dont worry about what will break or not. It will be faster, handles better, less maintainance and lasts longer, and most important; dont have to pay $30 for a plastic hub or other. If it was a vintage race, then thats another story and an interesting one for sure, but if I wanted to run an Optima I would just arrange my B44 to look like one.

I say ask yourself what you really want. If it is to race just get a beater from ebay for $50 bucks and sell that one for $700. My two cents
Old 13-06-2013
Mad Member

I think the dilemma is more apparent if the car in question is actually rare generally e.g. a NIB Hirobo Jealousy.

Ultima is not hard to find. Runners pop up a lot on ebay. Though a NIB is rare itself.

I'm assuming if you can afford a NIB then you can possibly stretch for a runner too. In that way you get a taste of its renowned performance. A NIB will hold or increase in value over time. There is also a quirky novelty of having something that is brand new and admired. This is not unique to rc.

That's how I look at it.
Old 13-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naushad View Post
I think the dilemma is more apparent if the car in question is actually rare generally e.g. a NIB Hirobo Jealousy.

Ultima is not hard to find. Runners pop up a lot on ebay. Though a NIB is rare itself.

I'm assuming if you can afford a NIB then you can possibly stretch for a runner too. In that way you get a taste of its renowned performance. A NIB will hold or increase in value over time. There is also a quirky novelty of having something that is brand new and admired. This is not unique to rc.

That's how I look at it.
Let's just hope Kyosho does not go the re-re route....

Agree!
Old 14-06-2013

Hi guys,

Thank you for the comments!

I think after reading optiman's comments I realised that I do actually want to drive one again, and possibly for novelty and nostalgia, race it now and again too. So I'm now thinking that a NIB will not be right for me, so I'll look for a good used one.

So, I'll keep looking through ebay and other sites, if you hear of one, let me know!

Cheers
Old 14-06-2013

Here you go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kyos...item4174231d12
Old 14-06-2013

Ultima II
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kyosho-Ultima...item2c6fc6255f

Original Ultima, but way to expensive if you ask me
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kyosho-Ult...item257ef195d6

Original Ultima missing body, but cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kyosho-Cox...item5af2298d2e

Ultima Body
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kyosho-Cox...item5af2299037

If you keep looking, there right one will come. Not a few a weeks agos I saw one went for about $60, complete and in good condition
Old 14-06-2013

Thank you optiman.

I offered on this one but he wants as close to the £200 as poss:

Original Ultima, but way to expensive if you ask me
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kyosho-Ult...item257ef195d6