Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 19-12-2014

Default B44.3 SLIPPING GEAR NOISE

So I'm the proud owner of a the latest offering from AE. I've noticed that when going from reverse to forward sometimes the car sounds like there's a crunching noise a bit like the mesh was slipping from the pinion to spur gear.

Certainly no slipping there and the tell-tale signs of bad meshing of the pinion and spur are non existent. I've also had hesitation when pulling away, anyone any ideas?

As the car is all metal diffs and shafts then i don't se how the car can act as if it had a slipping belt and with that type of noise. this on a flat track no jumps etc.

So I throw this one to the great and good for some assistance.
Old 19-12-2014

If you are using reverse you need to stop the car before gunning it forward - ESC usually have a delay programmed for that, but it can be disabled sometimes. Correct shimming should prevent gears slipping, but changing drive direction quickly is harsh on the gears. Unless you really need reverse, switch it off.

But back to your main question - it's either the sun gears slipping over the planet gears, or input pinion gear slipping over the ring gear. If you need reverse and can't programme a delay in change of direction, you'll have to shim those gears very tightly, but that will reduce efficiency, and the motor and ESC will run a bit hotter.
Old 19-12-2014

Check the motors not bust and the pinion isnt turning on the shaft
Old 19-12-2014

Thanks guys

The motor is fine (new 13,5T so not a monster) the pinion is good too, yes i
I'm using reverse but with a delay, its a tight indoor track, and not too may marshals and the B44:3 is 200% overkill for the trackwill

Reverse is set to 20% so not a big hit but the noise is from moving backwards to forwards so will look at the shimming etc or just run FWD only. TBH moving onto touring cars in the new year for my indoor racing just checking that nothing is goosed.
Old 19-12-2014
Mad Member

It's probably pinion/ring gear not shimmed properly, I had the same, usually on heavy braking (front diff obv.).
Was bad enough to necessitate a new ring gear and pinion, snapped teeth off both.

Might also be worth checking the diff housing, a crack in that can knacker up your mesh/shimming.