Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk > Academy

Old 19-12-2007
oOple Advertiser

Default Want to try off-road

Hi all,
I've been racing touring cars for about a year now and a few of us are thinking about giving off-road a shot to see if we like it.

I've read a fair bit about the SB Carbon, and it seems to be great value !

Can any recommend somewhere to purchase the kit + spares in the UK ? We're thinking of all buying the same kit to share spares to begin with, are they easy to come by ? (spares)

Is there anything we should watch out for with these ? weak points, possible upgrades/conversions etc..

Many Thanks
Chris
Old 20-12-2007

The only upgrade I would consider a must-have is the diggity designs carbon towers and front hinge pin brace.

www.diggitydesigns.com

I have yet to break any of those pieces
Old 20-12-2007
oOple Advertiser

Many thanks for that. I can't seem to find anyone in the UK that will get the Pro version imported ? Looks like stormer hobbies in the US is going to be the way to go.
Old 20-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Have you tried DC Racing? Always happy to try and get most things for a customer!!!!
Old 21-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

models in motion stock the academy stuff, they have the SB sport v2 so should be able to get the pro version easily enough.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 21-12-2007
oOple Advertiser

thanks guys, we'll check them out
Old 21-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not being funny mate, but I have been racing off road for over 5 years now, and I have raced in almost every event possible, I don't know anybody racing the Academy. And if you are having trouble finding them, maybe that's a sign???
Perhaps think about trying a more common car???
My 2 cents.
Old 21-12-2007
oOple Advertiser

David...no problem finding them in countries other than the UK, but you know thought we'd support the hobby in this country if we could..

no wonder people import....
Old 21-12-2007

I purchased mine from Amain hobbies, and for all I know it maybe the only one in New Zealand, fine by me, I bought it rather then run what everybody else was using. The car is so damn fine I'm amazed anyone can even look at one without wanting one.

Parts wise, Amain are faster, cheaper,and more competent, then any Hobby Store I have visited within a few hundred miles, There is no real need anymore to restrict yourself to what the local stores decide to stock.

Drives like a low flying jet, corners like a demon, tears over the rough stuff, amazing piece of kit.
Old 04-01-2008
kyosho_greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Church View Post
Not being funny mate, but I have been racing off road for over 5 years now, and I have raced in almost every event possible, I don't know anybody racing the Academy. And if you are having trouble finding them, maybe that's a sign???
Perhaps think about trying a more common car???
My 2 cents.

well they arnt that bad i think soon ill prove you rong ive been raceing up my local off road track for 6 months now www.speedwayrc.com and on tueday nights i race fenton indoor with it and it takes one hell of a beating there becouse im the only buggy on the track i havent broke a single part in 6 months and i think thats good going seeming aso im 13 and still geting used to electricks i say buy the car i give it a *****( 5 stars) rating eny day handles great and for the price of it wat do you axpect and who cares if it is not a comon car?? i dont and according to rc racer magizine its the most adaptable car in the world.
Old 04-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

ppppppfffffff

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 05-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Chris,

if you want to be a little different from the norm but still have a car supported in the UK then get a Kyosho Lazer ZX5-SP.

All the suspension geometry new compared to the original car, the strength issues the original cars was supposed to have seem to have been sorted with the SP and the thing handles like a dream, so safe and easy to drive hard.

Give Dom aat DC Racing a call / Pm / mail and see what he can do for you price wise, you'll be shocked at that too. If you do go for the SP get one of the DC screw kits and also W5184-04 front shock shafts at the time of purchase. Those two upgrades will make the car a joy to own and work with.
Old 09-01-2008
oOple Advertiser

thanks for the responses guys, I went and had a look at Eden Park last weekend, and now I can't wait to get out racing !!
Old 09-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dono View Post
thanks for the responses guys, I went and had a look at Eden Park last weekend, and now I can't wait to get out racing !!
Good move, I hear that is an awesome track (we'll all find out this year) and I know there will be plenty of people there who will direct you with anything, starting with direction away from the Academy .
Old 09-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i was at eden park at the weekend also.

i have to say, you will be far better off with something different as the academy, although capable, may struggle with support for spares and set up etc.

I have to echo Roger and say go for a lazer. the new SP is peanuts and a very popular club car. I've driven one round eden park and it went really well. Spares are also very cheap.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 09-01-2008
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Good move, I hear that is an awesome track (we'll all find out this year) and I know there will be plenty of people there who will direct you with anything, starting with direction away from the Academy .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
i was at eden park at the weekend also.

i have to say, you will be far better off with something different as the academy
Ok, so why (other than spares availability) would people not recommend the academy ?
Old 09-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have raced one, and it was the SB-sport, so very basic (although mine was heavily modified), the car was good initially and an improvement over the Yokomo MR4BC Special which i had before it, easy to work on etc. But it wasn't long before I got very frustrated in not being competitive due to the cars limits - which were brought on by very flexible plastic, poor ratio for fast modified motors (2.75:1), twisty chassis and big overhang at front bulkhead.

People tell me the newer cars are far better. But when I look I just see the same flexible plastic wishbones and hubs, flexible steering arms, flexible chassis, big overhang (compare it with the XX4 where the chassis sweaps up around the diff so not to dig in to the ground - this makes a big difference).

Granted, I could be wrong now although id need a lot of convincing personally, and no car is perfect anyway, but do collect your own information by asking when you go to Eden Park, ask Dom when you ring DC racing - he is honest, and will have recommendations too.
Old 09-01-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

because its cack??
Old 09-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

haha made me laugh lol totally agree carl.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 09-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
because its cack??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
haha made me laugh lol totally agree carl.

A
This is what annoys me two complete knobs that haven't run the cars yet post crap on forums, and unless they are currently running that product then it's rubbish/cack.

The latest cars are very good and there are plenty of spares avaliable for them through UK shops(I saw a rack full of spares on Friday), It's comments from the few narrow minded people above that steer new racers away from what is a good quality, but affordable car.

That is the reason why model shops don't carry the cars, because a few people who think they know everything (but know very little) put potential buyers off, with these sort of comments.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk