Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 15-06-2010

Default Leaky big bores...

Morning everybody.

We are all well aware of the glitter-in-the-shock oil situation. I scrubbed my shock bodies very well before assembly and I still have this this issue.

My front shocks are leaking. All o-rings were coated in Associated Green Slime and the rears have not leaked a drop yet. If I clean all of the crap out and refill them, they're usually good for a days worth of racing. If I just top them off, they leak like there's no tomorrow. I will be completely rebuilding them today, but has anybody else had these issues?

What I find odd is the the shock shaft on the worst offender is still a nice uniform gold color. All of the others have little gold coating left.
Old 15-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
Morning everybody.

We are all well aware of the glitter-in-the-shock oil situation. I scrubbed my shock bodies very well before assembly and I still have this this issue.

My front shocks are leaking. All o-rings were coated in Associated Green Slime and the rears have not leaked a drop yet. If I clean all of the crap out and refill them, they're usually good for a days worth of racing. If I just top them off, they leak like there's no tomorrow. I will be completely rebuilding them today, but has anybody else had these issues?

What I find odd is the the shock shaft on the worst offender is still a nice uniform gold color. All of the others have little gold coating left.
It looks like there isn't enough pressure on the o-rings of the "the worst offender", making them leak (but preserving the gold color). I would check the build of that shock.
Old 15-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
Morning everybody.

Had the same problem with the "glitter" and leaking, the glitters had damage the o-ring and after I change to new o-ring now more leaking. I am using Associated orange o-ring which works very well with Asso Green Slime.

Danish 4WD champion 1989, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

www.racegallery.dk
Old 15-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrich View Post
I am using Associated orange o-ring which works very well with Asso Green Slime.

Good to know. I'll pick some up at the track tomorrow.
Old 15-06-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

you saying, since you bought the kit, it has partially worn the Nitride coating off the shock shaft on 3 of the shocks?
Old 15-06-2010

Hi,

regarding glitter:
============
I had the same problem.
After some racing weekends and 3-4 times oil-changes, the problem is gone - as well as the coating by some good amount
However, the shocks are still perfect, so don't mind this issue.

regarding leakage:
=============
Just again, I had the same problem although everything was build perfectly.
There are different workarounds.
I simply replaced the black plastic-washer between these blue o-rings against an older red Asso o-ring. No leak anymore and still a very smooth shock. I didn't re-worked them for the last two racing-weekend and they are still perfect

===========
After many weekends driving this car, there just one issue, which is really anoying: The diff-outdrives are made of bad steel and look very used already
Old 15-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
you saying, since you bought the kit, it has partially worn the Nitride coating off the shock shaft on 3 of the shocks?
Yes. I've been running the car for 2 weeks now. 2 race and 3 practice. I can provide pics later.
Old 15-06-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

thats not right, either the coatings wrong, or they specifying a soft coating. The B4 nitride shafts on the rear of my B4 are still very gold.... same with my Tamiya shocks.
Old 16-06-2010

I have the same with my big bore shocks + my losi shocks.
Old 16-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthes77 View Post
After many weekends driving this car, there just one issue, which is really anoying: The diff-outdrives are made of bad steel and look very used already

yes, my sons outdrives are showing signs of wear after only two meetings - there is already a small concave area where the driveshafts rest. According to Schumacher not only is this normal, it is perfectly acceptable wear, even after no more than 90 minutes of use!
Old 16-06-2010

Well they also say that an ill fitting transmission housing, and an improper gear mesh are perfectly acceptable, so shouldn't we be used to this?
Old 20-06-2010

Are there any other probs with the SX2 that anyone is aware of?

Old 20-06-2010

hi we have had 2 or the sx2 here at r&m models skegness we also have had the same problams with both (glitter and leaking) i have rebuilt the shock twice sofar and same each time i have rebuilt them with edit 900 oil no glitter and no leakes as of yet so i can only put this down to oil thickness! as to problams we have found the plastic stearing arms to be very weak.
also the front piviot blocks break just by looking at them i have broke every piviot block and replaced them all with aloy ones apart from the front 2 witch i have made an alloy brace for and it works very well a m8 had a go and hit a wall it broke the steering arm but never botherd the piviot blocks.
also watch the front shock tower mount seems to be a little weak
but once these have been sorted it make it a much better car (i may be wrong but this just my opinion).
who knew that a 1/18th
buggy could be so fast!!!
Old 30-06-2010

Do these problems mainly relate to the SX2 shocks? Or can I expect similar in an original Cat SX?

Ian
Old 01-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I just bought a Cat with big bores on it and although I didn't build the original ones I stripped it down to clean and setup and found 2 of the 4 shocks had loose caps on the bottoms where the seals are...

might just be a 1 off build issue from previously, but I thought it was a bit weird.

Found rebuilding them with fresh oil a doddle to do and made 2 perfect shocks quickly and stress free
Old 01-07-2010

I found that the bottom caps on 2 of my shocks came a little loose after a day's racing. In terms of the leaking aspect, I noticed the bottom spring pan was damp on my rears but there was no air in the shocks. I'm trying turning the plastic bit on the bottom of the o-rings round to put some pressure on the o-rings and see how that works.
Old 01-07-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C. View Post
I found that the bottom caps on 2 of my shocks came a little loose after a day's racing. In terms of the leaking aspect, I noticed the bottom spring pan was damp on my rears but there was no air in the shocks. I'm trying turning the plastic bit on the bottom of the o-rings round to put some pressure on the o-rings and see how that works.
This is what I have done and it works perfectly, thanks to Trish!!!