Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 25-03-2010

Default Lazer ZX-5, is this normal?

I've posted elsewhere because I've started getting a split second of stuttering when accelerating and reversing.

Someone has mentioned a possible fault with the ESC (LRP SPX, brand new), which I'll be looking into.

In the meantime, I've took some of the transmission apart as I could hear a squeeking sound every now and again when turning the wheels.

I found this..
(they are pretty large images to show you the damage)

http://www.web-development-server.com/DSC_0178.JPG
http://www.web-development-server.com/DSC_0179.JPG
http://www.web-development-server.com/DSC_0180.JPG

It looks like the who bearing (inner and outer) have been spinning in it's holder, hence what looks like black plastic everywhere. I did experience a burning smell when doing some testing. I even marked the outside of the bearing, ran it for a few seconds, and the mark I put on was gone, so it was defo moving.

It also looks like the bar going through the spur is slightly bent, possibly what's caused the bearing the act up.

I've ordered a new bar and a teflon bearing, which I hope will resolve the issue.

Just wondering is what looks like damage in the pictures normal? or is it obvious that there is something wrong?

Getting back into it after 14 year...so be gentle
Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010

I think that the shaft where do you put all the parts is bent like mine.
Old 25-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaank View Post
I think that the shaft where do you put all the parts is bent like mine.
Yeh that's what I think. When I hold the bearing in my hand and spin the bar, you can see it wobbling from side to side. When it's in the car, you see the drive shaft from front to back wobble as well, presumably because the bar connecting to it is bent.

We'll soon see tomorrow when the new bearing and bar comes. almost £12 for the bar as well!

Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default bearing probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlened View Post
I've posted elsewhere because I've started getting a split second of stuttering when accelerating and reversing.

Someone has mentioned a possible fault with the ESC (LRP SPX, brand new), which I'll be looking into.

In the meantime, I've took some of the transmission apart as I could hear a squeeking sound every now and again when turning the wheels.

I found this..
(they are pretty large images to show you the damage)

http://www.web-development-server.com/DSC_0178.JPG
http://www.web-development-server.com/DSC_0179.JPG
http://www.web-development-server.com/DSC_0180.JPG

It looks like the who bearing (inner and outer) have been spinning in it's holder, hence what looks like black plastic everywhere. I did experience a burning smell when doing some testing. I even marked the outside of the bearing, ran it for a few seconds, and the mark I put on was gone, so it was defo moving.

It also looks like the bar going through the spur is slightly bent, possibly what's caused the bearing the act up.

I've ordered a new bar and a teflon bearing, which I hope will resolve the issue.

Just wondering is what looks like damage in the pictures normal? or is it obvious that there is something wrong?
have you been doing full batterys in and getting the motor hot?? i used to get this problem when i had my sp the ally washer spins in the bearing instead of the bearing spinning then when the ally washer wears you endup with some play in the spur if you dont replace the ally washer at this point it strips the rear gear box very easly i think all this is caused by getting the bearing to hot
Old 25-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
have you been doing full batterys in and getting the motor hot?? i used to get this problem when i had my sp the ally washer spins in the bearing instead of the bearing spinning then when the ally washer wears you endup with some play in the spur if you dont replace the ally washer at this point it strips the rear gear box very easly i think all this is caused by getting the bearing to hot
Probably, I'm not sure. I did give it a good run a while ago to run it it, so maybe it did it then.

I'm replacing the bearing for a teflon one, so hopefully it'll cope with the heat.

Infact, I think I'll replace all the bearings and get teflon ones to be on the safe side.

Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default zx5 probs

how free did the drive train feel with the motor of the spur??? the parts you need are la203 by the way
Old 25-03-2010

To be honest, it felt pretty free, but at certain points I could hear a scratching noise, like something was catching.

I got the part numbers off the exploded view and gave JESpares a ring, who've popped the parts in the post for me.

Out of interest, is the much difference between the standard bearings that come with the RTR (BRG014) and the Teflon bearings that come with the SP (BRG014TS)?

Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default bearings

Quote:
To be honest, it felt pretty free, but at certain points I could hear a scratching noise, like something was catching.

I got the part numbers off the exploded view and gave JESpares a ring, who've popped the parts in the post for me.

Out of interest, is the much difference between the standard bearings that come with the RTR (BRG014) and the Teflon bearings that come with the SP (BRG014TS)?
im not that well up on bearing quality etc but i would expect the teflon ones to be better as they are more expensive je spares also stock all the teflon bearings youd need to
Old 25-03-2010

Quote:
im not that well up on bearing quality etc but i would expect the teflon ones to be better as they are more expensive je spares also stock all the teflon bearings youd need to
Yeh they're sorting me out the bearing I need. I'm going to drop them an e-mail to get a price for replacing the all the bearings as well.

Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default bearing

going of the price id think the ceramic ones are the best
Old 25-03-2010

Quote:
going of the price id think the ceramic ones are the best
Yeh, I'm considering ordering ceramic bearings for the ones that go in the front and rear diffs, and the one around the centre drive shaft. (10x15x4). They're more important than the bearings in the wheels as I'd imagine they put up with more stress.

I priced up replacing all the bearings for ceramic bearings, and they worked out at about £47!

Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default bearings

Quote:
Yeh, I'm considering ordering ceramic bearings for the ones that go in the front and rear diffs, and the one around the centre drive shaft. (10x15x4). They're more important than the bearings in the wheels as I'd imagine they put up with more stress.

I priced up replacing all the bearings for ceramic bearings, and they worked out at about £47!
a bit expensive mate,i think we should start a competition on the most hoped up lazer in the country i think you minght win lol
Old 25-03-2010

Quote:
a bit expensive mate,i think we should start a competition on the most hoped up lazer in the country i think you minght win lol
I'm trying to only replace stuff that's going to be an improvement on what's already there, rather than making it look nice...I'm sure there will be people out there who've done more than me...I hope

Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default improvements

Quote:
I'm trying to only replace stuff that's going to be an improvement on what's already there, rather than making it look nice...I'm sure there will be people out there who've done more than me...I hope
i bet youd wished you got the sp version straight off
Old 25-03-2010

Quote:
i bet youd wished you got the sp version straight off
I'd have still wanted to upgrade certain bits, like the ceramic bearings. but yeh, kind of wish I had now

Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default sp

Quote:
I'd have still wanted to upgrade certain bits, like the ceramic bearings. but yeh, kind of wish I had now
i must admit though i get a lot of enjoyment upgrading my cars ive spent a fortune on my fs since i got it
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default upgrades

the best upgrades ive found are the ally hinge pin holders law37 and law36 and the ally wheel hexes but they are expensive
Old 25-03-2010

Do you have a link to the ally wheel hexes? I keep damaging the plastic ones when I take them off.

Web Design Durham
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Default wheel hexes

Quote:
Do you have a link to the ally wheel hexes? I keep damaging the plastic ones when I take them off.
http://www.jespares.com/electric-mod...tegory_id=1285
Old 25-03-2010

Hi all,

Bearings with ceramic ball compliments give no performance increase with regard to load (they actually have a reduced dynamic load rating compared with steel balls). They are only normally used in industry to increase the bearings upper speed limit. They tend to have slightly better resistance to lack of lubrication.

I would recommend that bearings with metal shields are checked for noise and regularly cleaned with solvent and soaked overnight in a standard mineral oil.

If the bearings have an internal teflon coating then this will help with lubrication however will not gaurantee quality. Most bearings supplied for use in rc cars are not manufactured by the recognised top quality bearing manufacturers but are certainly 'fit for purpose'. Especially considering the relatively low prices that are charged.

If possible I would opt for bearings that have rubber contact seals with grease lube rather than the usual non-contact metal shields.

The biggest bearing killers are contamination from dirt and dust - which leads to fatigue damage and lubrication failure and also axial loading. Check that shims (like those on the diff outdrives and the main bevel gear shaft) are not placing the bearing under too much thrust loading.

Hope this helps a little.