Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

my 2cts, it would be a loss for RC if LiPo and similar packs get banned.
LiPO is very easy to use, charge, stock ... and a real + for someone beginning on RC.
NiMH are ok, but require a lot more time and work to maintain their performance.
Also, LiPO is very stable and straight forward. In NiMH you will see a big difference between normal, stock elements and the specially treated packs topdrivers get from their sponsors, and thus pumping up the price.
Also NiMh is more expensive if you want to compeed at the front (NiMH: 6 (special) packs, charger with special functions, discharge trays; Lipo: charger + balancer + 2 packs and that's all you need for a day of competition) ... or maybe this is exactly the reason they want to give itthe monopoly. Certainly the manufactors will like this.
Old 06-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowie View Post
and the specially treated packs topdrivers get from their sponsors
Let me set the record straight, again.
Once upon a time when cell performance wasn't what we have now, top drivers MAY have received chosen packs. But this hasn't happened for a long time now, and in some instances the sponsors send out the sport spec cells to the drivers!!!

Top spec cells are available to all, and the potential power we can get is in excess of what we need - so there certainly is no more "chosen packs for the team drivers".
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

Agree Chris, for OR this really can't be the case. OTOH in 1:12 this is still a nightmare! The Nats this year I dumped with matched EP 4600 cells and a 5,5 with low ratio and zero timing - and that was on the first charge!

Going to a 1:12 WC or EC is in my opinion a waste of time unless you are sponsored... this is OTOH great about OR!

But again, 5 cells will not be good for the majority of the racers. It will drive costs up.

@Lowie: You forgot the "Battery Nurse" suitcase which isn't cheap either...

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 06-04-2008

Default erm, couldnt think of a clever header )

My 2 cents worth also, 5 cell idea seems totaly stupid,everyone has standard 6 cell packs, and it will f**k with battery mounts on inline packs and saddle packs, not to mention the balence ( yeah like my driving skills will be affected but the top guys will probably notice it ).

Second, I have just come away from a wet race that was snowed off, the less the grip the more fun it was, power sliding, more driver control required.

For off road more power = more fun, u guys doing touring cars have to make your own call but there is no way I would want to loose any power, i will be seriosly looking at LiPO purl to reduce weight and improve the handling of my X11

PS the origional post didnt give a reason for suggested change, have we had an official BRCA statement on WHY ? or is it pure rumour ?
Old 06-04-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

you wil also kill any new commer who buys stick packs for his rtr/entry level car
Old 06-04-2008

Over here in sweden most ppl have switched to 5 cells to gain the driveablility. if u feel like u need more speed just go down to a 4.5 or whatever. Outdoors the tracks around here are mostly loose dirt and then you cant punch it so much anyway. 5cells is the way go

www.autopartner.se
www.sommarcupen.se
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkan View Post
Over here in sweden most ppl have switched to 5 cells to gain the driveablility. if u feel like u need more speed just go down to a 4.5 or whatever. Outdoors the tracks around here are mostly loose dirt and then you cant punch it so much anyway. 5cells is the way go
But erkan, you are allowed to use 5 cells now. Why have a rule LIMITING all drivers to using 5 cells? Why not let those who want use 6? Don't get me wrong, I use it also but not always. The more simple and flexible rules the better in my opinion.

And can anyone check with BRCA if there are any EFRA proposals handed in regarding this issue? (And LiPo)

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 06-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
But erkan, you are allowed to use 5 cells now. Why have a rule LIMITING all drivers to using 5 cells? Why not let those who want use 6? Don't get me wrong, I use it also but not always. The more simple and flexible rules the better in my opinion.

And can anyone check with BRCA if there are any EFRA proposals handed in regarding this issue? (And LiPo)
Fully agree. If the drivers choose to run 5 cells then so be it, but don't impose it as a rule. I think the rules should not govern the car to carry 6 if it is being diven from 5 though.
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Let me set the record straight, again.
Once upon a time when cell performance wasn't what we have now, top drivers MAY have received chosen packs. But this hasn't happened for a long time now, and in some instances the sponsors send out the sport spec cells to the drivers!!!

Top spec cells are available to all, and the potential power we can get is in excess of what we need - so there certainly is no more "chosen packs for the team drivers".
Well, I certainly believe you guys when you state that the situation has changed.
I just told this because I heared stories from the old days ... AND I know at least one driver who gets the best cells his sponsor, manufactor of selected packs can find in his stock (I know the guy personally!) ... but again, I don't doubt you saying that this is no longer a normal situation.
Let's close this dated debate.

Anyway, I agree on the argument of not restricting. Let drivers choose themselves if they drive with 6 or 5 cells.
I certainly learned from tis thread. I will certainly try the 5-cell-"trick" when driving in slippery conditions. I still have some NiMH-packs that need getting out of the battery-box
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

I remember when the rules got changed to 5-cell in TC a lot of people complained about it. Now everyone agrees it was the right move and is the best TC class we've sen in a while...

I guess the point is, whatever happens we should go out and enjoy racing...
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Fully agree. If the drivers choose to run 5 cells then so be it, but don't impose it as a rule. I think the rules should not govern the car to carry 6 if it is being diven from 5 though.
Yup! We don't wanna carry dead weight around!

So... leave the rules as is and just add LiPo!

Visit my showroom
Old 06-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Well, I certainly believe you guys when you state that the situation has changed.
I just told this because I heared stories from the old days ... AND I know at least one driver who gets the best cells his sponsor, manufactor of selected packs can find in his stock (I know the guy personally!) ... but again, I don't doubt you saying that this is no longer a normal situation.
Let's close this dated debate.

Anyway, I agree on the argument of not restricting. Let drivers choose themselves if they drive with 6 or 5 cells.
I certainly learned from tis thread. I will certainly try the 5-cell-"trick" when driving in slippery conditions. I still have some NiMH-packs that need getting out of the battery-box
Hey Lowie. The reason for not getting picked cells is it isn't necessary anymore and of no advantage, it used to be so, and it would likely become so again if 5cell racing became the limit. If someone is telling you otherwise about getting picked cells, he may be getting told lies, or he may be showboating.

For a team driver to get picked cells is actually damaging to the brand in my opinion, especially if potential customers found out - which we do. As if customers think that they need those cells (even if they really don't), and can't get them, then that says something is bad about the product and we'll pick something else. Whereas if the team drivers are using cells no different to whats available, then the equipment which may be winning is available to all and thats good for the brand as they will sell.
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

that indeed, sounds very wise.
(The guy I was talking about, drives On-road. Does that make any difference?)
Old 06-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
that indeed, sounds very wise.
(The guy I was talking about, drives On-road. Does that make any difference?)

Aaaaah, yes - then picked cells would perhaps be an advantage..... but he shouldn't be telling people he has them.

Im talking purely off-road with my comments above mate.
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedman View Post
PS the origional post didnt give a reason for suggested change, have we had an official BRCA statement on WHY ? or is it pure rumour ?
You won't get any statement from the BRCA committee as there is no current rule to limit batteries to 5 cell, and if anyone wants to propose 5 cell there's about another 5 months to wait before it is even considered by all the drivers at the AGM. What can the committee say, they can't say it's not true as they don't know what any of the members will propose at the AGM and they can't say it's true for exactly the same reason.

Remember "the BRCA" is not a body that comes up with the rules everyone have to follow, the committee are just a bunch of fellow racers who volunteer their time to organise r/c racing in the UK. BTW the BRCA rules only cover national and regional racing, whatever rules your local club decides to race with has nothing to do with the BRCA, if they want to follow the BRCA rules that's down to them.

A quote from the BRCA website:
Quote:
First bit is a simple statement:-
  • The BRCA doesn’t create rules.
  • The Section Committee’s don’t create rules.
The Membership creates the rules & The Officials -you vote in- enforce them.
i.e. Any of us (You, your club mates, an official - any of us) can change or create a rule.
Or more accurately we can ‘Propose’ a rule or rule change.
Old 06-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Why don't people just use their thumbs better to control the cars, instead of threatening rule changes like these?

If your getting too much power, then don't put as much down and lighten the thumbs a little, surely?
Old 06-04-2008
Administrator

agreed tel, I would take up knitting if 5 cells were the rule! 5 cells is an option and always has been - but its cheaper to run 6 cells than 5. Its cheaper to race modified than stock for the same reason.
Old 06-04-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

Its far better to have more power available than you can drive becuase that way you just drive with the most power you can sucessfully handle, if the power is limited below that then any slight advantage like specially selected cells will give you an advantage over somebody else driving costs ups as everybody looks for the tiniest advantage.

I would be against a 5 cell rule. Just have a rule to allow up to 6 cells, you could run 4 cells as long as you where on or over the weight limit no need to carry non-powering cells.

I dont really see why you would go to 5 cells would give you more drivablity and if you wanted more power you could just drop a wind. If you added a wind on 6 cells would it not have a very similar effect and the car only goes as quick as the thumbs make it.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 07-04-2008
Mad Member

Sounds good guys! Seems like most drivers don't want a max 5 cells rule. But will BRCA propose to allow LiPo? In order for it to be voted over at the EFRA AGM someone has to send in a proposal before august. UK has the most activity so it would be great if it came from you! We will try to get a majority that seconds it!

Visit my showroom
Old 07-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
2) You're wrong. IFMAR rules state you must have 6 cells onboard,

No they don't.

4.2.8 Cars will be driven by a maximum of 6 cells and 7.2 volts maximum. For 1/12 the
numbers of cells is limited to 4.

From http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/ifmar_wc_electric_track.pdf