Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 05-06-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k
Default New X-6 Nosecone

New improved nosecone for the X-6, supposedly much more durable. Certainly does address a common issue of braking the nosecone, makes the X-6 much more appealing to me

Link : http://www.xfactoryrc.com/news_06_04_07.htm
Old 05-06-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

that does look like a turn for the best, chris / dan are you running these parts yet on ur x-6 ?

Garry D.
Old 05-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well these nose cones are meant to be bullet proof, i hear tested by running an X-6 into a kerb at full speed several times - and it mangled the alloy brace, the new nose cone remained un damaged!!

So it certainly is a great part revision

The news is very hot off the press, this part has literally only just been moulded and neither me or Dan have received any yet. But we will be running them shortly.

Chris
Old 06-06-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

As Chris says, very new parts (matter of days) but we should have them soonish (US post has been random of late), not for this weekend I don't think.

Chazz recognised that the original part had failings and has responded to this. What needs to be realised is that not only is the part bulked up in terms of material shape but the change of molding shop and material is very significant. I don't want to be giving too much away but the new material at a molding shop that has years of experience in model car part production means much better parts (PARTS!!! )

I anticipate this being like twice as strong as the old part, virtually a fit and forget part. Obviously Chazz has not only spent the money on part design change, mold change, shop change etc but he'll make less money from spares. But shows he wants to make the car as good as possible!!!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-06-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
We tested the part in the street by repeatedly running it into the curb full punched... several times. We changed to another new nose piece, and repeated the process. And a third. We wore out two bumpers, broke two bulkheads, a front control arm, and the momentum of the batteries broke two battery posts. Paul's Factory Team blue front hinge pin brace is a mess, but all three nose pieces are just fine. In fact, the third nose piece has continued running through several test days and club races with no problems whatever.
But it's only moved the problem elsewhere , same as fitting strengthened parts to any other car you move the weak point to another place.

With the original part if it stayed together after a good shunt you could finish a race like happened @ TRCC indoors for me. Nose cone cracked in half on the underside. But wheels stayed in line and steering was OK. Have had 1 let go like most others will have were it has stopped the car in it's tracks. Break a control arm and your run is all but over.

Having said that I'll be having a new nose
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 06-06-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Glen, whilst agree it moves to the next weakest part, but if the next weakest part (whatever that is) is like twice as strong then it's still for the better.

I'd rather the central spine/chassis was solid and took a wishbone off, than broke the nose peice.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

will the chassis have the same treatment as the nosecone?
not that the chassis is ulta weak but a revamp with the new moulding material would solve the rear "T" section snapping??

Look a step in the right direction however im supprised the side walls are not trimed down for the big servos???
Old 06-06-2007
Mad Member

is it just me or is it brown?
Old 06-06-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

It's not brown, just camera orangy camera flash at close range I think

Milzy, not just a pretty face are you The answer from me is I don't know, Chazz will check on here in time and answer I suspect however I have never done or even seen the back end break off though have heard of it happening. I don't believe it is a major weak part or anything as I've seen a fair few B4 and XXX chassis in half over time.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-06-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
I have never done or even seen the back end break off though have heard of it happening.
Let me open your eye's
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 06-06-2007
Administrator

looking at those skypigs, I don't think it would be unusual for ANYTHING to break on that track! it was crazy madness
Old 06-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
But it's only moved the problem elsewhere , same as fitting strengthened parts to any other car you move the weak point to another place.
Hi Glenn,
This nose cone is only making the front of the X-6 as indestructable as the B4 chassis. It is not a part that should 'give' atall in any crash - just like on a B4, the chassis should not break.

Chris
Old 06-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yeah im with jimmy any thing would snap getting the quad wrong if you watch the vid of the A mains on 4wdrc.com the first 3 bj4s snap out getting it wrong, and lee's pics show roundys car dead and a few others.

im glad X factroy have resloved the front issues and im sure will sort the x6 and the x5 issues- not that there is any big ones on the x5
Old 06-06-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
Let me open your eye's
Hey I wasn't lying, I can honestly say I've never seen those pics before, I assume they were in all the Cactus ones Lee et all took, but I never looked at them all

I've also never seen these vids of the cactus, I assume part of my resolution to spend less time on the web at home. In work is still fine though

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yeah vids all show people killing somthing on there car, prac qualy and mains, you should watch there is some good stuff on there.