Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team C Racing

Old 10-04-2013

Default TM2 Drive Shaft Wear

Is the "flattening" of the drive shaft pin normal for about 6 hours of running (approx 12 meetings of around 30 mins running) or have I got a setup issue? Faulty drive shaft issue?

The part T04046 is £28 and seems to be out of stock. Can I use the rear shaft of T04026 which is cheaper and in stock?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TM2 Driveshaft 2.jpg (156.1 KB, 112 views)
Old 10-04-2013

Oh and Lee - Helpful constructive comments only please - no "You wouldn't have this problem with Durango, Xray etc!"
Old 10-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezT View Post
Oh and Lee - Helpful constructive comments only please - no "You wouldn't have this problem with Durango, Xray etc!"
you know he will, lol
Old 10-04-2013
oOple Advertiser

the other part numbers you mention are a different length so unfortunately, no you cant use them.

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 10-04-2013
oOple Advertiser

oh, and yes, it's normal as all of ours are getting like that. It's not your setup or faulty pin

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 10-04-2013

To be honest Jez i'm not suprised that this is happening - that joint takes all the load/shock that on the diff outputs is shared, your TM2 is/was? one of the first being raced at Silverstone so its had a pretty busy life already & the high grip surface (combined with the gear diff) at Moulton can't help.

On building up my TM2 I lubed up all the UJ/Dogbone joints with the white lithium grease that you can buy from cycle shops - i've been using this on the joints of my touring car driveshafts for a while now & have noticed much reduced wear - we used it on the Dogbones of the car we raced in the 24hr event at Ardent last year where in the previous year outdrive wear had been a major issue but we experienced very little if no wear over the 24hrs of constant running (although admittedly this car was only running a 17.5 on 'Blinky' with a more forgiving drivetrain)

Obviously time will tell as to whether this lubricant helps extend the life of my driveshaft/output parts on the TM2 but its got to worth a try!

http://www.mickscycles.co.uk/ecom-ca...ike-lubes.html
Old 10-04-2013
oOple Advertiser

Cheers for the tip Dan, I'll be getting myself some of that. As Dan said, the strain on the drivetrain is immense on the car especially with a geared diff.
Old 10-04-2013

Thanks for your replies gents.

Dan, does the lithium grease stay on the components and not "fling" off under centrifugal force? Can it be used between the Diff gear and the other one, inside the casing?
Old 10-04-2013

Quote:
I dont get any of that with my cars except my xray 808 and i use hudy premium bearing grease on it
Because its blue and is slightly tacky which means it dosent fly out when its running and if it dose i can see it
Old 10-04-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
To be honest Jez i'm not suprised that this is happening - that joint takes all the load/shock that on the diff outputs is shared, your TM2 is/was? one of the first being raced at Silverstone so its had a pretty busy life already & the high grip surface (combined with the gear diff) at Moulton can't help.

On building up my TM2 I lubed up all the UJ/Dogbone joints with the white lithium grease that you can buy from cycle shops - i've been using this on the joints of my touring car driveshafts for a while now & have noticed much reduced wear - we used it on the Dogbones of the car we raced in the 24hr event at Ardent last year where in the previous year outdrive wear had been a major issue but we experienced very little if no wear over the 24hrs of constant running (although admittedly this car was only running a 17.5 on 'Blinky' with a more forgiving drivetrain)

Obviously time will tell as to whether this lubricant helps extend the life of my driveshaft/output parts on the TM2 but its got to worth a try!

http://www.mickscycles.co.uk/ecom-ca...ike-lubes.html
Its top stuff, best £2.50 you will spend..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weldtite-L...81081626838%26
Old 10-04-2013

Ahhh the joys of gear diffs

Mines from the second batch and i can allready see the wear on the center driveshaft and the diff outdrives, it's the price you pay for having the direct drive of the gear diff, a ball diff takes a lot of strain off the drive train.

Grease will help, but rather than buy a new driveshaft why not see if you can press the old pin out and fit a new one? You only need some hardened 2.5mm? steel shaft cut to length I know i've got some old hingepins i plan to try it with when mines gone.

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC
Old 10-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by x313 View Post
Its top stuff, best £2.50 you will spend..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weldtite-L...81081626838%26
Thanks for the tip - that's ours ordered!
Old 10-04-2013
Mad Member

If you can push it out I use these on my 1/8th car if it helps. There 2.5x15.8mm

http://www.futureworldmodels.com/aca...nfo_C0265.html

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 11-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Ahhh the joys of gear diffs

Mines from the second batch and i can allready see the wear on the center driveshaft and the diff outdrives, it's the price you pay for having the direct drive of the gear diff, a ball diff takes a lot of strain off the drive train.

Grease will help, but rather than buy a new driveshaft why not see if you can press the old pin out and fit a new one? You only need some hardened 2.5mm? steel shaft cut to length I know i've got some old hingepins i plan to try it with when mines gone.
Hudy make a tool for that job
Old 11-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee24h View Post
Hudy make a tool for that job
I can see a Hudy tool for 3mm pins - Do they do one for 2.5 pins?
Old 11-04-2013

Quote:
Thanks for your replies gents.

Dan, does the lithium grease stay on the components and not "fling" off under centrifugal force? Can it be used between the Diff gear and the other one, inside the casing?
Yes & Yes The white grease seems to stay where it should & I've also used it on the bevel gears.
Old 12-04-2013

Think so they do one for the touring car pins and one for the 8th scale pins
Old 29-04-2013

Has anybody tried to press this pin out? Ours has worn 50% of the pin away and now needs replacing. Going to give it a go this week
Old 30-04-2013

Yes, it can be done. I made a rough tool to hold the shaft (similar to the Hudy one) & pressed the pin out in a vise..very tight tho'
Pm me if you have problems..Cheers, Gord..
Old 30-04-2013
Mad Member

Onekiwi tried using a hinge pin, it appears to be different material and wore very fast!!

If its only slightly flattened (10%?), try rotating it by 90 degrees, then you can use the same pin at least twice, 4 times if you a) catch it soon enough and b) don't mind a bit of slack on the idle side of the pin......