Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 28-10-2011

Default Home Audi Help

Hello ha, Firstly it should read AUDIO So ignore that bit

Quick question for you all. I'm looking at find a temp solution to a sub issue im having. Basically im saving up for a new one but in the mean time id like to wire in my old sony sub into my av reciever. However i dont know if there is, or if i cant find the lead that i need to do so.

Have a look at the pictures and let me know if you know of a way of conencting the both.

The AV's plug is the small one just to the left of centre i think its a stereo connector? and the back of the sub i have is a - +. Ive had a little google but cant see anything that will solve my problem

Would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

Danny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG (28.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (43.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 28-10-2011
Mad Member

Is it 3.5mm jack? If so chop up an old set of headphones.
Old 28-10-2011
Mad Member

does your amp have a dedicated (amplified) set of speaker connections labelled for a sub?
you sub needs connecting to an amplified source just like a regular speaker via the regular speaker type spring clip terminals.
if your amp has a subwoofer line out socket (which i'm guessing it has looking at that pic) you can easily conect an active sub using the line out connection.
but you will need an active sub. ie one with an internal amplifier
Old 29-10-2011

Thats a Sony AV amp as well isn't it?

That Amp only supports an active sub and the one you have is a passive sub.
What that means is that you have to get a powered amp as that output only provides a line output so even if you connected it as someone has said you wouldn't hear a thing.

The only option i would suggest would be to wire the sub into either the right or left side front. With that amp (if it is like mine) you have the option to bi-wire, (run 2 wires) to the front speakers (speaker mode b) so you can set it to that mode and use one of the outputs to power the sub.

The terminals to use are the ones to the left of the botom row, visible on the picture you have posted to the left.

Another tip, pop the plastic plugs out of the ends of the terminals and solder some corrally plugs to your speaker wires!

X4TE
X2C

Last edited by pro4nut; 29-10-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spotted somting in d pic
Old 29-10-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

I dont know the amp and cant really make out which terminals you have on the back exactly but if you dont have a high level sub output (already amplified) you could try bridging 2 speaker outputs (only if the amp allows it!!!) to give a more powerful output, and then use a low pass filter to get rid of all the frequencies you dont want the sub to reproduce- user choice but you dont want anything over 120hz really
Old 29-10-2011

i wouldn't do that myself mostly as you don't need to. Had a look at the manual for my amp which is an str-dh600 which is of the same series as yours. those unused speaker outputs you have are for the mid left mid right channel or for bi wiring the fronts.

X4TE
X2C
Old 31-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4nut View Post
i wouldn't do that myself mostly as you don't need to. Had a look at the manual for my amp which is an str-dh600 which is of the same series as yours. those unused speaker outputs you have are for the mid left mid right channel or for bi wiring the fronts.
This is the reciever

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-ho...iver/str-dh810

This is the back to have a look at. http://sp.sony-europe.com/da/186/92676.jpeg

I've taken your advice on the connectors and wired in some proper connectors. It looks much better now, just still trying to figure out if i can temporarily wire in this sub (so it will actually do its job) whilst saving up.

Im assuming from your advice it will? I just need to wire it up with two wire? one for the left and onoe for the right?
Old 01-11-2011

If you just run red to red white to white, either channel (left or right) is fine as the lower range the sub speaker operates at is non directional.

X4TE
X2C