Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Brake Cleaner

So when my car was getting caked in dirt I asked a couple of fellow racers how they were cleaning their vehicles (10th buggies) and they answered "just use brake cleaner".

So I bought some today, got home tonight and sprayed my gear with it, then wiped everything drive with cloth.

Then I notice lots of threads/posts on other forums about how terrible brake cleaner is on plastics! Doh!

So I was using a wynns None-chlorinated spray, it doesn't warn about plastics anywhere and does say its electrical safe (dumbly I assumed it was just like motor spray)...my question is, how quickly would it corrode servo case and or receiver wire insulation etc? How long before I know if I've wrecked god knows how much equipment!?
Old 16-04-2013
Mad Member

I would say as the stuff evaporates (and quite quickly too), your plastics are not exposed to it very long. If you'd put the plastics under prolonged exposure in a can/jar of the stuff I can imagine it indeed can do some serious harm to your items.

Normally I don't use brake cleaner on plastics either, but this weekend I was pretty sloppy changing the oil in my shocks and I degreased the top shock cap by spraying brake cleaner over it. The shock caps didn't die on me (just yet), so afaik all is good.

If you really want to find out what brake cleaner does to plastics, get some old/broken parts of your car, put them in a jar with the brake cleaner and see what happens after a few days.
Old 16-04-2013
Mad Member

I think you are fine Dave
As far as I know they are both 111 trichloroethane
(Same solvent)
Should be fine
Hth's